Notable Nexflix / Amazon / Premium Channel Series & Movies

Heitz

14 hours ago, Metal Man said:

Finally got around to watching the first season of Foundation.

It starts out as a pretty good sci-fi show. Very heady high concept stuff with a focus on character development and world building. Eventually it kind of struggles with staying in that lane and tries to into more main stream storytelling which I assume is to attempt to appeal to a broader audience. Overall I mostly enjoyed it though and it was renewed for a second season.

I have no experience with the source material so I have no idea how faithful it is but based on what I've heard about the books I am going to guess it diverges quite a bit.

A ton. Show was a debacle, not because it deviated so much. It just sucked. They took hard sci fi and made the main character into a palm reading sorceress. TErrible. 

Watched the first couple episodes of Reacher on Amazon Prime. If you have read any of the Reacher books by Lee Child (and there are a ton of them), the series does a pretty good job of capturing the overall feel/vibe of the character...loner, complicated past, always comes out on top, etc.

If you know the books, then you know that while the Tom Cruise movies were decent entertainment, the character he was playing was NOT the Jack Reacher. Cruise is 5' 6" with heals and maybe 150 lbs. Reacher is 6'5", 240lbs and a menacing dude. This series, for the most part, at least gets that part right. I was hoping the actor would be a bit more brooding and weathered and a little less handsome and chiselled, but after 2 episodes it's working for me.

One note - if you are a fan of the books, then you know that the stories often rely on wild leaps of faith, impossible coincidences, and a general suspension of logic, all of which are present in the series. It makes Jack Ryan look positively by-the-book. But it works! The books are well-written, pulpy fun, and so far so is the series.

On 1/26/2022 at 5:59 PM, Nextmanup said:

First couple episodes of Euphoria on HBO, Season 2, are now out.

I LOVE this show--check it out if you haven't watched it.

I never watched the show, but the premise weirds me out.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't they portraying HS kids with nudity, hook ups, and drugs?

I’m going to give Vikings: Valhalla on Netflix, a try tonight.

A sequel to the History Channel’s Vikings set 100 years after that show ended which  will feature Leif Ericsson as the main character.

The trailer looks interesting, and if it’s anything like the original, it should be good.

• Like (+1) 1

Vikings Valhalla is great!! If a fan of the 1st Vikings series, you will love it. 

3 hours ago, Special K said:

I’m going to give Vikings: Valhalla on Netflix, a try tonight.

A sequel to the History Channel’s Vikings set 100 years after that show ended which  will feature Leif Ericsson as the main character.

The trailer looks interesting, and if it’s anything like the original, it should be good.

I'm on episode 7, been watching a lot yesterday and today. It's very intersting

• Like (+1) 2

On 2/24/2022 at 5:04 PM, DD4Bills said:

Watched the first couple episodes of Reacher on Amazon Prime. If you have read any of the Reacher books by Lee Child (and there are a ton of them), the series does a pretty good job of capturing the overall feel/vibe of the character...loner, complicated past, always comes out on top, etc.

If you know the books, then you know that while the Tom Cruise movies were decent entertainment, the character he was playing was NOT the Jack Reacher. Cruise is 5' 6" with heals and maybe 150 lbs. Reacher is 6'5", 240lbs and a menacing dude. This series, for the most part, at least gets that part right. I was hoping the actor would be a bit more brooding and weathered and a little less handsome and chiselled, but after 2 episodes it's working for me.

One note - if you are a fan of the books, then you know that the stories often rely on wild leaps of faith, impossible coincidences, and a general suspension of logic, all of which are present in the series. It makes Jack Ryan look positively by-the-book. But it works! The books are well-written, pulpy fun, and so far so is the series.

Roscoe is a dime piece and was pretty pumped (and surprised) she had a nude scene! 

Been a few months since I've been here and scrolled back and since I've seen no discussion of it I want to ask:

Has anyone watched Midnight Mass and what did you think?

I honestly think as far as limited series goes it's easily in my top 5 and more likely in my top 3.  True Detective season 1 will forever be hard to beat.

As far as other shows, I see people talking about Reacher.  Loved it!  Cruised right through it! (I typed that sentence without the pun intended... but... pun intended now)

If you are willing to try something a little different, Schmigadoon on Apple TV + is actually really good.  It's a satire/parody of old 1950s musicals... and yes... it's a bit of a musical.  Keenan Michael-Key and Cecily Strong are the main stars, but it has a bunch of other really good actors you'll recognize.

If you're into some dry British comedy with a bit of history (yes, it's actually based loosely on a true story), the first 3 episodes of Our Flag Means Death are out on HBO Max.  Wife and I love it.

19 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Been a few months since I've been here and scrolled back and since I've seen no discussion of it I want to ask:

Has anyone watched Midnight Mass and what did you think?

I honestly think as far as limited series goes it's easily in my top 5 and more likely in my top 3.  True Detective season 1 will forever be hard to beat.

As far as other shows, I see people talking about Reacher.  Loved it!  Cruised right through it! (I typed that sentence without the pun intended... but... pun intended now)

If you are willing to try something a little different, Schmigadoon on Apple TV + is actually really good.  It's a satire/parody of old 1950s musicals... and yes... it's a bit of a musical.  Keenan Michael-Key and Cecily Strong are the main stars, but it has a bunch of other really good actors you'll recognize.

If you're into some dry British comedy with a bit of history (yes, it's actually based loosely on a true story), the first 3 episodes of Our Flag Means Death are out on HBO Max.  Wife and I love it.

I really liked Midnight Mass, although it was a bit predictable. And I love what I've seen so far of Our Flag Means Death. Really strong start.

On 2/24/2022 at 5:04 PM, DD4Bills said:

The last Reacher book I read was with what I believe to be his son, Andrew Child. Someone said Lee was ready to give it up and handed it off to his son. Better Off Dead was like a caricature of a typical Reacher novel. Everything “Reacher”  is exaggerated, including a lot of one word sentences. I’ll check out the series on Amazon Prime, but I’ll pick different books going forward. 

On 3/7/2022 at 2:54 PM, transplantbillsfan said:

It's an American show, but probably more accurate: American/New Zealand/Irish/Northern Irish/Scottish/British show. I like it. I'm a fan of Taika Watiti et al.

The creator/showrunner did the underrated, "People of the Earth," a funny TBS show about an alien abduction support group. 

• 3 weeks later...

Looking for the perfect work-life balance? Have I got the solution for you! Join Lumon Industries and undergo a simple, minimally invasive procedure and enjoy perfect work-life balance...because your work life is literally severed from your personal life, in that your "work" self literally knows nothing about anything that happens outside of work, and vice versa. What can possibly go wrong?

Severance on Apple TV+

• Agree 1

On 3/25/2022 at 7:44 AM, DD4Bills said:

Looking for the perfect work-life balance? Have I got the solution for you! Join Lumon Industries and undergo a simple, minimally invasive procedure and enjoy perfect work-life balance...because your work life is literally severed from your personal life, in that your "work" self literally knows nothing about anything that happens outside of work, and vice versa. What can possibly go wrong?

Severance on Apple TV+

Severance is one of the best shows I've watched in awhile.  Can't wait for the last episode of season 1 on Friday!

I finally watched Peacemaker.  I wasn't going to watch it initially because I thought The Suicide Squad was horrendous (I actually liked Suicide Squad).  Peacemaker was actually really good, though.

By contrast, I brought up Our Flag Means Death earlier.  First half of the series was fantastic.  The ending of the season was AWFUL!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

On 4/3/2022 at 4:59 PM, RaoulDuke79 said:

I'm about 20 minutes into The Outlaws on Amazon, and had a few good laughs so far. I'm a sucker for anything with Christopher Walken.

4 episodes in. This is a good show. Witty and well written.

Edited by RaoulDuke79