Darnold is unimpressive tonight

Lenigmusx

Last night's game won't move the needle on Darnold one bit. 

As for the rest of the crop, KDiggz pretty much nailed it above. Scouts have Rosen at the top and then everyone else. Not talking heads, some of whom are paid agents' shills, but actual league scouts. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, kdiggz said:

Rosen is the clear #1.  he will go to Cleveland or NY.  out of who i would want for us, i would say none of the above.  go to the senior bowl, work with Mason Rudolph, see if there is any way he could work under center.  i just think he is too similar to the Jets backup QB's and he has a long way to go before he can start in the NFL.  i would expect us to draft someone as a project plus get a veteran that can start right away so as far as projects go I don't think there is much of a difference between Allen and Rudolph except that Rudolph has had success at the position and will be a better bargain as a 2nd round pick.

I agree with everything here except I'm slightly more enthusiastic about Darnold (not a lot, but a little).  Rosen is the clear #1.  I still think there's a very small chance that the Giants will trade out of their spot for enough of a bounty.  IF they're willing to work with Manning for a couple more years they can afford to take a Rudolph type and let him sit while using more picks to build the team up.

My one slight hope left is that Cleveland wants Darnold and the Giants will trade out.  Outside of that, I agree that the Bills should pass on the rest of these guys, go ahead and overpay for a vet and build the team up until they can do better.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Acantha said:

I agree with everything here except I'm slightly more enthusiastic about Darnold (not a lot, but a little).  Rosen is the clear #1.  I still think there's a very small chance that the Giants will trade out of their spot for enough of a bounty.  IF they're willing to work with Manning for a couple more years they can afford to take a Rudolph type and let him sit while using more picks to build the team up.

My one slight hope left is that Cleveland wants Darnold and the Giants will trade out.  Outside of that, I agree that the Bills should pass on the rest of these guys, go ahead and overpay for a vet and build the team up until they can do better.

I still think Darnold is a future franchise QB i just think that A) he stays in school this year and B) at the next level he's going to be more of a Alex Smith than a Tom Brady

2 hours ago, kdiggz said:

I still think Darnold is a future franchise QB i just think that A) he stays in school this year and B) at the next level he's going to be more of a Alex Smith than a Tom Brady

I can see that, and I think it's going to be a rough transition for him, but he'll steady out.  I also think a timing based offense like Dennison's would be the best fit for him and help alleviate a bit of the pressure.

8 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Get off Tyrod please - that is not who you want teaching a future pocket passer for a year.  If you are going to draft a pocket passer - go get a veteran that throws from the pocket and can read coverage.  Someone that will do what the coaches want in the flow of the game.

If you are drafting a running QB like Jackson - then you maybe keep TT, but you do not want TT teaching a young QB to be late with throws and not throw to open WRs.

If you decide to keep TT as a bridge - you need him to be teaching the rookie how to read defenses and what you are looking at and that is not what TT is about.  

6 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So you would take one of the worst passers from the pocket to mentor a traditional pocket passer?  

Some of you, I think, or putting too much into this meant touring thing with veteran QBs versus Rockies. If we get Donald and he's on the bench he will learn from the coaches and in the film room.

One thing he can observe from Tyrod and take from him is his Monday to Saturday preparation. 

Favre didn't "mentor" Rodgers. They didn't even like each other by most reports.

If Darnold is the kid he's reported to be, he's going to learn what to do and what not to do while sitting and observing.

And if we get him and we just decide to start in from game one and take our lumps, I'm fine with that, too. :thumbsup:

Regardless of all this, I know VERY little about college football, but the little I know the only 3 QBs I want at this moment are Mayfield, Darnold, Rudolph... in that order.

And I'll repeat, I'm largely unaware of college football.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

16 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Some of you, I think, or putting too much into this meant touring thing with veteran QBs versus Rockies. If we get Donald and he's on the bench he will learn from the coaches and in the film room.

One thing he can observe from Tyrod and take from him is his Monday to Saturday preparation. 

Favre didn't "mentor" Rodgers. They didn't even like each other by most reports.

If Darnold is the kid he's reported to be, he's going to learn what to do and what not to do while sitting and observing.

And if we get him and we just decide to start in from game one and take our lumps, I'm fine with that, too. :thumbsup:

Regardless of all this, I know VERY little about college football, but the little I know the only 3 QBs I want at this moment are Mayfield, Darnold, Rudolph... in that order.

He will also learn from a vet....pick his brain.

Its very common for rookies at any position to be taken under the wing from a vet.  It’s talked about all the time.....all the time.

RochesterFan is right...a Lamar Jackson type who plays a game similar to Taylor would be a good mentor.   A traditional pocket passer coming out wouldn’t be because Taylor is a guy struggles big time in the pocket, doesn’t make the best decisions throwing it (not INT’s but pass up a bigger play for a short dump off) and is generally late on routes.

55 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

They also learn through discussion and asking questions.  Why did you make a particular read.  The reason you bring a vet in is for mentorship - the best mentor will play a similar style to help with the transition.  

The coaches he’s can show the film and teach that aspect, but having a mentor helps in development - especially in game with what is going on.  If your vet does not play within the confines of the offense - you get the coaches either teaching on thing to one guy and something different to another making the film study more difficult and getting less out of it.

7 hours ago, mannc said:

Returning to school will do nothing more than delay the inevitable bust for one more year.   He’s not good, and another year at SC isn’t going to change that.  The emperor is stark naked.

I think he’s a playoff QB by year 3 

He ain’t that naked.   

5 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

Mannerisms remind me too much of Smokin' Jay.  I want no part of the kid.

Idk, certainly I hope not, but I must agree there was a lengthy interval in the fourth quarter where he seemed oddly indifferent to the urgency of the situation that he and his team found themselves in. I've seen him play a half dozen times. Had not noticed that before. Seemed really wierd. 

10 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Idk, certainly I hope not, but I must agree there was a lengthy interval in the fourth quarter where he seemed oddly indifferent to the urgency of the situation that he and his team found themselves in. I've seen him play a half dozen times. Had not noticed that before. Seemed really wierd. 

Same here. It felt like they had no idea what the score was or how much time was left.

50 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Indifference is probably a good way to characterize what I saw.  Maybe a kid wanting to get out of his last game healthy more than he wanted to win? Just spitballing here, you've watched him more than I.

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

Indifference is probably a good way to characterize what I saw.  Maybe a kid wanting to get out of his last game healthy more than he wanted to win? Just spitballing here, you've watched him more than I.

I was wondering that as well. He had to be terrified of that DL roughing up a shoulder or something.

42 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

I don't think the bowl game drops his draft status.  I think NFL talent evaluators figured out that no QB behind that offensive line was going to look very good versus Ohio State.

Yes, poor old USC: always starved for talent. The excuses for this guy just never end.

1 hour ago, starrymessenger said:

I guess the Buckeyes amongst us are feeling pretty good (not to say smug) today.

Where do they make those Bosa toys? Bills should buy a couple. 

Would be nice but (hopefully) bills won’t draft high enough next year to draft Nick. What a beast. Only wish there were more coming through OSU .... like the Borens

10 minutes ago, mannc said:

Yes, poor old USC: always starved for talent. The excuses for this guy just never end.

:huh:

The talent of the lines has nothing to do with it.  Are you denying that the Ohio St defense was all over him after roughly 2 seconds all night?  It doesn't excuse all of his play (or all of his play through the whole season for that matter), but excuses?  What are you talking about?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.