Never draft a RB in the 1st round

HappyDays

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Ajayi - drafted in 5th round

Blount - undrafted

Clement - undrafted

I would go so far as to say never draft one before round 3.

Blount is extremely talented and would have been drafted fairly early ... but he sucker punched a Boise St player in the face

Yes, you can find good RBs anywhere...

But MOST of the elite backs of recent are all taken in the first 2 rounds

AP (1st)

Zeke(1st)

Bell(2nd)

Gurley(1st)

Shady(2nd)

Melvin Gordon (1st)

Lynch(1st)

I wouldn't mind taking a RB in the 3rd or 4th because we'll get a good one

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Blount is extremely talented and would have been drafted fairly early ... but he sucker punched a Boise St player in the face

AP (1st)

Zeke(1st)

Bell(2nd)

Gurley(1st)

Shady(2nd)

Melvin Gordon (1st)

Lynch(1st)

Fournette

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

AP (1st)

Zeke(1st)

Bell(2nd)

Gurley(1st)

Shady(2nd)

Melvin Gordon (1st)

Lynch(1st)

You can add Fournette to that list as well. He carried his team against Pittsburgh. Mark Ingram had another Pro Bowl season. The best RBs go early. They can change a team.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You can add Fournette to that list as well. He carried his team against Pittsburgh. Mark Ingram had another Pro Bowl season. The best RBs go early. They can change a team.

Yes I know I forgot Fournette, and Ingram went first as well

Elite backs go early

Edited by Buffalo716

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The best RBs go early. They can change a team.

I can't think of a single 1st or 2nd round RB that won a Super Bowl with the team that drafted them, in the last 10 years or so anyways. Maybe I'm forgetting someone. They're too susceptible to injury and have a short shelf life so I've always thought high RB picks are a waste. I think Pederson is ahead of the curve here. Don't build around one RB, get 2-3 guys that you can use interchangeably in different roles. Offensive line is more important.

13 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yes I know I forgot Fournette, and Ingram went first as well

Elite backs go early

*nods*

Guys, it depends upon what you want from your running game.  New England gets good run yardage out of "who?" because the opponent's rightful focus on Brady and his arsenal of targets creates opportunities almost any competent, hard-going RB could exploit.

You want a run game that can drive the team forward and create opportunities for a QB who can't light the D up like a pinball machine, draft Elliot or Fournette.

Last night, in case anyone missed it, Foles was pretty much lighting up the Patriots D with his arm, so yeah, that left opportunities in the run game.

13 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I can't think of a single 1st or 2nd round RB that won a Super Bowl with the team that drafted them, in the last 10 years or so anyways. Maybe I'm forgetting someone. They're too susceptible to injury and have a short shelf life so I've always thought high RB picks are a waste. I think Pederson is ahead of the curve here. Don't build around one RB, get 2-3 guys that you can use interchangeably in different roles. Offensive line is more important.

I'm having trouble following the argument here.  If a team chooses to waste a high draft pick by letting a top player walk or trading them, or fails to put enough pieces around them to win a Super Bowl, isn't that on the team?  If a top RB is traded or cut, goes to another team, and helps them win a championship, does that somehow lessen his contribution?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If a top RB is traded or cut, goes to another team, and helps them win a championship, does that somehow lessen his contribution?

I think this happens more with RBs than any other position. I can't remember many instances where a team drafted an RB high and actually re-signed them to a huge deal. Could just be selective memory but I remember a lot of hold outs involving RBs By the time you hit the 5th year option they're probably already 27 years old and 2-3 years away from the dreaded wall.

32 minutes ago, ProcessTheTrust said:

"Don't usually draft a RB in the 1st rd". Agreed.

"Never"? Nah...as stated, there are a handful you can justify.

agreed, how far back are we allowed to go to support 1st rd RBs???

13 minutes ago, ProcessTheTrust said:

Right? If the Giants are indeed happy with Eli for a couple more years, with their injured WR crew coming back, you add Barkley....oh boy!

i can remember a few decent RBs taken in the 1st round, but i'm going more than 4 decades ago for some of them...