Where would Mahomes go in this years draft?

Klaista2k

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

I would say a Mahomes would be somewhere around the #4 to #6 QB this year (sorry Jeffismagic...lol). Maybe 3 at very best. 

I think Rosen, Darnold easily go in front of him. Probably Allen and/or (possibly) Mayfield too.

He has very similar stats to Mason Rudolph in his draft year, and they both come from a somewhat similar air raid type offense. Mahomes has the superior arm though. So I'd say he would possibly right around the same area as Rudolph goes, Mahomes most likely going first. 

As far as the trade - I think it has has been very good so far. Tre White looks like a future star and possible top 3 CB in the NFL.

We also have Zay Jones, who they drafted by trading up with the 3rd round pick acquired in the Chiefs trade. He struggled hismrookie season but I still think he ends up being a good WR for us. But we will see...

Plus, we don't even have the #22 pick to grade yet. If they hit on that, or trade back and turn it into a couple players (that they hit on) or use it to trade up and grab a QB... who knows. We will have to wait and see. But yeah I'd say the trade looks good so far. Let's see what Mahomes turns into, too. 

And you could kind of say that Dion Dawkins is somewhat part of that trade because they used the 5th round pick they got back when they traded the KC 3rd to help move up for Jones. He looks like he could be our future franchise left tackle for years to come. I mean, you could even say that If Dawkins allows them to trade Corey Glenn for a haul, that trade back factored into it, even if just slightly... 

If you think about it, depending on what they do with that #22 pick this year, that 1 single trade could go quite a long way towards helping rebuild this franchise. If they trade back again this year and turn it into 2 (or even 3) more players that they hit on, we'd have gotten 4-6(+) possible impact players from that trade (or at least in part from that trade). 

Its really still till too early to judge though. We have to see how the trade impacts each franchise in the years to come. 

The hammer in this deal is Mahomes if he turns into a elite QB and we don't get one.  I don't care if we get 3 pro bowlers out the deal we lose. BTW we could of gotten Mahomes and Tre . We could of traded bk up to first rd to get him.  Not to mention last yr was a elite yr for Corners teams found starter quality corners up until the 5th rd. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think he's have gone around the same spot. For all the issues Mahomes had technically coming out he is the type of prospect that a couple of teams are always going to fall in love with because of his attributes. 

I think anywhere from the 3rd to the 5th QB off the board and in that #8 - #16 range. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Estro said:

Mahomes is a future star in the NFL.  The Bills made a mistake not selecting him.  

Rosen has a chance to be nice, but I like Mahomes quite a bit more.  Mahomes skill set reminds me so much of Aaron Rodgers.  Accuracy is a plus, and his arm is probably the strongest I've seen.  He made a throw in week 17 vs. the Broncos that literally made my jaw drop.  I posted it a few weeks back, it was amazing.

If true it's sickening that we passed on him. 

How many damn franchise quarterbacks do we have to let slip right through our fingertips? 

Edited by Klaista2k
  • Like (+1) 1

Mahomes is an athlete that can sling it - his big issues are mechanical.  He doesn't set his feet and will sail some, and short others.  Guys a gamer though so I'm sure he'll be good.  Cutler with a good attitude would be a good comparison.

I think he'd be around 3rd or 4th off the board.  Spread offense, never really took any snaps under center.  Won't be a likely day 1 starter - so you burn through at least year 1 of the rookie contract on a wash year.

Edited by dneveu

13 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Especially in a year with so many veteran QB's available, you're gonna draft the guy with the bigger upside and sign a veteran starter.  

I'd say Rosen, Allen, Trubisky, Darnold, Mahomes, Watson, Mayfield in that order. This years QB's will go a lot higher than last years due to need.  Not looking good for Bills unless they want to move into the top 5 for the 3rd or 4th best QB in this class.  Get Cousins.  

You got Allen at 2nd? 

IMO That boy has bust all over him, he needs as much work as EJ and we all know how he turned. I think he is much better then EJ just saying how much of a project he is IMO.

He does have some things to him that makes me think of Cutler but hey you see where I am going here. 2 years of development and big risk to flop IMO. To have him at 2 makes me SMH at your order of comparisons.

IMO Watson, Trub and Mahom is on top now that they now have a year of development but after this coming class has there rookie year only then we can really see where they all stand IMO.

Edited by xRUSHx

25 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

You got Allen at 2nd? 

IMO That boy has bust all over him, he needs as much work as EJ and we all know how he turned. I think he is much better then EJ just saying how much of a project he is IMO.

He does have some things to him that makes me think of Cutler but hey you see where I am going here. 2 years of development and big risk to flop IMO. To have him at 2 makes me SMH at your order of comparisons.

IMO Watson, Trub and Mahom is on top now that they now have a year of development but after this coming class has there rookie year only then we can really see where they all stand IMO.

Drafting QB's is becoming like the NBA draft.  Production in college is weighted less heavily every year.  Drafting more on what they can be.  You can sign a Tyrod, Keenum, Bradford or McCown and get competent QB play and take a risk on the higher upside guys like Trubisky, Wentz, and Allen in the draft.  

15 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

How does the trade with KC look right now?

If Mahomes was entering this years draft where would he go? Would be the 1st QB taken in front of Darnold and Rosen? Would he be somewhere in the middle? Maybe after Darnold and Rosen but ahead of Mayfield and Allen?

4th QB off the board i think. 

44 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Drafting QB's is becoming like the NBA draft.  Production in college is weighted less heavily every year.  Drafting more on what they can be.  You can sign a Tyrod, Keenum, Bradford or McCown and get competent QB play and take a risk on the higher upside guys like Trubisky, Wentz, and Allen in the draft.  

IMO, Drafting QBs is how you get a real franchise QB while paying a cheaper rookie contract. Drafting a big project QB later in the draft to sit around is a luxury for a team that has a proven starter, we do not have a proven starter we have a 31st ranked passing QB that was carried all season of his under 100 yard, one FG games. Tyrod gets laughed at by other teams for being forced to be a QB. He was a QB hand picked by Rex that should tell you all you need to know about him IMO. Sorry man I am done with that Rex side show.

IMO, Draft one of the top QBs from this draft that can start sooner then later while on a cheap contract so that money can be spent elsewhere. You do not need to pay 18mill plus on a QB that isn't good enough to get a half azed job done, in fact that is the Fitz fail of years past of this team.

Riding around with a broken wagon wheel is a very uncomfortable ride wishing for a muddy ground team to soften up the ride every week even though 9 out of 10 times the D had to get off the wagon and carry us..

Edit.

IMO, Keenum is a much better QB then Tyrod and it isn't even close IMO. Overpaying for a bridge QB is a waste of money if you draft a QB you think will start at some point during year one, why bother, use the money elsewhere and don't continue to be stuck on the bridge this team has been on since Kelly retired.

Edited by xRUSHx

Mahomes makes a LOT of really bad decisions. It's quite possible, over time, with good coaching, those will come down drastically, so he is no longer just an average QB because his wow plays far outweigh his Jesus Christ! plays.

It's also quite possible that he never learns. It seems to me that as many or more guys don't learn than do.

22 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

If Mahomes was entering this years draft where would he go? Would be the 1st QB taken in front of Darnold and Rosen? Would he be somewhere in the middle? Maybe after Darnold and Rosen but ahead of Mayfield and Allen?

3rd round- how does a guy declare as a junior then not get drafted for a full season?  

Definitely some concerns 

10 minutes ago, Doc said:

We'll see.  We'll all be keeping an eye him, for sure.

For sure. We will all be very interested to see what he turns into.

I'm sure we will get people claiming that the Bills were wrong/right for making that trade after a handful of games next year (and by a handful of games I obviously mean the first 15mins of his first start...lol), but Its going to be years before we know anything with any type of certainty. Even if he is great, or terrible, next season it won't prove anything one way or the other.

We've seen plenty of QBs struggle as a rookie only to go on to have great careers. And we've seen plenty of rookies who were great their first year end up as nothing more than a 1 (or 2) year flash in the pan. 

My hope/wish is that by the time we know what Mahomes is (in a few years), that the Bills have their own franchise QB and he's playing so great that nobody cares about Mahomes anymore. 

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 5:02 PM, Klaista2k said:

Late first or even early 2nd.