Never draft a RB in the 1st round

HappyDays

42 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

It's a crazy story. Back in 2015 he was effectively banished, stripped of authority and sent around the building because Chip Kelly wanted to be GM. He got brought back after Kelly imploded. In 2016 he gets Carson Wentz. In 2017, he assembles a Super Bowl squad.

I know, right?  And then go further: Roseman must be part of drafting Nick Foles in 2012.  Kelly comes in banishes Rosen, gets a great season out of Foles in 2013, isn't happy with his progress in 2014 before he's injured, and decides to ship him off to Purgatory ..... I mean the Rams.....in favor of Sam the oft-injured Man Bradford. 

Next thing we know,  Kelly is out, Roseman is restored to his former position, the opportunity arises to bring Foles back for $3M this year (which, if you're keeping track, is $1.4M more than Wentz 2017 salary), and Foles wins the Superbowl for the team that 1) drafted him 2) kicked him to the curb 3) returned him as a backup

You couldn't write this stuff in a novel.  Folks would dismiss it as too far-fetched.

But to the OP...

It's an interesting case. *Good* RB's are indeed a dime a dozen, and can be obtained pretty easily in the 3rd-5th rounds.

RBs that change the game, like Shady, or Bell or Zeke can, well, they go higher.

Agreed.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not a big fan of RBs early. I think by and large the league has got it right in recent years

Zeke was a top 10 player

Fournette and Gurley were also first round talents. Melvin Gordon wasn't and nor was McCaffrey in my opinion.

I think they are the only ones to have gone in the first the last 5 or 6 years aren't they? 

All 3 of those 1st round guys were special for their teams this year. 

They represent the percentage of successful RBs that were worth their draft spot. 

If everyone starts drafting one in the 1st those #s go down.

The #of players that live up to their draft spot is another can of worms.

:ninja:

Edit: Super :ph34r:

7 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I can't think of a single 1st or 2nd round RB that won a Super Bowl with the team that drafted them, in the last 10 years or so anyways. Maybe I'm forgetting someone. They're too susceptible to injury and have a short shelf life so I've always thought high RB picks are a waste. I think Pederson is ahead of the curve here. Don't build around one RB, get 2-3 guys that you can use interchangeably in different roles. Offensive line is more important.

Its really a percentage. Youre only gonna have a few RBs that are worth the 1st round pick but with the league moving on to more pass heavy teams you have to be 100% sure hes gonna be that guy.

Its almost a luxery pick now.

Edited by FearLess Price
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Do you know who was the last 1st or 2nd round RB who played in the Super Bowl with the team that drafted them? I can't remember one.

Stewart with the Panthers 1st

Moreno for Denver 1st

had to look up the second name...