Bob Costas Dumped From NBC Super Bowl Team

Rico

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He doesn't care and his legacy as a great broadcaster is cemented.

getting to call the big game is more precious than oxygen to men this accustomed

being forced out early will hurt huge to him

5 hours ago, Gordio said:

I finally let my son play last year in 7th grade.  He played this year also.  I got to tell you I wrestled with this one for a long time but in the end he wanted to play & I didn't want to be the guy depriving him of that.  Careless parenting maybe, time will tell.  My son is a pretty good athlete, he plays high level travel baseball & is very good at basketball.  I love watching him play those two sports.   I don't get any enjoyment out of watching him play football.  I am always worried about him getting hurt & I just don't find high school football that interesting; at least at the Freshman/JV level where my son plays.  He is on th fence about going out for the team next year.  I hope he choses to go out for the golf team instead. 

Best pitcher I grew up with separated his shoulder returning a punt on the freshman HS football team. Baseball was done, as was basketball. Shoulder would always pop occasionally. Does to this day.

I get that kids want to play football, but it is a brutal sport that can end athletic careers early. I second your hope for the golf team!

12 hours ago, Rico said:

https://nypost.com/2018/01/22/did-nbc-dump-bob-costas-from-super-bowl-for-concussion-talk/

Very glad this douche didn't get to go out on his own terms.

I will give him props though for playing himself in Pootietang. Sa da tay!

Thank God. That means no soapbox ranting will be spewed from that Tyrion Lannister stunt double. 

1 hour ago, MiltonWaddams said:

One of the many reasons I am so happy to have girls. They know I played and my eldest has asked me about it, but she's much more keen on soccer, dance and gymnastics. Injuries can be bad in two of the three, but nothing like the concussions I, and the vast majority of college and pro football players, suffered. If CTE is caused by concussions, I can add myself to the list as I estimate about 8 or 9.

What were the circumstances surrounding this photo?

When he had pink eye during the Olympics.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Dalton said:

This sums up the issue well.  Everything does not have to be political.  He is the worse example - gives his opinion and degrades those who disagree.  

Huh.   I guess different folks have different takes.

I look at Costas injecting his own opinions as a 'maturation' thing.   He's been involved in an incredible amount of sports history and has been doing this forever.    As guys like Costas grow older, I'm sure it gets harder and harder for them to just be tele-prompter readers and generic 'talent.'

If he wants to say what he wants, I say fine.    Bully, Bully.     Some may have differing POVs, but in an utra PC-world I thought he was interesting and thoughtful and a guy I liked to listen to.   Peter King's another great commentator who says what he wants--and could care less if you disagree--who always has something interesting to say.  As opposed to look-at-me A-holes like Kornholer and SAS...

Edited by Lurker
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

hey, watch it.  SU Grads are great.  Bob was great, until he decided to become preachy.  This is a problem that impacts a lot of sportscasters, IMO.  They are not really reporting "real news," and I think get a bit jealous of those that do.  Regardless, the really great sportscasters make listening to the game fantastic.  

Hey, I went to Newhouse for two years. I know the level of douchey they produce. 

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

I yearn for the days when actors just read lines, news reporters read the news, and sportscasters announced the game! Somehow now, if you have a microphone in front of your pie hole these folks think we care what their opinion is.  We don't!

Walter Cronkite and Edward R. Murrow say Hello.

17 hours ago, Rico said:

https://nypost.com/2018/01/22/did-nbc-dump-bob-costas-from-super-bowl-for-concussion-talk/

Very glad this douche didn't get to go out on his own terms.

I will give him props though for playing himself in Pootietang. Sa da tay!

Wa da tah!!!

16 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Why the hate for Costas?  Honest question.  And just for clarification can you answer yes or no if you made it out of high school?

10 hours ago, JinxedBill1 said:

I never was a fan of his as he came off sarcastic and self righteous.  Not his content, just the way he presented himself and the material.

That being said he is completely right about CTE and concussions.  I won't let my kids play football.  I'll watch, as hypocritical as that sounds, but the day they stop playing because people don't want to risk it I won't blame them for it.

Bob Costas was happy to take all that CTE soaked money for many years....until he decided it didn't look so good on Bob Costas to be taking all that CTE money.

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

Huh.   I guess different folks have different takes.

I look at Costas injecting his own opinions as a 'maturation' thing.   He's been involved in an incredible amount of sports history and has been doing this forever.    As guys like Costas grow older, I'm sure it gets harder and harder for them to just be tele-prompter readers and generic 'talent.'

If he wants to say what he wants, I say fine.    Bully, Bully.     Some may have differing POVs, but in an utra PC-world I thought he was interesting and thoughtful and a guy I liked to listen to.   Peter King's another great commentator who says what he wants--and could care less if you disagree--who always has something interesting to say.  As opposed to look-at-me A-holes like Kornholer and SAS...

Nope.  You cannot become a grumpy old man and still hang around like a gym rat.  As noted earlier, Cosell was the first to start preaching to the fans and Costas has picked up this habit.

I admired them and agree with a lot of the things they have said about sports being hurtful in this world, but this conversation is not welcome in the daily grind of sports.

So adapt and accept the changes and failures or pack it in and retire, as a fan and announcer....

6 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

One of the many reasons I am so happy to have girls. They know I played and my eldest has asked me about it, but she's much more keen on soccer, dance and gymnastics. Injuries can be bad in two of the three, but nothing like the concussions I, and the vast majority of college and pro football players, suffered. If CTE is caused by concussions, I can add myself to the list as I estimate about 8 or 9.

What were the circumstances surrounding this photo?

Dude got a hold of some killer weed and went down from there.  

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, row_33 said:

getting to call the big game is more precious than oxygen to men this accustomed

being forced out early will hurt huge to him

No particular reason to think so except that you want to believe it.

He certainly does seem conflicted about football. May well have been a mutual decision or a decision he didn't mind. No way to know but nobody on the inside is saying anything different.

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Bob Costas was happy to take all that CTE soaked money for many years....until he decided it didn't look so good on Bob Costas to be taking all that CTE money.

CTE and the level of connection to head trauma is a relatively new find.

When I was a lad back in the late Paleolithic Era, we were pretty sure football caused health problems but it was generally assumed it would be joint problems, back problems, knee problems, etc.

6 hours ago, row_33 said:

Nope.  You cannot become a grumpy old man and still hang around like a gym rat.  As noted earlier, Cosell was the first to start preaching to the fans and Costas has picked up this habit.

I admired them and agree with a lot of the things they have said about sports being hurtful in this world, but this conversation is not welcome in the daily grind of sports.

So adapt and accept the changes and failures or pack it in and retire, as a fan and announcer....

If I were a broadcaster, I would absolutely love being compared to Cosell. He was an all-time great. I loved listening to the guy, especially when he went off-trail. Loved his stuff right up to the end.

I live overseas and haven't kept track of Costas, but as the guy you replied to said, I'm a major Peter King fan, and love when he too talks about stuff other than football. If you don't, fair enough, but there's nothing wrong with it.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, billsintaiwan said:

Best pitcher I grew up with separated his shoulder returning a punt on the freshman HS football team. Baseball was done, as was basketball. Shoulder would always pop occasionally. Does to this day.

I get that kids want to play football, but it is a brutal sport that can end athletic careers early. I second your hope for the golf team!

Agreed. I think too often we force kids into sports or mainstream sports in general. I coached rowing for a long time and have 2 anecdotal stories both different paths from HS before I moved to college and national team work.

1. Freshman. 6 foot. 170 lbs. Made varsity soccer and was the kicker for JV football. Great athlete. Good at a to of sports. Came to rowing. Took off. Won a national championship his freshman year. Rowed at Princeton. Then rowed for team USA and won medals at the world championships. Wasn’t good enough to be great at the other sports. Found his niche, and excelled. Graduated valedictorian at CHS then magna cum laude at Princeton. Went on to win a few medals at the wold championships for team USA. We stay in touch a decade later. 

2. Freshman. Undersized. Good technically. Great kid. Good having him in any boat, but never ever made any boat faster. Left rowing after his sophomore year. Ran track. Distance runner. Sub 4:30 mile in HS. Won a few national championships in college. Great kid. Also still stay in regular touch with. 

The point is. These young men found something they wanted to do, outside of what they were good at for a number of reasons. We don’t need to keep pushing kids into football and hockey because “sports”. Find what these kids are good at. Support it and enable it. My career is built on winning national championships, but that doesn’t mean the #2 is apart of that.

Help guide guide kids into their paths. Learn succes; whether it’s recycling club or staring QB/PG. Then support once they find the passion. Stop emploring the back up QB that football is life when he could be a world class runner, javelin thrower, or political organizer.

People arenlosing track of their today for other people’s tomorrows. Football isn’t bad, but let football players play football. Encourage kids strengths and I bet we see head injuries decrease in some fashion. 

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

No particular reason to think so except that you want to believe it.

He certainly does seem conflicted about football. May well have been a mutual decision or a decision he didn't mind. No way to know but nobody on the inside is saying anything different.

CTE and the level of connection to head trauma is a relatively new find.

When I was a lad back in the late Paleolithic Era, we were pretty sure football caused health problems but it was generally assumed it would be joint problems, back problems, knee problems, etc.

If I were a broadcaster, I would absolutely love being compared to Cosell. He was an all-time great. I loved listening to the guy, especially when he went off-trail. Loved his stuff right up to the end.

I live overseas and haven't kept track of Costas, but as the guy you replied to said, I'm a major Peter King fan, and love when he too talks about stuff other than football. If you don't, fair enough, but there's nothing wrong with it.

Men with outstanding careers have trouble walking away from it, many die within months after losing their power, seen it happen to several during my life. 

Not to say this is happening here, but if he really enjoyed working on air then a major life adjustment is coming right now.

not many people honestly loved everything Cosell did, it was sad for his last years when he was clearly not well and losing his talents. 

Very few on this board talk about national sports media, except to rip into them.

10 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Men with outstanding careers have trouble walking away from it, many die within months after losing their power, seen it happen to several during my life. 

Not to say this is happening here, but if he really enjoyed working on air then a major life adjustment is coming right now.

not many people honestly loved everything Cosell did, it was sad for his last years when he was clearly not well and losing his talents. 

Certainly that happens with some, but plenty of other men with outstanding careers walk away just fine. Agreed that a major adjustment is coming for him, and for anyone who retires, really.

IMHO Cosell didn't lose much near the end, he just went out of fashion.

One great made a horrible career blunder sending his agent brother in to try to majorly increase his salary calling top NFL games and wound up on the college circuit (a huge drop) and I recall I saw him calling games last year with a small potatoes conference, they just can’t walk away.

lots of folks losing their prestige TV jobs these days in a matter of seconds... hasn’t hit the sports world hard so far....

Then again a few great sports gigs have been relinquished recently but not for misconduct reasons.

On January 24, 2018 at 7:23 AM, Fadingpain said:

I can see why NBC would want to silence Costas.

He represents everything the corporate ownership of this country despises.  

He is intelligent, articulate, and a critical thinker.

He probably scares the hell out of everyone involved.

I would love to see Costas continue in his career in a non-traditional role in which he doesn't work for a corporate interest.

He's the smartest thing that ever touched sports broadcasting in America.

He's a commie.