If the Bills get a veteran QB...........

njbuff

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Most scouts and execs will admit that Rosen is the better QB today

he also has great pocket presence and throws a great ball to all levels. He is more accurate than Darnold 

I love Darnold but he just led Division 1 in turnovers and can admit Rosen is better today 

I don’t think that’s true at all. Unless you can give me a poll that shows what scouts/execs think...

He might “look the part” better (means nothing) but he’s nowhere near hands down better. Also, he is absolutely not more accurate than Darnold. 

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Disagree.

I think the main reason the Bills traded down in last year's draft and traded Watkins and Darby was to accrue the ammunition to trade up in this draft for a QB.

In terms of value (if you're going by one of those "charts") to get into the top 5 the Bills would have to give up 2 1sts this year (which we have) and 1 2nd (which we have 2 of).  Isn't it worth going up and getting your future Franchise QB (assuming McBeane are that much in love with one of these guys) and being left with "only" 1 pick in the 2nd-4th rounds and 2 picks in the 5th?  If this past season proved anything for me it's that coaching and system trumps talent but having that coach and system ALONG WITH a great QB can make you a serious contender for as long as those 3 things remain in tact.

...differing opinions make it all work here as it was intended to be........the draft was, is and forever will be a crap shoot.......Steve Young said it best (I've worn out his quote), "more collegiate QB's fail versus succeed at the NFL level because of the speed and complexity of the game"......better yet, surrender ing MAJOR draft capital does not come with a money back guarantee and fails to see the bigger picture of the significant holes this club has to fill.......just can't subscribe to putting all of my eggs "in the QB basket" and not taking care of numerous other porous spots......sure FA can be used to plug some, but to what effective extent?......

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

I don’t think that’s true at all. Unless you can give me a poll that shows what scouts/execs think...

He might “look the part” better (means nothing) but he’s nowhere near hands down better. Also, he is absolutely not more accurate than Darnold. 

Maybe more accurate is a stretch but Darnold isn't way more accurate than Rosen. UCLA was top 10 in drops 

Darnold is more Big Ben and Rosen is more Goff/Matt Ryan.. but more arm talent than Matty Ice

Inside the Pocket Rosen is hands down better right now...

Darnold is better when he's creating .. every pac12 coach wanted to keep Darnold in the pocket... they didn't want him scrambling... he's a better athlete 

again Darnolds been my favorite QB since he redshirted ... I always liked him over Rosen

i can objectively say he isn't as good of a pocket passer right now as Rosen

( Imo there is a difference between who I think will be a better pro/which is Darnold... and who is actually better Right this second... which is Rosen... Rosen is ready for the NFL... Darnold could've used 1 more year)

i don't think Rosen is Elway... he is just ready to start in the league day 1

Edited by Buffalo716

Haven’t heard any mention of AJ McCarron much on the board or on the radio. If he becomes a free agent I wouldn’t mind bringing him to battle with Peterman. Worse comes to worse you have a solid backup qb. Don’t think he’d break the bank, and has shown enough to rival the 2nd and 3rd qb prospects in this draft imo.

3 hours ago, Big C said:

I feel like you need another dot in the title.

I agree. It's best to let the pieces fall into place rather than force it. For instance, if we don't trade up for JP Losman in 2004, we'd have been able to take Aaron Rodgers with the 20th pick in 2005. 

We can add a vet and/or, frankly, restructure Taylor one last time (hate all you want but I bet Daboll will be able to embrace Tyrod's skill set much better than Rico) and flesh out the roster with the extra picks instead. That is the route I'd like to go, personally. But if we trade up and we hit on the guy, I wouldn't be mad.

It still hurts to read that sentence. What a bust he was.  Sad that they traded up for that. Too bad they didn't trade up to get Roethlisberger. But I guess they weren't that ambitious.

6 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I get the sentiment.

But I'd hate to pay a premium price for another disappointment.   So many 1st round QBs fail to work out.  What makes you so confident that Darnold is The Guy?

I'd personally rather spend a lot of draft picks on a lot of players than package draft picks to move up.  

Have to pay a premium price to play.

But to play you have to pay, can't join a hand of poker without posting the blind, right?

Maybe there's a guy the decide they love, and want to ante up, so I say go for it.

I'm tired of watching other teams win on a roll of the dice (yes, plenty lose too) while we sit around and don't even enter the game, and instead hope somebody drops that winning lottery ticket in the 4th or 5th round.

I've been watching the Bills since I was 5 years old.

That's 1988.

We have drafted the following QBs in my lifetime:

1 (14th) the immortal James Edward Kelly

3 (57th) Frank f*cking Reich

12 (313) Bruce McClure

2 (45) Todd Collins

1 (22) JP Losman *I just threw up in my mouth*

3 (92) Trent Edwards

7 (209) Levi Brown

1 (16) EJ Manuel

4 (139) Cardale Jones

5 (171) Nasty Nate Peterman

That entire list makes me want to cry.

Even when we draft a QB they suck.

I might just go drink myself to sleep.

8 minutes ago, Codyny13 said:

Haven’t heard any mention of AJ McCarron much on the board or on the radio. If he becomes a free agent I wouldn’t mind bringing him to battle with Peterman. Worse comes to worse you have a solid backup qb. Don’t think he’d break the bank, and has shown enough to rival the 2nd and 3rd qb prospects in this draft imo.

Posters have brought this up.

The result of his free agency will be decided the 15th of February.

I'm sure if he is a FA there will be multiple AJ threads the 16th.

LOL

2 hours ago, xRUSHx said:

That bonus kills most of what your saying IMO. Can not spend that kind of money in a bonus wishing a team will want him for even a 5th let alone anything else IMO.

I do agree that if they pay the bonus this team is stuck with him another season as the starter. Please get my barrel ready I am going over the falls if that happens because I lose all faith in this new staff.

So you are saying they are better off doing what many GM/HCs do and try to win now, sadly that gets most of them fired and this team continuing the same long haul fall to the next record breaking of no playoff seasons IMO.

This is a rare year where established QB's who aren't post 35 are available.  I don't see the Bills acquiring a Cousins as a bad move.  At 29 years old he has a good 7+ years left in him.  This allows the team to continue to get younger and stronger in other areas through the draft, instead of trading a bunch of picks to draft 1 QB who, if he plays this year, won't be as good as Cousins and may never be that good.

This isn't a case of sign a bunch of high priced free agents over 28.  This is one position 

2 minutes ago, dezertbill said:

This is a rare year where established QB's who aren't post 35 are available.  I don't see the Bills acquiring a Cousins as a bad move.  At 29 years old he has a good 7+ years left in him.  This allows the team to continue to get younger and stronger in other areas through the draft, instead of trading a bunch of picks to draft 1 QB who, if he plays this year, won't be as good as Cousins and may never be that good.

This isn't a case of sign a bunch of high priced free agents over 28.  This is one position 

Stop it.

Cousins is not signing in Buffalo.

Like 0% chance.

Complete fantasy.

Not even sure why this continues to be a thing.

Just now, SouthNYfan said:

Stop it.

Cousins is not signing in Buffalo.

Like 0% chance.

Complete fantasy.

Not even sure why this continues to be a thing.

Why wouldn't he?  How many teams that made the playoffs this year that need a QB?

I say teams like Denver, AZ, and Bills have to be the front runners.  McD is the same type personality as Cousins.  They would mesh well.

Just now, dezertbill said:

Why wouldn't he?  How many teams that made the playoffs this year that need a QB?

I say teams like Denver, AZ, and Bills have to be the front runners.  McD is the same type personality as Cousins.  They would mesh well.

How are they they "same type of personality"

Denver is the frontrunner.

Then there is everyone else.

Cousins wants a team without drama, who are ready to win.

Denver is ready to win.

2 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Denver is ready to win.

That makes zero sense.  We had a better record this year than Denver.  We made the playoffs,  they didn't.  How are they more ready to win than us?

This sounds like a "no one would want to play with us" mentality.  The old story that Buffalo is Siberia of the NFL.  

That narrative has changed, especially with McDermott.  The Bills are an up and coming Franchise, and with the way we performed in 2017 any veteran QB knows if they come here they could help the team make a deep playoff run.

I agree that Denver is also a team who is a veteran QB away from vastly improving.  But I don't see how "drama" or the delusion that we are an inferior team has anything to do with that.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, dezertbill said:

That makes zero sense.  We had a better record this year than Denver.  We made the playoffs,  they didn't.  How are they more ready to win than us?

This sounds like a "no one would want to play with us" mentality.  The old story that Buffalo is Siberia of the NFL.  

That narrative has changed, especially with McDermott.  The Bills are an up and coming Franchise, and with the way we performed in 2017 any veteran QB knows if they come here they could help the team make a deep playoff run.

I agree that Denver is also a team who is a veteran QB away from vastly improving.  But I don't see how "drama" or the delusion that we are an inferior team has anything to do with that.

Dever had the #1 defense for total yards given up

They were basically #2 in every measurable defensive statistic other than PPG, which is mostly attributed to the fact that they had the second most offensive giveaways in the league, and their abysmal offense giving the opponents the ball back all game in good position.

We were middle of the road defensively overall.

Denver is a better team than us, with a worse QB situation.

Give us cousins, we are a playoff team no doubt.

Give Denver cousins they are probably #2 or #3 (with NE and Pitt) in the AFC, and top 5 in the league as Superbowl contenders.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but one decent season with McDermott at the helm doesn't change the perception of two decades worth of ineptitude overnight.

We are an inferior team to Denver

I'm not sure what your are smoking to think otherwise, but I'd love to have some.

We had a better record than the Packers, the raiders, and Cardinals. 

same record as the Seahawks, Ravens, and chargers.

I would say they are all better than us.

Record doesn't always mean a team is better.

Injuries and schedule are factors that affect a team's record.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, kdiggz said:

If Rosen had Darnold's heart and leadership I would trade way the entire draft to get him. He's too flakey though. And Darnold isn't a sure thing although he's pretty close. If Darnold falls to 3 and Indy isn't greedy I think it would be a tough call. You would have to be sure this is your franchise QB for the next 10 yrs. If you are wrong you lose your job and set the team back 3 years in the process. The safe bet is to get a solid veteran and take someone at 21 like Rudolph who might be good. If not no big deal

It is a big deal u can't continue to throw pks in the garbage.  I don't care where they are. 

Yes u can go safe but that doesn't mean u will keep your job after 3yrs anyways. Basically most guys get fired nowadays after 2, 3 yrs the NFL is constantly churning guys in and out whether its players or front office & coaches and the ones that seem to keep there jobs are the teams that have that franchise saving QB. So its definitely an interesting Balance.  At the end of the day i guess u got to be more lucky then good .

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/23/2018 at 10:07 PM, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I want the bills to trade up and get Darnold regardless. The only safe way to do that is to get to #1. I’m tired of settling for scraps here and hoping a draft goes a certain way. Go up and get the best guy for once. Not reach for some 4th round trash in round 1 like EJ. Actually get a good QB abd the best in a real class for once.

Only 2 #1 overall selected QBs in the past 20 years with rings. It’s not the sure thing people want to contend it is 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Why would KC do this? 

I though the whole trade Alex thing was due to them being in bad cap shape.  Hotrod and Alex make about the same.

Because people like to make up predictions without any factual basis.

3 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Only 2 #1 overall selected QBs in the past 20 years with rings. It’s not the sure thing people want to contend it is 

First, elway (2), Eli (2), and Peyton (2) all won in the last 20 years, add Steve young (1) and  aikman (3) if you babe it 22 (let's make it 25, rounder number and includes all 3 if aikmans wins, and to to give a better range less skewed by Brady)

So that's 10 of 25 won by 5 guys, another 5 by Brady alone.

A better number is #1 picks who started QB in super bowl (win or lose) because, frankly, that's a better number in my eyes, that just who won (since Brady has started 7 and won 5 not counting what happens this year)

Aikman 3 

Young 1

Bledsoe 1

Elway 2

Peyton 4

Eli 2

Cam Newton 1

Matt Ryan 1

Expanding to top 5 also adds:

Steve McNair (1) #3 overall

Kerry Collins (1) #5 overall

Donovan McNabb (1) #2 overall

(I can throw in Trent dilfer who was #6 overall, he also won)

So in the last 25 years, there have been 50 starts, two guys each game, we've 8 guys #1 overall start a Superbowl, 15 times between them, 12 guys and 17 total starts of the 50 if you expand to top5 plus dilfer@6

So 17 out of 50 Superbowl starters were top5, 15 were #1 overall.

I'm just saying.

Top picks are a crapshoot always, but 1/3 the starters were top5 

19 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I get this. but the browns didn't really do anything to reach, like trade or waste a super early pick, for johnny kegstand.

its not the greatest example of a team overreaching. 

The did trade up but only gave up a thrid to do it. It was an awful draft pick tho and anyone with google could have told you he wasn't mature enough to handle being a first round pick

QBs taken after Johnny Football 

Bridgewater

Carr

Garroppolo

McCarron

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Because people like to make up predictions without any factual basis.

First, elway (2), Eli (2), and Peyton (2) all won in the last 20 years, add Steve young (1) and  aikman (3) if you babe it 22 (let's make it 25, rounder number and includes all 3 if aikmans wins, and to to give a better range less skewed by Brady)

So that's 10 of 25 won by 5 guys, another 5 by Brady alone.

A better number is #1 picks who started QB in super bowl (win or lose) because, frankly, that's a better number in my eyes, that just who won (since Brady has started 7 and won 5 not counting what happens this year)

Aikman 3 

Young 1

Bledsoe 1

Elway 2

Peyton 4

Eli 2

Cam Newton 1

Matt Ryan 1

Expanding to top 5 also adds:

Steve McNair (1) #3 overall

Kerry Collins (1) #5 overall

Donovan McNabb (1) #2 overall

(I can throw in Trent dilfer who was #6 overall, he also won)

So in the last 25 years, there have been 50 starts, two guys each game, we've 8 guys #1 overall start a Superbowl, 15 times between them, 12 guys and 17 total starts of the 50 if you expand to top5 plus dilfer@6

So 17 out of 50 Superbowl starters were top5, 15 were #1 overall.

I'm just saying.

Top picks are a crapshoot always, but 1/3 the starters were top5 

Elway wasn’t in the past 20 years and young was a suplimental draft then a trade. but ok go with your info- so we agree a team has a much better chance of making a super bowl without a top 5 QB than with.

12 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Elway wasn’t in the past 20 years and young was a suplimental draft then a trade. but ok go with your info- so we agree a team has a much better chance of making a super bowl without a top 5 QB than with.

I misread

I thought he said #1s that won

Not the year they were selected

Apologies I misread

4 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

What is your factual basis to refute what I said?

You asked why somebody would do that

I was agreeing with you that they wouldn't

That the guy saying they would make that trade (tyrod for Smith) had zero reasoning behind it other than just making it up and didn't look into any reasoning behind it 

I should have quoted him too :)

23 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I don't want the Bills to spend a lot of money to get a veteran QB because I want them to trade up to 3 or 4 for Rosen or Darnold, but probably Darnold.

My gut says that's what the Bills brass is planning right now and I suspect they'll keep Taylor on the roster til draft time to offer as part of a package to trade up to #4 with the Browns.

The only vet QB we might acquire and still do this with is Alex Smith since his contract will expire in one year.

i think it's going to have to be the no.3 pick or someone will leapfrog us.....that's if the browns take rosen and the giants go a different position.

I think if you're trading up to the top of the draft, you keep Taylor and don't sign another veteran.   Reason?   You're betting the farm on the new QB, and you're going to play him in 2019, if not 2018.   So you may as well have the cheapest alternative veteran, and that's Tyrod.   No point in giving Smith a three-year deal (which is what he'll want), because it costs too much money.   If you've traded up to the top, you won't have good picks left, so you'll need cap room to sign free agents.  

4 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

Hmmmm, I feel like I've seen this thread before....;)

Then what are you doing here?   If you've read this thread before and you remember it, good for you.   If you want to read it again, great.   If not, great. 

Other people may not have read this thread before, or they may want to read it again.   

Was it really necessary that you tell us YOU'VE read it before?

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I think if you're trading up to the top of the draft, you keep Taylor and don't sign another veteran.   Reason?   You're betting the farm on the new QB, and you're going to play him in 2019, if not 2018.   So you may as well have the cheapest alternative veteran, and that's Tyrod.   No point in giving Smith a three-year deal (which is what he'll want), because it costs too much money.   If you've traded up to the top, you won't have good picks left, so you'll need cap room to sign free agents.  

Then what are you doing here?   If you've read this thread before and you remember it, good for you.   If you want to read it again, great.   If not, great. 

Other people may not have read this thread before, or they may want to read it again.   

Settle down Sparky...it was more a reflection of this type of discussion appears to be a daily occurrence in a new thread....nothing more than a sarcastic observation. Enjoy your day.

56 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

i think it's going to have to be the no.3 pick or someone will leapfrog us.....that's if the browns take rosen and the giants go a different position.

Yeah I've thought about that, too.  3 might be the spot.  Or the Colts might be the trade for Luck  :flirt: 

18 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

Denver is ready to win.

You think the Bills are a team with drama?

How are the Bills not ready to win?  We just made the playoffs? 

I don't even particularly want Cousin's... but this is just a really weird post.

• The only 2 veteran QBs who might be available who are actually good are Cousins and Smith.  Cousins might not be available and will be expensive.  The Bills would have to trade for Smith, and they've been fleeced so many times by Andy Reid that I'd leery of him.  
  • Bradford can't stay healthy. 
  • Keenum had a great year, but Minny is loaded with talent on both sides of the ball, so it's impossible to predict what he'd do on any other team.  The Vikes will probably keep him anyway. 
  • Since his big 2013 season, Foles has played 1 great game: the NFC Championship game for Philly, and he's under contract.  
  • All the rest are journeymen who at best are about on the same level as Taylor, and many not even that good.
Edited by SoTier

32 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Yeah I've thought about that, too.  3 might be the spot.  Or the Colts might be the trade for Luck  :flirt: 

You think the Bills are a team with drama?

How are the Bills not ready to win?  We just made the playoffs? 

I don't even particularly want Cousin's... but this is just a really weird post.

I wouldn't say we are drama, i was stating that cousin's preference is drama free.

I think MCD is big on removing that, but in the last few years we've been a circus between marrone drama, dareus, Tyrod's constant uncertainty, the Ryan brothers circus...

We are looking to be drama free now, but as I said, recent history and perception isn't "drama free" even with mcd at the helm, but it's on it's way there

Yes we made the playoffs, we got in on a hail mary by the Bengals.

Denver has a much better defense and wr core, as well as 2 recent Superbowl trips, and the #5 pick in the draft.

If I'm Kirk, I'm going to Denver over Buffalo.

11 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Why would KC do this? 

I though the whole trade Alex thing was due to them being in bad cap shape.  Hotrod and Alex make about the same.

The only reason I think this is a possibility is if the Taylor/OBD relationship is truly as irreparable as a lot of people seem to believe it is based on the benching.

I personally looked at the firing of Dennison as a sign that a lot of the offensive troubles this season and particularly the reported decision to bench Taylor in favor of Peterman because he could execute Dennison's system better were more Dennison centered than anything.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

Dever had the #1 defense for total yards given up

They were basically #2 in every measurable defensive statistic other than PPG, which is mostly attributed to the fact that they had the second most offensive giveaways in the league, and their abysmal offense giving the opponents the ball back all game in good position.

We were middle of the road defensively overall.

Denver is a better team than us, with a worse QB situation.

Give us cousins, we are a playoff team no doubt.

Give Denver cousins they are probably #2 or #3 (with NE and Pitt) in the AFC, and top 5 in the league as Superbowl contenders.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but one decent season with McDermott at the helm doesn't change the perception of two decades worth of ineptitude overnight.

We are an inferior team to Denver

I'm not sure what your are smoking to think otherwise, but I'd love to have some.

same record as the Seahawks, Ravens, and chargers.

I would say they are all better than us.

Record doesn't always mean a team is better.

Injuries and schedule are factors that affect a team's record.

I disagree

11 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

It's not, because the coach, the coaching staff, and the offensive system is equally if not more important.

I think we should basically be operating under the belief that we have the coach in McDermott (good evidence of this based on this past season) along with the coaching staff and offensive system.  Dabol had enough time with the Patriots and did some good things at Alabama last year with a QB who couldn't pass, so I think operating under this belief is reasonable.

We might not just be a QB away.  But considering how successful the team was last year with relatively inferior talent especially compared to the other teams that got to the playoffs, I hope McBeane operate as though we're a QB away.

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Agreed.

This is pretty much why I think Taylor is likely still on the roster for one more year.

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Whether or not I’ve read this thread before I do like your point about Alex being a pricey bridge as Compared to keeping TT. 

Does  keeping him turn him into a pricey bridge based on his deal though?

Either way it’s cheaper than Alex, but yeah at some point they are going to need to bet the farm on someone. 

4 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

It's not, because the coach, the coaching staff, and the offensive system is equally if not more important.

I think we should basically be operating under the belief that we have the coach in McDermott (good evidence of this based on this past season) along with the coaching staff and offensive system.  Dabol had enough time with the Patriots and did some good things at Alabama last year with a QB who couldn't pass, so I think operating under this belief is reasonable.

We might not just be a QB away.  But considering how successful the team was last year with relatively inferior talent especially compared to the other teams that got to the playoffs, I hope McBeane operate as though we're a QB away.

The only problem with this idea is that there may not be an upgrade QB available.  This is why there are so many "QB needy" teams.  Taylor might the best the Bills can do, and if that's true, then they need to face that squarely and not do what they did in 2013 when they cut Fitzpatrick and picked $$$ over wins.  We'll never know, but it seems likely Marrone and Hackett could have gotten the Bills to the playoffs with Fitzpatrick.   The 2014 team missed by tie-breakers IIRC, and one of their losses came when Orton ran out of bounds rather than trying for the EZ.  Fitz wouldn't have done that.

7 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Whether or not I’ve read this thread before I do like your point about Alex being a pricey bridge as Compared to keeping TT. 

Does  keeping him turn him into a pricey bridge based on his deal though?

Either way it’s cheaper than Alex, but yeah at some point they are going to need to bet the farm on someone. 

Actually, as I look at the numbers, it may be that in actual cash Smith wouldn't cost much more than Taylor, but there'd be cap hit to make the move.   

I think Smith would strictly be a bridge, and for the one year he'd be used, I don't think it's worth paying any cash or cap space to get him.   Plus you'd have to give up a pick to do it.   Cousins isn't strictly a bridge.   You'd get him thinking he's the future unless you find someone better.  That's worth paying for.  

29 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

I disagree

What do you disagree on, in all seriousness.

That Denver is better than us defensive?

Those other teams being as good or better, even with worse records than us?

same record as the Seahawks, Ravens, and chargers

You can't honestly say that, when healthy, we are better than any of those teams

4 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Actually, as I look at the numbers, it may be that in actual cash Smith wouldn't cost much more than Taylor, but there'd be cap hit to make the move.   

I think Smith would strictly be a bridge, and for the one year he'd be used, I don't think it's worth paying any cash or cap space to get him.   Plus you'd have to give up a pick to do it.   Cousins isn't strictly a bridge.   You'd get him thinking he's the future unless you find someone better.  That's worth paying for.  

Cousins isn’t a bridge and won’t want a contract that smells like one.  I personally do t like him as a QB. I’ve watched enough skins game to believe he’ll feel like the same QB purgatory we are in now. It’ll just be in different ways. 

He will amass waaaay more yards, but miss the clutch throws and ultimately also not be a guy that can carry a team in his back for the wins. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Cousins isn’t a bridge and won’t want a contract that smells like one.  I personally do t like him as a QB. I’ve watched enough skins game to believe he’ll feel like the same QB purgatory we are in now. It’ll just be in different ways. 

He will amass waaaay more yards, but miss the clutch throws and ultimately also not be a guy that can carry a team in his back for the wins. 

I don't agree about Cousins, but that isn't the point.  I get that some people don't think that he's worth what he'll get.  

My point was they are two different cases.   If you want Cousins, it's because you've decided to bet on him for the future.   If you want Smith, it's because you've decided you need a bridge for the future.    If all you're looking for is a bridge, there's no point in paying more than you'd pay to keep Taylor, because either way you're going to have a QB you don't expect can be a big winner for you.   If you're looking for a guy who's your future, you should expect to pay more, whether it's more cash (in the case of Cousins) or more draft picks (in the case of one of the top rookies).

10 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't agree about Cousins, but that isn't the point.  I get that some people don't think that he's worth what he'll get.  

My point was they are two different cases.   If you want Cousins, it's because you've decided to bet on him for the future.   If you want Smith, it's because you've decided you need a bridge for the future.    If all you're looking for is a bridge, there's no point in paying more than you'd pay to keep Taylor, because either way you're going to have a QB you don't expect can be a big winner for you.   If you're looking for a guy who's your future, you should expect to pay more, whether it's more cash (in the case of Cousins) or more draft picks (in the case of one of the top rookies).

I mostly agree, except for the assessment that a bridge isn't worth paying for SOMETIMES.

Example: Peyton Manning was a bridge in Denver.

They knew they had a win now team, couldn't wait to develop a QB.

They knew he wasn't the future. 

They didn't have anybody behind him work out though, so far Lynch isn't great either.

I am not on board with Smith, for the record, unless we are getting a guy to groom for 1-2 years behind him this year as well.

If you get Smith and DON'T go for a qb now, Smith is good enough that you'll be in the 7-9 to 10-6 range, fringe playoff, and in the 18-23 pick range again.

That's not a good place to be in with a QB who is currently 33.