I'll be first to ask: Would you fire Mike Tomlin?

Ennjay

37 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I don't understand this. He doesn't renew Haley's contract when his offence puts up 42 points and almost 600 yards against a great defence.

But he wants to keep his defensive coach when they let up 45 points and get lit up by an awful offence?

Am I missing something here? lol.

Pittsburghs offence was one of the best in the league all year, and their defence when Shazier went down was one of the worst

Just now, billsfan11 said:

I don't understand this. He doesn't renew Haley's contract when his offence puts up 42 points and almost 600 yards against a great defence.

But he wants to keep his defensive coach when they let up 45 points and get lit up by an awful offence?

Am I missing something here? lol.

Pittsburghs offence was one of the best in the league all year, and their defence when Shazier went down was one of the worst

Too much friction between Big Ben and Haley.  Haley seems to have that issue at every stop he's had in the NFL with him eventually wearing out his welcome.  

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Too much friction between Big Ben and Haley.  Haley seems to have that issue at every stop he's had in the NFL with him eventually wearing out his welcome.  

That is true. I did make that point in another thread that not renewing Haley's contract was probably more to do with tensions with Ben rather than results.

Just ironic if anything that they don't bring back their OC after hanging 42 points, but keep their DC when an awful offence hangs 45 on them.

Just now, billsfan11 said:

That is true. I did make that point in another thread that not renewing Haley's contract was probably more to do with tensions with Ben rather than results.

Just ironic if anything that they don't bring back their OC after hanging 42 points, but keep their DC when an awful offence hangs 45 on them.

His track record as Steelers' OC is excellent and it should be with the arsenal of weapons at his disposal.  No way it's related to performance. 

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 3:35 PM, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

With the Talent the Steelers have they should be making deep playoff runs every year. I don't think Tomlin is anything more than a slightly above average HC.

I don't agree on the talent.

Ben is top 5. Bell is top 2. Brown is top 1. Shazier was top 5. The rest are serviceable.

Tomlin parlayed 4 studs at the most important positions, into a very avg roster and made them a very competitive team. And does it year in and year out.

I would not be surprised if they make a change though. Teams that win all the time and then don't go as far as fans and part owners expect in playoffs----pull the trigger sometimes trying to prevent that boulder from falling over the edge. It usually falls anyway.

Ravens and Bengals are good examples of boulder going over edge. Coaches and/or QB's should have been changed a couple years ago.

Edited by cba fan

3 minutes ago, cba fan said:

Did you hear his entire interview or you going to single out that one item?  How about when Tomlin continued and stated that it was messed up to put Al in that situation and that he had nothing to apologize for?  I guess that's not important, right?  Doesn't fit the narrative.

Tomlin left the decision in the hands of the team.  The TEAM, Villenueva included, agreed not to come out for the anthem.  He changed his mind at the last minute and put the entire team in a negative light, while making himself look like a "hero".

I'd fire him.

This is the Tony Dungy situation in Tampa all over again. They get close every year, but they can't break through.

The Steelers have arguably the most talented offense in the NFL, and they've only made the AFC Championship game once in six years. 

I'd roll the dice and fire Tomlin and bring in a coach who will update the culture and see if that allows them to break through and once again become perennial Super Bowl contenders. 

They need to go out and find their Jon Gruden to get them over the hump. 

Edited by jrober38

41 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Did you hear his entire interview or you going to single out that one item?  How about when Tomlin continued and stated that it was messed up to put Al in that situation and that he had nothing to apologize for?  I guess that's not important, right?  Doesn't fit the narrative.

Tomlin left the decision in the hands of the team.  The TEAM, Villenueva included, agreed not to come out for the anthem.  He changed his mind at the last minute and put the entire team in a negative light, while making himself look like a "hero".

I read the whole thing. You did not.

Tomlin called him out and Villenueva then mysteriously tried to apologize for making what he said was a mistake and accidently was too far out in the tunnel after asking captain Ben if he could go out there thinking his teammates were behind him standing closer than they were.

You have to ask yourself if he is telling the truth or changed his story to fit good coach/teammate relations when this blew up big time with media drooling over this.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017/09/26/tomlin-addressed-steelers-national-anthem-controversy/

You left that out too as maybe it does not fit your narrative.

Tomlin called him out as he wanted 100% player participation in whatever they agreed on. To avoid exactly what happened. Villanueva made it look like he was only one of Steelers players respecting the flag. Which was not the case and the exact scenario Tomlin wanted to avoid by requesting 100% participation of whatever the players choose. Even though Tomlin and some coaches were on the field during the anthem and I presume stood for it as no one said anything about them. So much for 100% participation.

PS: Tomlin repeated more than a few times he did not want football players playing a political game like this protest. This completely flies in the face of letting the players decide because if they all come out and take a knee it would clearly be political. You have to ask yourself if he ordered them to stay in tunnel or other. This story has way too many holes in it.

Edited by cba fan

On 1/15/2018 at 6:28 AM, Ennjay said:

He's not a bad coach but he's not special either -- he's no legend.  Seems to me the Steelers are kind of stale and they should have done better most of this year, not just today.  Would you rearrange the coaching just to freshen things up?  Or leave things as they are and hope for better results next year?

Agreed that he's not special, but you don't give up their legacy of success through continuity because the guy you have, who has a Super Bowl ring there, isn't special.

Keep their machine turning over.

26 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I'd fire him.

This is the Tony Dungy situation in Tampa all over again. They get close every year, but they can't break through.

The Steelers have arguably the most talented offense in the NFL, and they've only made the AFC Championship game once in six years. 

I'd roll the dice and fire Tomlin and bring in a coach who will update the culture and see if that allows them to break through and once again become perennial Super Bowl contenders. 

Yeah, it's the Tony Dungy situation all over again. Remember the championships Dungy had, like the championship Tomlin has in Pittsburgh? 

Like a mirror image.

Edited by Thurman#1

11 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, it's the Tony Dungy situation all over again. Remember the championships Dungy had, like the championship Tomlin has in Pittsburgh? 

Like a mirror image.

Tomlin hasn't won a Super Bowl in the same amount of time Tony Dungy was the head coach in Tampa without winning a Super Bowl (6 years). 

Over that time, the Steelers, like the Bucs, have had one of the most talented teams in the NFL, yet they haven't won a Super Bowl. 

With a shrinking window of opportunity (their run is over when Ben retires), they'd be wise to switch things up and try to get over the hump vs stick with a guy who hasn't won a Super Bowl since 2010 and has only got them to one AFC Championship game in that time for someone who can freshen things up and try to get a little bit more out of their extremely talented roster. 

11 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Tomlin hasn't won a Super Bowl in the same amount of time Tony Dungy was the head coach in Tampa without winning a Super Bowl (6 years). 

Over that time, the Steelers, like the Bucs, have had one of the most talented teams in the NFL, yet they haven't won a Super Bowl. 

With a shrinking window of opportunity (their run is over when Ben retires), they'd be wise to switch things up and try to get over the hump vs stick with a guy who hasn't won a Super Bowl since 2010 and has only got them to one AFC Championship game in that time for someone who can freshen things up and try to get a little bit more out of their extremely talented roster. 

Right, Tomlin hasn't won a Super Bowl in the same amount of time Dungy was coach at Tampa. So if Dungy had won a title just before he arrived there, this would not be too too horrible of a comparison.

But Tampa was Dungy's first HC shot, so it's an absolutely ridiculous dud. Winning a championship for a franchise correctly buys you a lot of leeway. And IMHO there's no Gruden available for Pittsburgh.

The rest of your argument is reasonable. Though a lot of the reason Pittsburgh hasn't been in conference championships during Tomlin's post-championship tenure is that for a lot of that time they had poor defensive talent after their core got too old. They had to spend several years rebuilding their talent base.  

But the Rooneys are highly aware of the benefits of continuity.

Edited by Thurman#1

On 1/16/2018 at 11:22 AM, seregil42 said:

Bill Cowher at least has the excuse that he never had a QB until Big Ben (reaching a Super Bowl with Neil O'Donnell).  And then he won the Super Bowl once he got him. 

Bah, then maybe Coach Cowher should have drafted (or asked to be drafted) more than 1 QB higher than 5th round in his 12 HC years before Benjamin Todd

There were 8 or 9 pretty good QB drafted in that time frame, and a couple more who won Superbowls too

He has hit the wall.  His teams are good but not great.  Tomlin is a B+ coach so if you are happy just getting to the playoffs,  keep him.   He does remind me of Dungy.  

Edited by Nitro

What's funny to me is the Steelers defense allows a clown like QB Blake Bortles with Jags team to score 45 points on them AT Pittsburgh!  Whatever happened to the Blitzburgh Steelers who managed zero sacks on Bortles?

Then they go and fire their OC who helped Big Ben set playoff records of 37 of 58 for 469 yards, 5 TDs, 1 INT.

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 4:34 PM, Happy Gilmore said:

Tomlin will be around for at least another 5 years, he just signed an extension at the beginning of this season.  I have family in Pittsburgh, who tell me Tomlin gets questioned in the local media.

My good friend went to Pitt & he still has a lot of friends that live in the Burgh.  He says Tomlin gets questioned all the time by the fan base.  He also says that they don't appreciate Big ben has he gets criticized a lot also.  Some fan bases just don't know how good they have it.

Onto the subject, Tomlin is like 90% of the coaches out there.  Nothing special.  Give him a good QB & they win, give him a crap QB & they lose.  Tomlin has been blessed to have Big ben as his QB all these years.

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Bah, then maybe Coach Cowher should have drafted (or asked to be drafted) more than 1 QB higher than 5th round in his 12 HC years before Benjamin Todd

There were 8 or 9 pretty good QB drafted in that time frame, and a couple more who won Superbowls too

Perhaps, but that doesn't really refute my point.   

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It perhaps makes a different one: that if lacking a QB is the "excuse" for Cowher, perhaps he should have done more to acquire one.

I agree, he probably should have.  He wouldn't have been the first coach to neglect the position.  Maybe he did ask for better prospects.  I don't know.  I don't follow the workings of the Steelers that closely.  But this whole discussion is proving my point.  Tomlin has had a HOF QB for his entire time and his production is the same as Cowher's.  Tomlin is underachieving.

17 hours ago, jrober38 said:

I'd fire him.

Except he got over the hump and won a Superbowl.

But you know... Let's forget that happened.

They are already perennial Superbowl contenders.

2017 : loss to Jax (bad loss. I'm confident saying that the jags run ends this week in foxboro)

2016: loss to pats in conf champ (who won super bowl)

2015: loss to broncos (who won super bowl)

2014: loss to Ravens (that was when Bell tore his MCL week 17. Ben threw 2 picks that game against Baltimore)

2013: (8-8 missed playoffs)

2012: (8-8 missed playoffs)

2011: lost to Denver on the tebow miracle

I'm not sure that warrants firing.

17 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

Except he got over the hump and won a Superbowl.

But you know... Let's forget that happened.

They are already perennial Superbowl contenders.

2017 : loss to Jax (bad loss. I'm confident saying that the jags run ends this week in foxboro)

2016: loss to pats in conf champ (who won super bowl)

2015: loss to broncos (who won super bowl)

2014: loss to Ravens (that was when Bell tore his MCL week 17. Ben threw 2 picks that game against Baltimore)

2013: (8-8 missed playoffs)

2012: (8-8 missed playoffs)

2011: lost to Denver on the tebow miracle

I'm not sure that warrants firing.

I don't think ownership looks at it the same way.

They probably see:

2017 - didn't win Super Bowl

2016 - didn't win Super Bowl

2015 - didn't win Super Bowl

2014 - didn't win Super Bowl 

2013 - didn't win Super Bowl

2012 - didn't win Super Bowl 

2011 - didn't win Super Bowl

2010 - didn't win Super Bowl 

With the talent they've had over the past 8 years, they've under achieved. Too many "bad" playoff losses. 

4 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I don't think ownership looks at it the same way.

They probably see:

2017 - didn't win Super Bowl

2016 - didn't win Super Bowl

2015 - didn't win Super Bowl

2014 - didn't win Super Bowl 

2013 - didn't win Super Bowl

2012 - didn't win Super Bowl 

2011 - didn't win Super Bowl

2010 - didn't win Super Bowl 

With the talent they've had over the past 8 years, they've under achieved. Too many "bad" playoff losses. 

Ownership doesn't see it that way and Tomlin is going nowhere. 

The problem with the Steelers is that they have a lot of the central casting football coach type guys in charge. Alpha types who want to prove how tough they are and rant, and yell, and spit and scream.

Did you see the special teams coach before the onside kick? The man looked like a volcano about to erupt. Chomping his gum, spit flying everywhere, running all over the place, jumping around, yelling and screaming at seemingly nobody in particular.

At no point did I think "THAT guy has a solid plan!"

And the onside kick? A total botch, like most Steelers playoff runs.