Darnold is unimpressive tonight

Lenigmusx

8 hours ago, DallasMac said:

Nobody would look good with the pressure he's been facing.  O line has been bad.  Not to mention the lack of running game.  He's still thrown some nice balls.  I'd take him without hesitation.

Wait, haven't you read the Rob Johnson thread?  Geniuses there will tell you, when a QB faces heavy pressure it means the QB stinks.

Wrong.   I only saw 4 or 5 1st half drives, but based on only that,  his arm talent jumps off the screen.  Velocity,  release point,  accuracy, accuracy & velocity on the run.   Impossible to block that throw.  Right over the top.  Tall, big, fast.  He throws it better than 95% of NFL QBs.   The team around him didn't belong on the field with OSU , but he is terrific..   With that arm, he will kill it in the combine and likely go #1.  Let's hope he drops and we can trade up to 4 or 5 and get him.  

• Haha (+1) 1

The ball security issue is what most concerns me. I’m not shocked that the Ohio State D shut him down. My concern is with his lack of ball security. This has been an ongoing issue for the entire season. Make all the excuses you want, but he has to do better with that. It’s not as if he won’t face pressure in the NFL. 

7 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Again... so our hope could then be he comes out, falls, maybe we still trade up but not as far as top 5, and maybe we let him sit on the bench for just a little while while he who shall not be named (by some :flirt:) starts for a bit while he grows a little.

Yeah, maybe he's still a bit raw.

But a lot of what I've read and heard say he has the potential to be a generational QB.

So you would take one of the worst passers from the pocket to mentor a traditional pocket passer?  

44 minutes ago, 8-8 Forever? said:

Wrong.   I only saw 4 or 5 1st half drives, but based on only that,  his arm talent jumps off the screen.  Velocity,  release point,  accuracy, accuracy & velocity on the run.   Impossible to block that throw.  Right over the top.  Tall, big, fast.  He throws it better than 95% of NFL QBs.   The team around him didn't belong on the field with OSU , but he is terrific..   With that arm, he will kill it in the combine and likely go #1.  Let's hope he drops and we can trade up to 4 or 5 and get him.  

I saw a turnover prone, deer in the headlights, hold the ball, one read, gun shy green horn. Also with a propensity to force ill advised throws because of over confidence in his arm. Sure he made some outstanding plays but USC should have been in the game and really out played OSU in the second half but Darnold crumbled in the red zone a couple times. Missed FG, Fumble etc.. if you are looking at raw athletic ability I.e. Arm talent, size, mobility etc... Josh Allen is The Elway of this generation. He has many flaws for sure but so does Darnold all of them have higher risk than a sure fire blue chip QB should. This is not the class of 1983 that is for sure.  I say take Allen with the 25 pick he is used to cold and wind and has a huge arm (Biggest in the draft). He also has a much better delivery than Darnold no hitch, smooth with that wrist snap that Marino had. 

Edited by Lenigmusx

37 minutes ago, Lenigmusx said:

I saw a turnover prone, deer in the headlights, hold the ball, one read, gun shy green horn. Also with a propensity to force ill advised throws because of over confidence in his arm. Sure he made some outstanding plays but USC should have been in the game and really out played OSU in the second half but Darnold crumbled in the red zone a couple times. Missed FG, Fumble etc.. if you are looking at raw athletic ability I.e. Arm talent, size, mobility etc... Josh Allen is The Elway of this generation. He has many flaws for sure but so does Darnold all of them have higher risk than a sure fire blue chip QB should. This is not the class of 1983 that is for sure.  I say take Allen with the 25 pick he is used to cold and wind and has a huge arm (Biggest in the draft). He also has a much better delivery than Darnold no hitch, smooth with that wrist snap that Marino had. 

Allen > Darnold.  

Spicy ! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, H2o said:

Darnold needs to return to USC for another year. Whether he does that or not we will see. The lure of being a top 10 pick and money grabs hold of many of these kids. He's not ready. 

Returning to school will do nothing more than delay the inevitable bust for one more year.   He’s not good, and another year at SC isn’t going to change that.  The emperor is stark naked.

Josh Rosen is the only NFL ready QB in the draft.  he will go #1.  I've been telling you guys for 2 years now.  his mechanics are flawless.  he makes some dumb throws that he will need to learn not to attempt.  you can fix that.  you can't drastically change mechanics like coaches and scouts want you to believe.  maybe MINOR changes if you work hard at it and get it into your muscle memory but once the bullets start flying and you have a 300 pound DE running full speed at you, you revert back to the way you've always done things pretty quickly.  i'll take the guy with the best mechanics every time over a project with poor accuracy, mechanics, or arm strength.

with Allen they see a guy that SHOULD be a good QB but guess what, he's not.  he's never been a good QB at any level.  if you think he's all of a sudden going to get more accurate once he gets to the NFL then you are nuts.  if he can't complete passes vs East Podunk University then he's not completing passes against the Seattle Seahawks db's.  he's a 3 year project that i don't think will ever pan out.

Darnold has a wonky release.  every game i've watched of his he has had a strip fumble because he has the ball low and to the side.  NFL players know to go for that ball every time.  he does have good size and a quick release but there's no way they are fixing that arm angle.  i see him as a game manager at the next level.  he will stay in school.  he wants a championship and a heisman.  he is young and has a lot left to accomplish.  perhaps if we don't get someone this year he will be a consideration for us next year.  he should be the consensus #1 QB on the board by then though.

Mayfield is a midget.  he's listed at 6'1" but there's no way he is even 5'11".  he was the same size as Flutie on the heisman stage and Doug is in his 50's now so he's probably even shorter than he was when he was playing.  he has spunk and he's exciting so I know a lot of people like him because of that, but he's going to have a really tough go of it at the next level and given his mental makeup is he humble and hard working enough to work through it or is he going to lose it like Manziel and whip people off and grab himself and escape the pressure by partying too much?  too many red flags with this guy.  he wouldn't even be a consideration for me in the 1st round but some team will be desperate enough to take him, i just hope it isn't us.

Lamar Jackson, just say no.  we have had 3 years of Tyrod and this would definitely not be an upgrade.  he's built like a toothpick and he's a running QB.  he might be exciting when he scrambles but he doesn't have the accuracy to be a pocket passer.  you can't run away from guys in the NFL like you can in college.  everyone is fast and athletic.  running QB's never last long at the next level.  you take too many hits and you are done (RG3).  he would be a pretty good WR.  maybe he will eventually change like the Ohio St QB's have in the past.

Rosen is the clear #1.  he will go to Cleveland or NY.  out of who i would want for us, i would say none of the above.  go to the senior bowl, work with Mason Rudolph, see if there is any way he could work under center.  i just think he is too similar to the Jets backup QB's and he has a long way to go before he can start in the NFL.  i would expect us to draft someone as a project plus get a veteran that can start right away so as far as projects go I don't think there is much of a difference between Allen and Rudolph except that Rudolph has had success at the position and will be a better bargain as a 2nd round pick.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He threw for over 350 yards so of course that means he had a great game. :lol:

Coming in late here - i watched up until he fumbled in osu territory down 17-0. My quick take, at least on the early part of the game: his receivers killed him, fumbling away one on the first possession and then dropping a perfect throw on the second possession that would have put them at the osu 25. Things seemed to snowball after that.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Coming in late here - i watched up until he fumbled in osu territory down 17-0. My quick take, at least on the early part of the game: his receivers killed him, fumbling away one on the first possession and then dropping a perfect throw on the second possession that would have put them at the osu 25. Things seemed to snowball after that.

His team was overmatched.  He showed some nice things, but there was only so much he could do under the circumstances. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 8-8 Forever? said:

That USC team is full of talent again, as they usually are. They have plenty of weapons at the skill positions. You know who Darnold reminds me of? A fellow named Jeff George. The best QB in this draft is Mayfield and he will likely be gone before we pick. 

27 minutes ago, H2o said:

That USC team is full of talent again, as they usually are. They have plenty of weapons at the skill positions. You know who Darnold reminds me of? A fellow named Jeff George. The best QB in this draft is Mayfield and he will likely be gone before we pick. 

Well, I am a big Mayfield fan.  Skeptics think his game won't translate to the NFL.  I think the Johnny Football comparisons are lazy and almost totally wrong.  When all is said and done, I suspect you have to trade up to get Mayfield.  We can wait if we want Rudolph (I am not keen on the fella, so that is who we probably end up with.)

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

Well, I am a big Mayfield fan.  Skeptics think his game won't translate to the NFL.  I think the Johnny Football comparisons are lazy and almost totally wrong.  When all is said and done, I suspect you have to trade up to get Mayfield.  We can wait if we want Rudolph (I am not keen on the fella, so that is who we probably end up with.)

I like Rosen and Mayfield as the top prospects, with Mayfield being my guy of course. I would take either though. I would put Allen and Darnold as the next two who have the potential to be good, but I am nowhere near sold on them either. I don't care for Rudolph too much because he is up and down. To me he seems to rattle easy. I also think he benefited from the fact he has the best WR group of any of the top QB's. I think he locks onto a guy or one side of the field too much. He doesn't seem to operate well with any kind of pressure on him either, which is something I see Mayfield being far superior at no matter his size. Lamar Jackson? God no. He is not an NFL QB regardless of what anyone on this board tries to use as an argument. I would rather keep Tyrod before bringing in his slightly taller clone who is less accurate. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.