Never draft a RB in the 1st round

HappyDays

Although drafting running backs in the first round isnt always necessary it doesn't mean that they're still Aren't game changing running backs that could and should be taken early in the first round.  I think we have sort of seen a second wave of young stud running back's that have been taken in the first round That have really transformed franchises.   Fournette, zeke, gurley come to mind.  When Zeke was out Dallas looks like a completely limited offensive team.  Even guys like Adrian Peterson when he was drafted he completely changed that Vikings team

35 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Baloney!  You think Jim Brown would have lasted until the third round?  Perhaps you never saw him play, and possibly all the other historically prolific backs that went in the first two rounds.  Or perhaps Fournette was merely a mistake.

...of course not...but you're talking about significantly eras of the game ........if memory serves me, the last MAJOR RB contract extension was Shaun Alexander (In March 2006, Alexander signed an eight-year, $62 million contract $15.1 million of which was guaranteed ) for huge money in that day and then he virtually disappeared at age 30......could have been where the "age 30 RB" downturn idea was born.......wasn't Shanahan's Broncos offenses referred to "plug 'n play" RB's easily to gain 1,000+ yds?.......so in this era, 1st rounders like Gurley, Zeke or Fournette are less frequent.......from what I have been reading, this Barkley kid may be the next 1st rounder.....

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Sure but what are the odds they remain productive with the same team 5 years from now? I'm pretty sure the odds of that are much lower for RBs than any other position. I can't think of a single time that happened this decade actually. Maybe Leveon Bell and Pittsburgh work out their differences, that would be the first in a while if my memory is right.

Gurley and Zeke i would say very high. Fournette's running style does concern me in terms of multiple year production. 

2 hours ago, prissythecat said:

you are basing this statement on a one game sample size?

You took the words out of my mouth. The OP shows how important quality RB are. I personally want a RB in the second round. We need as good a backup to Shady as we can find, it's important.

Tom Brady is the best QB ever. Should teams not draft first Rd QBs because of that?

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

You left Spiller out?!?!?!?!

Beat me to it. 

Get this man in space and he is unstoppable....until he gets winded.

My favourite running style he had was the horizontal run for 0 yards.  He knew how to get out of bounds and save his body from the hits.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, KW95 said:

Beat me to it. 

Get this man in space and he is unstoppable....until he gets winded.

My favourite running style he had was the horizontal run for 0 yards.  He knew how to get out of bounds and save his body from the hits.

RUN HIM TILL HE PUKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

42 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...of course not...but you're talking about significantly eras of the game ........if memory serves me, the last MAJOR RB contract extension was Shaun Alexander (In March 2006, Alexander signed an eight-year, $62 million contract $15.1 million of which was guaranteed ) for huge money in that day and then he virtually disappeared at age 30......could have been where the "age 30 RB" downturn idea was born.......wasn't Shanahan's Broncos offenses referred to "plug 'n play" RB's easily to gain 1,000+ yds?.......so in this era, 1st rounders like Gurley, Zeke or Fournette are less frequent.......from what I have been reading, this Barkley kid may be the next 1st rounder.....

I will say that Davis was a beast.

He was what happens when you put a very good to great player into a "plug and play" system (portis too)

8 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

I will say that Davis was a beast.

He was what happens when you put a very good to great player into a "plug and play" system (portis too)

...great observations........and yes Davis was....ACL/MCL cut his career short, but I'm glad to see he made it to HOF.....as a 6th round pick no less.............

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...great observations........and yes Davis was....ACL/MCL cut his career short, but I'm glad to see he made it to HOF.....as a 6th round pick no less.............

Definitely.

The man was a legit monster.

Loved watching him.

The MCL was really what wrecked him.

Severe MCL and LCL injuries kill side to side agility/cutting ability

each player is part of a puzzle the GM and Coach envision. Philly had two starting QBs, they have paid well for them too. They have great talent all over the field on offense. when you have quality players all over the place you can run "your" system"

So in this case with the Eagles and elite RB was not needed for them to be effective.

I do not think anything is definitive with drawing lines in the sand with Football. Its a soup.

7 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Definitely.

The man was a legit monster.

Loved watching him.

The MCL was really what wrecked him.

Severe MCL and LCL injuries kill side to side agility/cutting ability

...glad he landed on NFLN as a valued contributor.....really like him, Willie Mc & LT..........all HOF boyz......Deion & Irvin?...meh....nauseating..............

13 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...glad he landed on NFLN as a valued contributor.....really like him, Willie Mc & LT..........all HOF boyz......Deion & Irvin?...meh....nauseating..............

I love deion only because he is zero f*cks given with anything he says.

Irving too.

I always enjoyed their arrogance, it made them fun to hate, kind of like a WWF villain.

Plus they have great suits lolol

3 hours ago, ProcessTheTrust said:

The Eagles GM deserves all the awards. He crushed it, through and through.

It's a crazy story. Back in 2015 he was effectively banished, stripped of authority and sent around the building because Chip Kelly wanted to be GM. He got brought back after Kelly imploded. In 2016 he gets Carson Wentz. In 2017, he assembles a Super Bowl squad.

But to the OP...

It's an interesting case. *Good* RB's are indeed a dime a dozen, and can be obtained pretty easily in the 3rd-5th rounds.

RBs that change the game, like Shady, or Bell or Zeke can, well, they go higher.

3 minutes ago, Steve O said:

So, 3 pages and no one has pointed out that Foles was drafted in the third and Brady the sixth? Guess we shouldn't draft QB's before round 3? 

Do you know who was the last 1st or 2nd round RB who played in the Super Bowl with the team that drafted them? I can't remember one.