Notable Nexflix / Amazon / Premium Channel Series & Movies

Heitz

1 hour ago, Max Fischer said:

Severance is by far my favorite show of the year.

I'm partial to limited series, as I believe most shows go on far too long. However, I don't think I'd mind if Severance was 40 episodes long; there is a lot to explore. 

By the same token, now that we are in the era of "Super TV" meaning shows that are ongoing, but every bit as well done as feature films, I find your standard feature film to be pathetically too short...depending on what it is.

I'm thinking of films that try to tackle a big scope like "Gettysburg".  A feature film for that type of subject matter is just wrong.  You could it so much better, and give the subject so much more justice, if that is a limited (8 or 10 part?) series, or even a full blown series with a full season or 2.

I can't imagine not having to make serious artistic concessions to get any film down to a 90 minute to 120 minute limit.

On 5/24/2022 at 5:47 PM, WhoTom said:

I don't think we've watched a network sitcom since the Seinfeld years, but we started watching Ghosts and so far it's been pretty good.

It's funny you say that; the only 2 "regular network" tv shows I have watched in probably 20 years are "Seinfeld" and "LOST"--and I greatly enjoyed both.

But as a rule, I'm not even aware of network stuff or what I'm missing.

In the middle of the night last (couldn't sleep) I caught "AT CLOSE RANGE" on one of the HBO channels.

I had somehow missed this film (made in 1986) and it absolutely fantastic.

I assume HBO will be re-playing it for a while.  Watch out for it if you haven't seen it.

Phenomenal directing and acting from Sean Penn, his little brother, Christopher Walken, and Mary Stuart Masterson.

Edited by Nextmanup

Letterkenny spinoff "Shoresy" finally dropped on Hulu, 2 weeks after Canada got it on crave.  Watched E1, didn't blow me away, I guess I was expecting more like letterkenny.  But I follow a podcast that recaps each show so I'm not going to binge this one. I need to hear the recap to see what I'm in for 

13 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Star Wars: Andor teaser trailer out now

I've enjoyed most of their stuff.  This one, both before and after the trailer, does absolutely nothing for me.  That movie was very good on its own.  We didn't need any more story from any of those characters.

11 minutes ago, shrader said:

I've enjoyed most of their stuff.  This one, both before and after the trailer, does absolutely nothing for me.  That movie was very good on its own.  We didn't need any more story from any of those characters.

I'm feeling the same.  I'll probably watch the first episode or two and go from there.  

9 hours ago, The Poojer said:

Letterkenny spinoff "Shoresy" finally dropped on Hulu, 2 weeks after Canada got it on crave.  Watched E1, didn't blow me away, I guess I was expecting more like letterkenny.  But I follow a podcast that recaps each show so I'm not going to binge this one. I need to hear the recap to see what I'm in for 

Just finished episode 6 and sure it had some funny moments but it fell short of my expectations. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/26/2022 at 1:06 PM, Nextmanup said:

By the same token, now that we are in the era of "Super TV" meaning shows that are ongoing, but every bit as well done as feature films, I find your standard feature film to be pathetically too short...depending on what it is.

I'm thinking of films that try to tackle a big scope like "Gettysburg".  A feature film for that type of subject matter is just wrong.  You could it so much better, and give the subject so much more justice, if that is a limited (8 or 10 part?) series, or even a full blown series with a full season or 2.

I can't imagine not having to make serious artistic concessions to get any film down to a 90 minute to 120 minute limit.

Gettysburg is also a frequent “what if” for me (coincidentally, reading “Cain at Gettysburg” right now). Other than the Little Round Top scene, the movie has pre-90s TV movie production values. A missed opportunity. The book (Killer Angles) would make a great six-seven hour limited series like Band of Brothers. 

The problem of using civil war reenactors is too many are old and clearly not in “civil war” shape. They also don’t want to harm their equipment so they die gently. 

2 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

Gettysburg is also a frequent “what if” for me (coincidentally, reading “Cain at Gettysburg” right now). Other than the Little Round Top scene, the movie has pre-90s TV movie production values. A missed opportunity. The book (Killer Angles) would make a great six-seven hour limited series like Band of Brothers. 

The problem of using civil war reenactors is too many are old and clearly not in “civil war” shape. They also don’t want to harm their equipment so they die gently. 

Yeah, the big "Gettysburg" they did with Martin Sheen is old school TV.  I.E., bad.

The acting was pretty solid though.  I guess they scored points for actually filming in Gettysburg.

And it's very true about these re-enactor types being, disproportionately, fat! 

Nothing is more hilarious or "historically incorrect" than seeing a "German" soldier with all the gear and Stahlhelm but 50 pounds overweight.  And clean.  And seemingly not exhausted.

The Real Deal:

world-war-ii-a-german-soldier-about-to-t

The Re-enactor type:

6398572.jpg

f8b636337e35cf44404ac232847d9942.gif

Edited by Nextmanup

5 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Huge fan of Star Wars here,  but I wonder if Disney paused for a second when considering recent events and the tone of the early Obi Wan scenes where Jedi teachers and students are getting shot at... 🙁

I know that series and Better Call Saul were filmed some time ago.  But the last episode of Saul was extremely difficult to watch after what has happened recently.

• Dislike 1

We're enjoying the new season of "Stranger Things" on Netflix.  The premise of the season is hilarious because it takes all of the paranoia surrounding D&D in the 1980s, and combines this human-killing demon with a perceived possibility that -- a bunch of kids who were playing D&D actually conjured it.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/28/2022 at 2:41 PM, Rockpile233 said:

I really enjoyed Tokyo Vice on HBO. Finished season 1 today. 

I have never heard of this, but I'm reading about it now.  Did you stream the series on HBO MAX?

It looks like it never actually aired on HBO television and it is not available through on demand.

28 minutes ago, TheCockSportif said:

We're enjoying the new season of "Stranger Things" on Netflix.  The premise of the season is hilarious because it takes all of the paranoia surrounding D&D in the 1980s, and combines this human-killing demon with a perceived possibility that -- a bunch of kids who were playing D&D actually conjured it.

I am about to get started with this new season and will probably come back here to comment!  I'm glad you gave it a good review.  

37 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

I'm watching Barry on HBO Max, it's pretty interesting.  Very dark, some funny moments, gotta suspend reality while watching it, but definitely worth checking out 

I had to look up "Barry" though the title rang a bell.  Oh yes, the series with Henry Winkler!  I have caught several episodes of this here and there and agree it's a solid show, despite probably not being super popular.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/26/2022 at 7:13 PM, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Vikings Valhalla is great!! If a fan of the 1st Vikings series, you will love it. 

Finally finished up the show a few weeks ago....very enjoyable, and they certainly left it open for a second season.

On 2/2/2022 at 8:49 AM, May Day 10 said:

Finished the Ozark episodes last night.

Ill watch the last 7 episodes to see how it wraps up, but this first 7 episodes were absurd.

The second seven episodes were much better than the first seven for sure...a satisfying ending, but an unfortunately true ending in line with how the world works.

On 2/7/2022 at 7:35 AM, Canadian Bills Fan said:

New episodes of Wentworth are out. Its an amazing show

Loved Wentworth!!

Watched all the seasons last summer...great cast, great acting...loved it!

Joan "the freak" Ferguson has to be one of my favorite TV characters....a chilling mix of Walter White and Hannibal Lecter(minus the people eating...however, you wouldn't be surprised if she did!!)

On 2/7/2022 at 9:04 AM, The Poojer said:

despite Bea and Franky being total smoke shows!

Agreed, but don't forget about Allie!!

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I have never heard of this, but I'm reading about it now.  Did you stream the series on HBO MAX?

It looks like it never actually aired on HBO television and it is not available through on demand.

I am about to get started with this new season and will probably come back here to comment!  I'm glad you gave it a good review.  

I had to look up "Barry" though the title rang a bell.  Oh yes, the series with Henry Winkler!  I have caught several episodes of this here and there and agree it's a solid show, despite probably not being super popular.

Yes it was HBO Max should have clarified. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Rockpile233 said:

Yes it was HBO Max should have clarified. 

I looked into this and yes, it appears that is the only way to watch. 

I'm going to watch episode 1 tonight!  The trailer and intro at Youtube looked good!

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, TheCockSportif said:

I’m two episodes in and the new season is DARK 😳.   I love the contrast between the absolute sheezyness and the shear horror.  I’m excited to see where this goes.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I’m two episodes in and the new season is DARK 😳.   I love the contrast between the absolute sheezyness and the shear horror.  I’m excited to see where this goes.

Just saw the fourth episode last night, and it gets darker still.  And you're absolutely right about the contrast.

• Like (+1) 1