Is McDermott or Beane running the show?

McDermott or Beane   

70 members have voted

1. 1. Who’s running the show?

• Beane
    • McDermott
    • They are partners, equal footing

The poll should read...

A) the Bills are in trouble because the GM has too much power.

B) the Bills are in trouble because the GM is has no power

C) the Bills are in trouble because no one is in charge.

D) DOOOOOOOOMED!

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Haha (+1) 2

This isnt up for debate, it's been stated, restated, and clarified numerous times by the only one that matters, Terry Pegula. McDermott and Beane are on equal footing. They work together, along with Pegula, and come to decisions as a group. Pegula has said he likes a flat org chart where they all report to him. He is the only one that can ultimately be held accountable, yet he is the only one that cant really ever be held accountable. That is why I hate this structure for a NFL front office. But hoprefully McD and Beane can pull it off and we wont have to worry about it. McBeane has earned a lot of rope with me this year so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

• Like (+1) 1

As with any large organization, no one 'runs the show', the show is run by a bunch of people operating in concert.

Success or failure is largely determined by the ability of those people to be productive and effective both individually and collectively.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This isnt up for debate, it's been stated, restated, and clarified numerous times by the only one that matters, Terry Pegula. McDermott and Beane are on equal footing. They work together, along with Pegula, and come to decisions as a group. Pegula has said he likes a flat org chart where they all report to him. He is the only one that can ultimately be held accountable, yet he is the only one that cant really ever be held accountable. That is why I hate this structure for a NFL front office. But hoprefully McD and Beane can pull it off and we wont have to worry about it. McBeane has earned a lot of rope with me this year so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

I agree, this isn't the best model to follow.

This style works for a small family run business but NOT a mega-billion dollar type organization...let the football minds run the football operation, the bean counter figure out the feasibility and the owner trust the opinions of those he hired to do their job.

McDermott is the most powerful voice in the organisation. He is the reason that Beane is here. Beane is HIS General Manager. But I believe them to be absolutely aligned in what they want to do and how they want to build. I think McDermott trusts Beane's ability and judgment and that will be the basis for our draft and FA strategy. However, not a single player is going to come into this organisation now, or I suspect at any point in this regime, that Sean McDermott isn't 100% on board with. 

• Like (+1) 1

As of right now I would venture to guess that McD the coach has the most power, which is the case with most good organizations.

McD trusts Beane who he hand picked because he knows that Beane understands that he will build a team in the vision of McD.  This is the way it's done, how the successful teams do it.  I'm glad that we finally have the structure to build a successful organization.

Now it's a matter of successfully selecting quality talented players through the draft and FA.

I voted 'equal footing.'

McD coaches the team; Beane builds the roster. 

Though I don't think it's a hard boundary.  It is interesting to me that Beane analyzes game management decisions.  And there's no doubt McD has input on the roster.  It's hard to tell from the outside looking in but it seems like these guys are more interested in collaboration than establishing fiefdoms where they rule autocratically.  

• Like (+1) 1