I'll be first to ask: Would you fire Mike Tomlin?

Ennjay

I don't even understand why this is a question.  

The Steelers go deep into the playoffs almost every year... and even today when people are questioning his decision-making, the steelers scored 14 points on 4th downs in situations where the Bills would have definitely punted.  

Steelers would have to be crazy to fire Tomlin and he'd have a new job within 48 hours if they did..  

5 minutes ago, Adam727 said:

I don't even understand why this is a question.  

The Steelers go deep into the playoffs almost every year... and even today when people are questioning his decision-making, the steelers scored 14 points on 4th downs in situations where the Bills would have definitely punted.  

Steelers would have to be crazy to fire Tomlin and he'd have a new job within 48 hours if they did..  

Since 2011 season Steelers only went deep in playoffs once ...

No, they were a Jesse James TD away from home field throughout... He definitely didn't have his team prepared today though, not on the defensive side of the ball.

I agree, he's nothing special but his record as a HC speaks for itself, nobody is canning a HC coming off the season he just had combined with how good his resume looks on paper. 

27 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Does Haley coach the defense too?

No. But if you watch the game you would understand how many asinine calls he made today. If you watch Steelers games you would understand this isn't an isolated incident. 

The only reason they were in the game were 4 ridiculous catches for TDs. 

2 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

The onside kick decision was horrible.   He'll get ripped for that and rightfully so.  A kickoff and a 3 and out or close which is far more likely than getting possession with an onside kick gets you the ball with some time still down by only 7.  Bonehead call.  Absolutely awful. 

A three and out ? ... The Steelers defense were awful all day long, if they had kicked off they never would've gotten the ball back. The onside kick was one of the most pitiful I've ever seen.

No, I wouldn't fire him.

The guy is a winner year in and year out. The roster has turned over under him at everywhere besides QB and while Ben is good, he's not in the top 5 imo.

The roster has stayed good across the board and performed well. Yea, he's only got one super bowl. But they also have to go through the pats like everyone else in the AFC. He deserves some credit for their sustained success. It's not in spite of him in my opinion.

Frankly he should have been fired when he tripped that one Baltimore player a few years back along the sideline.  He lacks integrity and I'm surprised the Rooney family would stand for it this long.

• Like (+1) 1

I think Tomlin is a good coach but not great.

I get he has 1 ring but he fell in the perfect situation.

Came in with Ben, (a future hall of fame QB) and 2 very experienced coordinators in Lebeau (one of the best d coordinators ever) and I believe Bruce Arians.

I wouldn’t fire him, but if there’s another early exit for their standards next year , then I think your question would seem very legitimate 

Edited by billsfan11

3 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

I think Tomlin is a good coach but not great.

I get he has 2 rings but he fell in the perfect situation.

Came in with Ben, (a future hall of fame QB) and 2 very experienced coordinators in Lebeau (one of the best d coordinators ever) and I believe Bruce Arians.

I wouldn’t fire him, but if there’s another early exit for their standards next year , then I think your question would seem very legitimate 

He has one ring, with Cowher's leftovers

Second Super Bowl was a loss, but in one of the better Super Bowls of recent memory

Tomlin is safe as long as he has Ben.  Then he gets a mulligan the year after Ben hangs it up.  The rumblings will start during the second year after Ben retires

Third year after Ben retires, Tomlin will be calling games for CBS or Fox

1 minute ago, /dev/null said:

He has one ring, with Cowher's leftovers

Second Super Bowl was a loss, but in one of the better Super Bowls of recent memory

Tomlin is safe as long as he has Ben.  Then he gets a mulligan the year after Ben hangs it up.  The rumblings will start during the second year after Ben retires

Third year after Ben retires, Tomlin will be calling games for CBS or Fox

Oh sorry, you’re correct it is 1 ring. Thanks for the correction 

Tomlin should have been fired years ago...hes another version of chuck pagano.

He came to the steelers from a defensive background with his scheme being the cover 2

he wisely kept dick lebeau as def coordinator...and since his initial year the defence has been a mess

if hes not improving the defence which is supposed to be his side of the ball what is he doing?

the steelers have underachieved under him id argue hes one of the worst coaches in the nfl given the talent at 

his disposal.

3 hours ago, Ennjay said:

He's not a bad coach but he's not special either -- he's no legend.  Seems to me the Steelers are kind of stale and they should have done better most of this year, not just today.  Would you rearrange the coaching just to freshen things up?  Or leave things as they are and hope for better results next year?

Clock management today was not good. Should have kicked the FG right after the long reception, poor use of timeouts.

• Like (+1) 1