Never draft a RB in the 1st round

HappyDays

52 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

you are basing this statement on a one game sample size?

More threads are being opened by "enlightened" fans who somehow think what happened most recently is the new trend.

I'm just going to chalk it up to the millennial perspective. Everything is now and that's all that matters.

:lol:

I am not a big fan of RBs early. I think by and large the league has got it right in recent years

Zeke was a top 10 player

Fournette and Gurley were also first round talents. Melvin Gordon wasn't and nor was McCaffrey in my opinion.

I think they are the only ones to have gone in the first the last 5 or 6 years aren't they? 

All 3 of those 1st round guys were special for their teams this year. 

53 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You can add Fournette to that list as well. He carried his team against Pittsburgh. Mark Ingram had another Pro Bowl season. The best RBs go early. They can change a team.

We agree on something Kirby!! :)

Ricky Williams was first round too. He was amazing, just decided to go be a pothead and travel the world in his prime.

Chris Johnson

Jonathan Stewart

Steven Jackson

Larry Johnson

Tomlinson

Michael Bennett

Jamal Lewis

Shaun Alexander

Edge

Fred Taylor

All those guys were studs in the first round, some taken early too (#1-5)

There's a bunch of busts too, but I'm with you Kirby you can def get an elite back that can help carry a team.

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Blount is extremely talented and would have been drafted fairly early ... but he sucker punched a Boise St player in the face

Yes, you can find good RBs anywhere...

But MOST of the elite backs of recent are all taken in the first 2 rounds

AP (1st)

Zeke(1st)

Bell(2nd)

Gurley(1st)

Shady(2nd)

Melvin Gordon (1st)

Lynch(1st)

I wouldn't mind taking a RB in the 3rd or 4th because we'll get a good one

You left Spiller out?!?!?!?!

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

All 3 of those 1st round guys were special for their teams this year. 

Sure but what are the odds they remain productive with the same team 5 years from now? I'm pretty sure the odds of that are much lower for RBs than any other position. I can't think of a single time that happened this decade actually. Maybe Leveon Bell and Pittsburgh work out their differences, that would be the first in a while if my memory is right.

20 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

It would seem that you’d want the spend first round picks on positions that have a longer shelf life. Has anyone ever studied which roster spots have the longest NFL careers by average.....except kickers of course.

Good OLmen tend to have pretty long careers if their knees hold up.

11 minutes ago, Gugny said:

You left Spiller out?!?!?!?!

He spilled him

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Sure but what are the odds they remain productive with the same team 5 years from now? I'm pretty sure the odds of that are much lower for RBs than any other position. I can't think of a single time that happened this decade actually. Maybe Leveon Bell and Pittsburgh work out their differences, that would be the first in a while if my memory is right.

Hmmm...

This decade, so you want do 2001-2012 drafts?

I'll do first and second round RBS who remained with the team that drafted them for 5 productive years. 

That will include the 5 year rule of 2012-2017.

(We cannot include 13-17 drafts because they haven't been in the NFL 5 years)

2001:

-Ladanian Tomlinson (1) 

-Deuce McAllister (1)

2002:

-Clinton portis (2) I'm including him because he was traded for champ Bailey and then was productive, as was Baily

2004:

-Steven Jackson (1)

2006:

-Reggie bush (1) giving it to him bc he was a big part of their offense, even if it wasn't all rushing

-Maurice Jones drew (2) 

2007:

-AP (1)

2008:

-Jonathan Stewart (2)

2009:

-shady (2) 

2011:

-mark Ingram (1)

That's all that fit your criteria

(Not making any conclusions)

• Thank you (+1) 1

Sorry, but if Barkley is there when we pick in the 20s (NO way this happens), you take him and don't think twice about it.

19 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Until you find a back like Barkley.

This dude is so legit..... Easily a top 5 pick.

This dude is going to be the best back in the league for about a decade.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, DisplacedBillsFan said:

Sorry, but if Barkley is there when we pick in the 20s (NO way this happens), you take him and don't think twice about it.

That’s why you never say never. Can backs be had later? Of course! But I think the Cowboys like having Elliott on the field...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Blount is extremely talented and would have been drafted fairly early ... but he sucker punched a Boise St player in the face

Yes, you can find good RBs anywhere...

But MOST of the elite backs of recent are all taken in the first 2 rounds

AP (1st)

Zeke(1st)

Bell(2nd)

Gurley(1st)

Shady(2nd)

Melvin Gordon (1st)

Lynch(1st)

I wouldn't mind taking a RB in the 3rd or 4th because we'll get a good one

...possibly.....pretty impressive "three headed monster" for Eagles......sure Bflo has some unfortunate RB injuries, but advertising as a "run first team" with only ONE stallion in the stable is asinine.......thank God Shady stayed relatively healthy.............without him, all that was left in the stable were "Mr. Ed's"........we definitely need some solid depth.....

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Augie said:

That’s why you never say never. Can backs be had later? Of course! But I think the Cowboys like having Elliott on the field...

Agreed, I will go on the line and say Barkley is going to be way better when it's all said and done barring injury.

• Like (+1) 1