Darnold is unimpressive tonight

Lenigmusx

6 minutes ago, Success said:

He has hardly had any pocket.

I understand your caution, but he’s a guy who has real potential for greatness, imo.  

I don't 100% disagree. He is 20. He def can play the game. He just has warts; and so do most at his age.

But the things I am cautioned by are his mechanics and awareness. His arm strength looks great on out patterns that aren't covered by a D that is dominating them at the moment. It's like saying a center fielder has a great arm throwing to second after a batter hit a single that he isn't stretching to a double. 

I dunno, think his stock is just a tad inflated. 

Edited by HansLanda

Just now, HansLanda said:

I don't 100% disagree. He is 20. He def can play the game. He just has warts; and so do most at his age.

But the things I am cautioned by are his mechanics and awareness. His arm strength looks great on out patterns that aren't covered by a D that is dominating them at the moment. It's like saying a center fielder has a great arm throwing to second after a batter it a single that he isn't stretching to a double. 

I dunno, think his stock is just a tad inflated. 

It probably did take a hit with this game.  Fierce pass rush, but he’ll get that regularly in the pros and has to handle it better.

Still, I wonder if he’ll still come out.  He’s still a top 5 pick, and the cautionary tale of Barkley probably looms large at USC

1 minute ago, Success said:

It probably did take a hit with this game.  Fierce pass rush, but he’ll get that regularly in the pros and has to handle it better.

Still, I wonder if he’ll still come out.  He’s still a top 5 pick, and the cautionary tale of Barkley probably looms large at USC

That is why you come out now - good or bad. You have to take the $$.

You go back and risk another "down" year or a big injury? no way. At that point, collecting insurance would just be like peeing on a fire. 

1 minute ago, Bubba Gump said:

Talk about not being scared to throw into coverage. He will throw 20+ picks a season in the NFL and wouldn't care. Throws a beautiful ball, but usually not to the right guy. I liked him better last year from what I've seen from him this year.

He looks like a one-read QB.  Hits his third step and throws to a spot.  Works within the system.  Doesn't audible, doesn't adjust blocking schemes, doesn't go through progressions.

NFL coaches don't have time to teach QBs these things.  Darnold is a walking red-flag.

2 minutes ago, Perry Turtle said:

He looks like a one-read QB.  Hits his third step and throws to a spot.  Works within the system.  Doesn't audible, doesn't adjust blocking schemes, doesn't go through progressions.

NFL coaches don't have time to teach QBs these things.  Darnold is a walking red-flag.

Just to be clear, this guy is going top 5 and we have thrown very reasonable darts at him.  Imagine what Beane and Co. (and all NFL evaluators) has on all of these guys - good and bad.  

Even with flaws, GMs love Darnold. 

One thing I did like about this game is that I would love the Bills to hire Greg Schiano as their defensive coordinator. Sam Darnold may want to choose a new career path after the beating he took tonight. Schiano doesn't care what the score is, he is gonna keep coming at you. Brady woulda looked like poop against that pressure tonight.

5 minutes ago, Perry Turtle said:

That and as yolo says in another thread. 

Baker Mayfield tore this Ohio State defense apart. 

10 minutes ago, Perry Turtle said:

In Sam's defense, with the pressure he was seeing, I'm sure the plan was to get the ball out as quickly as possible. 

How many college QBs have the freedom to audible or do you see running up and down the line calling out protections?  This is still college football we're talking about. 

Just now, Chicken Boo said:

In Sam's defense, with the pressure he was seeing, I'm sure the plan was to get the ball out as quickly as possible. 

How many college QBs have the freedom to audible or do you see running up and down the line calling out protections?  This is still college football we're talking about. 

There are a few.  Wentz, Goff, Luck.  You're right, many college QBs are not asked to do those things, and those QBs usually flop in the NFL, even if they are first round picks.

There's more to being a good NFL QB than having a strong, accurate arm.  The best thing for Darnold would be to stay in college another year and lobby his coach to install a NFL-style offense.

10 minutes ago, Perry Turtle said:

Mayfield seems to have the best combination of skill and intangibles of all the QB prospects this year.

Except for size, and that's the one thing that scares me. Not many QBs his size will succeed in the NFL anymore. These defensive players are getting bigger and bigger. The days of Drew Brees style QBs are coming to an end IMO. Manziel was an epic failure trying to make the transition, but I think that was due more to his little "sauce" problem. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.