Brian Daboll hired as new OC

Estro

So many here asking what his philosophy will be etc.   Well, no one was involved in his interviews, but I imagine he was asked those questions by McD.

We'll see more as he gets here is interviewed, starts coaching etc.  but seems like he's respected by many and has a rep as a really good teacher.  Sounds promising.  

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Do you know what a debate is?

an Opposing View is?

and how lazy it is to say NFL coaches and FO know everything?

Whining does not equal debating.

I don't know how I feel about this.  I feel like the offensive-minded coaches that come out of the NCAA are rarely able to translate success at the collegiate level to the NFL.  On the other hand, this guy has been around a lot of winning and he isn't a retread OC.

Without name dropping give me one reason to think he's a great hire.  Best I can come up with is that he seems to put together good running games but he appears to be downright horrible with QB's.  Matt Moore is the closest thing he's had to a passing game and even as I say he seems to put together a running game the teams he's had haven't been able to score with the running game so it's kind of a mute point.  Now someone give me a reason other than he's a likeable guy or there were rumors Bilichick was going to hire him.  We all know Brady can basically run the offense without an 0C.

He isn't a retread ........... as long as you forget the 3 times he's failed miserably at it.

1 minute ago, Maine-iac said:

Without name dropping give me one reason to think he's a great hire.  Best I can come up with is that he seems to put together good running games but he appears to be downright horrible with QB's.  Matt Moore is the closest thing he's had to a passing game and even as I say he seems to put together a running game the teams he's had haven't been able to score with the running game so it's kind of a mute point.  Now someone give me a reason other than he's a likeable guy or there were rumors Bilichick was going to hire him.  We all know Brady can basically run the offense without an 0C.

From what I've read here he's a very good teacher.  Assuming you'll have a young QB that's very important.   

3 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

He isn't a retread ........... as long as you forget the 3 times he's failed miserably at it.

MUTE POINT ALERT!!!!!

33 minutes ago, MOVALLEYRANDY said:

Guessing you don't watch much college football either (RollTide) Bama/Bills/Celtics/Angels since 1965. He played the cards dealt and when he had a QB who could throw he threw. Great running backs and OL and you're supposed to NOT run ?  TE's were not used in the passing game much at all.  But your snarky grade is A+ 

Cool.      I liked it when DeShaun Watson and Johnny Manziel killed that Bama defenseJohnny-Manziel.jpg

Good for Daboll, gets to distance himself from Saban.      Go Bills, don’t care about BAMA 

22 minutes ago, dezertbill said:

I like the move.

He has a history of winning.  Five Super Bowls, and a national championship his first year.

He has coached under the greatest HC in pro and college (Belichick and Saban) so he understands detail, preparation, winning, and never letting the foot off the pedal.

HIs past Pro OC experience does give pause, especially since the passing game on the teams he OC were horrible.  But he also had horrible teams (CLE, KC) who had horrible QBs that are all either backups or out of the league.  He was still able to rank 5th in rushing for a 2-14 KC team with Matt Cassel at QB.  That's how you cut your teeth as a first time coordinator, getting your butt kicked on a crappy team with crappy talent)

I'm sure he has learned from that experience as well since it's been five years ago.  Since that time he's won a few more rings with NE and was tabbed by the greatest college coach to run his offense.

This guy was next in line for the Patriots OC job.  Bills snuck in and stole him before McDaniels could make his decision.  He was also Nick Saban's selection to replace Lane Kiffin.  My thoughts are if this guy is good enough to be considered OC by storied franchises such as Belichick/Patriots and Saban/Alabama) than I believe the Bills made the right move here.

I would rather do this then hire a retread like McCoy or Chud, both of whom really hadn't done much to write home about over the last five years.

I say go outside the box and strive for greatness.

That's what champions do.  

Go Bills!

18 minutes ago, dezertbill said:

I just hope our passing game doesn't disappear.

Disppear? was this a joke?

I was hoping for Daboll but i thought he was not the favorite. what do i know?

Great Hire!

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

From what I've read here he's a very good teacher.  Assuming you'll have a young QB that's very important.   

I've read it but he's been in 3 different cities and had beyond miserable results.  I might be optimistic if we had an established QB and WR and he was bringing in a sound running game, he seems to have, and a ball control offense.  Everyone here is clamoring for a passing attack and that does not seem to be his thing at all.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Maine-iac said:

I've read it but he's been in 3 different cities and had beyond miserable results.  I might be optimistic if we had an established QB and WR and he was bringing in a sound running game, he seems to have, and a ball control offense.  Everyone here is clamoring for a passing attack and that does not seem to be his thing at all.

You cannot ignore the quality of personnel on those teams.

We will see.  People argued for guys like Chad and McCoy and similar arguments could have been made.

Just now, Maine-iac said:

And you accomplish a solid passing game with Brady Quinn, Chad Henne, or a faltering Matt Cassell?

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

And you accomplish a solid passing game with Brady Quinn, Chad Henne, or a faltering Matt Cassell?

Don't forget Colt McCoy. But get ready for the counterpoint where people try to pretend Tyrod is as bad as McCoy, Quinn or Cassel.

Spoiler alert....he isn't

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

You cannot ignore the quality of personnel on those teams.

We will see.  People argued for guys like Chad and McCoy and similar arguments could have been made.

I don't think I ignored that at all.  I said if we had an established QB and WR we might be good.  Do we have a much higher quality of players here that he's going to be working with?

31 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

NFL GamePass goes back to 2012, the last time Daboll was an NFL OC. I guess I’ll be using my spare time watching Chiefs games to see how he likes run his offense and call plays. 

I wouldn't bother. Save your time and make the reasonable assumption that what he has learned over the last 6 years would make it absolute. 

• Like (+1) 1