Darnold is unimpressive tonight

Lenigmusx

1 minute ago, HansLanda said:

Totally valid....But: you go to the pros now, you are going to be a top 5 pick with a world of expectations and lots of flaws on a crap team.  You will get a high class rookie deal $$.  Still, that is a lot to deal with as a 20 yr old.

He doesn't - at all - seem like the second coming of peyton manning. Had a great Rose Bowl last year against a B10 team that sees different offenses. 

To be clear, I'd grab him without hesitation in the draft but hopefully whoever does that is smart enough to have him sit on the bench for a year or two behind someone like Eli, Rivers, Brees or Brady.   Agree there is a huge risk of throwing him to the wolves too early.

1 minute ago, Success said:

Bad game overall - but I get the fuss.  He has made some sick throws

So does every college QB at a tier 1 school.

In the first half, OSU made him throw into tight windows and forced a pick 6, a fumble and a dropped pick.  That is the NFL in the preseason. 

Look, he may end up being really good, but look at all his games. 

34 minutes ago, Augie said:

He’s facing an NFL quality front 4 with a weak O-Line. PLEASE let him drop to us because of this mismatch!!! 

(It will never happen.) 

Yuuuup.

always enjoy bowl season when folks roll in with “Ive seen upwards of 3 drives of this kids career and don’t know what those that do this professionally and watch every throw 8 times are thinking”

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HansLanda said:

Ohio State is the most NFL-"type" defense Darnold has seen. Not saying he will be a complete bust, but everyone should tap the brakes. Ball simply does not come out quick enough.

He has hardly had any pocket.

I understand your caution, but he’s a guy who has real potential for greatness, imo.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

I've bashed him plenty, but I do see the appeal of Darnold.  When he's in rhythm, he's deadly accurate.  Just needs more experience.

Whether that's another year of football or a year or 2 on the bench in the NFL...I'll leave that to the professionals.

If a professional burns a top 3 pick on a guy who needs to sit on the bench for 2 years, well that person won't be a professional much longer.

45 minutes ago, Augie said:

He’s facing an NFL quality front 4 with a weak O-Line. PLEASE let him drop to us because of this mismatch!!! 

He's better than what you're witnessing tonight. T Martin has called an odd game plan. The SC oline has played poorly. And OSU has gotten away with 3 blatant pi's. Sam has been off tonight but he could play for me anyday.

Edited by LABILLBACKER

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.