Bob Costas Dumped From NBC Super Bowl Team

Rico

2 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

I agree that Costas is too bright to be fulfilled by sports broadcasting alone.  He is no doubt a huge sports fan, but the guy could have done a lot more and I often wonder why he didn't want to go the news broadcasting route, for example.

He could have been another Dan Rather/Tom Brokaw/Peter Jennings type.

Maybe he didn't like the work load those daily anchors had. It seems like i very rarely ever hear or see Costas. Those other guys work 5 days a week year round and then do other special things throughout the year.

7 hours ago, KD in CA said:

I've always liked Costas but it seems like he got very preachy in recent years.

He, like a lot of broadcasters and sports journalists started becoming political in recent years. And no matter where one stands on issues, it's unnecessary to inject politics into sports.

I think most of us watch the games as a diversion from everyday life. Still not sure why someone like Costas thinks he can tell us how to think about certain issues.

For some it seems like they're trying to hurt the sport or sports that has made them.  The NFL seems to be some sports media types' target.

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

That comes from being a Syracuse Newhouse grad. :D

hey, watch it.  SU Grads are great.  Bob was great, until he decided to become preachy.  This is a problem that impacts a lot of sportscasters, IMO.  They are not really reporting "real news," and I think get a bit jealous of those that do.  Regardless, the really great sportscasters make listening to the game fantastic.  

4 hours ago, JinxedBill1 said:

It has to be their decision so I can't fault you in it.  My boys aren't old enough yet but when they are I'll be honest with them about it.  Scares the heck out of me though.  I got about 5 years before they are old enough to start playing, should be interesting to see where CTE is in that time span and the NFL.  

One of the many reasons I am so happy to have girls. They know I played and my eldest has asked me about it, but she's much more keen on soccer, dance and gymnastics. Injuries can be bad in two of the three, but nothing like the concussions I, and the vast majority of college and pro football players, suffered. If CTE is caused by concussions, I can add myself to the list as I estimate about 8 or 9.

1 hour ago, Badthingsman said:

It all started going downhill after this:

ku-xlarge.jpg.3019a46326419255b8a53a90bc886ec4.jpg

What were the circumstances surrounding this photo?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Helpmenow said:

Bob is a baseball guy thru and thru. Intelligent guy just over top 

it's Phys Ed teacher syndrome, you get older and it's not as fun anymore to play along with games and ignore deeper issues.

2 hours ago, BillsVet said:

He, like a lot of broadcasters and sports journalists started becoming political in recent years. And no matter where one stands on issues, it's unnecessary to inject politics into sports.

I think most of us watch the games as a diversion from everyday life. Still not sure why someone like Costas thinks he can tell us how to think about certain issues.

For some it seems like they're trying to hurt the sport or sports that has made them.  The NFL seems to be some sports media types' target.

This sums up the issue well.  Everything does not have to be political.  He is the worse example - gives his opinion and degrades those who disagree.