Buffalo only ranked 24th in League Attendance

BigDingus

One reason for Miami's good attendance numbers likely relates to the fact that no matter who they play, a large contingent attends rooting for the away team!  That kind of skews statistics and goes against the notion that Dolphins' fans are better than they get credit for.

You can't rely on their home attendance numbers; you have to somehow distinguish how many of those people are actually cheering for the Dolphins if you are trying to assert Miami supports the Dolphins better than supposed.

Regarding the somewhat surprisingly low Bills numbers...well, Bills are #1 in almost everything, according to this forum.

LOL.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/attendance/_/sort/homePct

So I keep seeing these threads mocking the Dolphins attendance for the last game of the season, saying if the situation was reversed the Bills would've had a full stadium. 

But we've seen time & time again that really isn't true. Even this year, we've seen games where there are plenty of seats empty, even though we were in the thick of the playoff race. Even in week 15, against the apparently "hated rival" Dolphins, with a chance to go 8-6 and as our LAST home game, we only managed to sell 85% of the tickets. 

Overall, we rank 24th while Miami ranks 3rd. Even when you switch to "average" attendance, Bills only move up to 17th, still one spot below Miami at 16th. The Jags are 19th in percentage, and 21st in average just for reference since they're also made fun of for the tarps, then swapping them out for pools. 

I think people still assume we just turn out in droves no matter what, as we used to be that way in the past. I don't blame people for not going amidst an 18 year playoff drought, but I feel the glorification of our fan turnout isn't reality.

December games and a mid season losing streak probably killed attendance.

33 minutes ago, SF Bills Fan said:

Pittsburgh, Minnesota and Buffalo all at the same level which is interesting for teams with hardcore fan bases, successful teams (more so Pitt and minn right now)  and Minnesota has that awesome new stadium. I'll point to our snow game which probably didn't help the attendance figure. But that seems low for us and few other cities. 

I think the fact that all games are on tv in local markets now, does not help the Bills attendance any. The cost of going to a game, coupled with the product on the field (for the last decade and a half), and less than great weather can't help.

The Bills irrelevance has really taken it's toll on gameday attendance.

The people who show are more engaged than the average NFL crowd, IMO..........but gotta' take into account that there is now an entire generation of young Steelers, Pats and Giants fans in a lot of what was once "Bills Country" due to the Bills irrelevance. 

39 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

So I keep seeing these threads mocking the Dolphins attendance for the last game of the season, saying if the situation was reversed the Bills would've had a full stadium. 

But we've seen time & time again that really isn't true. Even this year, we've seen games where there are plenty of seats empty, even though we were in the thick of the playoff race. Even in week 15, against the apparently "hated rival" Dolphins, with a chance to go 8-6 and as our LAST home game, we only managed to sell 85% of the tickets. 

Overall, we rank 24th while Miami ranks 3rd. Even when you switch to "average" attendance, Bills only move up to 17th, still one spot below Miami at 16th. The Jags are 19th in percentage, and 21st in average just for reference since they're also made fun of for the tarps, then swapping them out for pools. 

I think people still assume we just turn out in droves no matter what, as we used to be that way in the past. I don't blame people for not going amidst an 18 year playoff drought, but I feel the glorification of our fan turnout isn't reality.

Overall attendance is hard to judge. IF all NFL stadiums were filled to capacity every week Buffalo would rank 11th in the NFL before standing room tickets just by basic capacity rankings. In general teams manipulate numbers all the time including BUF so it is very hard to judge because everyone is trying to look better then the next. I was at the snow game and they said 60k showed yet I felt like it was more low 50k but who am I to know.

Bills fans I think are a very dedicated bunch and one of the big 6 fan bases that travel well and loyalty knows no fault (other five KC, DEN, PIT, CLE, & PHI). At the same point I think we and other similar football markets sometimes get a little full of ourselves because of devotion and markets like LA or Miami become easy targets when the stands aren't a 100% full despite the fact we have had similar this season.

On the other hand the stadium has been for the most part this last decade pretty full or sold out regularly. This season people came in with far less high hopes and backed down on the madness. I know I myself went from season to going to 3 games.

• Like (+1) 1

and # 1 of jumping from heights and missing targets or catching oneself on fire

we are also the drunkest fans in the NFL 30 years running.. GO BILLS

These are stats that truly matter. Don't lose focus. Eyes on the prize

Edited by ddaryl
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Seriously you can't be comparing Miami to Buffalo. A Miami team that sells mega tickets to corp sponsors and those seats go unfilled leaving a half empty stadium most weeks. Then of the fans that show up the opposing teams have almost as many fans there as the Fins. The box score shows sellout or near sellout. And we have this posting saying Fins are supported better than Bills. Even when 10,000 seats where removed last year. Crazy pills I say. SMH.

For people that are curious, NFL and most major sports don't show "actual attendance" the attendance number shown on every broadcast and on OP's link are not the actual attendance they are tickets sold. 

I'm willing to bet New Era "real attendance" is a much higher number in comparison to other nfl teams.

(Especially the Fish) I mean did OP  not see the stadium in week 17? Does anyone think the had 65,000 people there or even half that?

Edited by BuffaloSol
Add
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It's clear actual attendance is down. Lots of seats empty at most games. 

Obviously that would improve with the team improvement but I agree with the original OP: The Bills fans don't show like they used to. At the NO game, the stadium felt like it was 20% Saints fans. Of course, by the middle of the 3rd quarter, it was 100% Saints fans. 

3 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

It's clear actual attendance is down. Lots of seats empty at most games. 

Obviously that would improve with the team improvement but I agree with the original OP: The Bills fans don't show like they used to. At the NO game, the stadium felt like it was 20% Saints fans. Of course, by the middle of the 3rd quarter, it was 100% Saints fans. 

It's not about agreeing that actual attendance is down league wide, OP is saying Bills fans are disproportionately worse and we don't deserve credit for being a strong fan base.

He is basing it on tickets bought and not actual attendance and then refuting the fact that in his same chart Bills away games cause attendance in opposing stadiums to be at the 4th highest "bought ticket" percentage.