Notable Nexflix / Amazon / Premium Channel Series & Movies

Heitz

I watched the Japanese film "DEPARTURES" (mentioned upthread) last night.  Good movie that I would give a solid recommendation to.  Gives you some insight into modern Japanese culture.

It's up and available for free in its entirety right now at Youtube, which is where I watched it.

On 9/30/2021 at 11:35 PM, transplantbillsfan said:

I finally did the Apple TV free trial just to start watching Ted Lasso. Loving it!

I'm actually thinking about keeping Apple TV for a month just to try the other originals like Schmigadoon, Foundation, and Lisey's Story.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Apple Originals?

For All Mankind (alternate reality of moon landing and what ifs) and Mythic Quest (comedy with Mac from It's always Sunny) are really good.  Foundation looks great but I haven't seen yet..  

I just watched Maid, starring Margaret Qualley and her mom Andi McDowell.  It's a 10 episode series and it friggin gripped me.  It's a very powerful story dealing with domestic violence against women and those women's struggles to break the cycle.  Highly recommend it, and it's not completely a downer, there are some really happy moments along the way

• Like (+1) 1

"Four Hours at the Capitol" on HBO is a good documentary worth watching.

Has tons of footage that the news did not show.

After watching the documentary, it seems like a miracle the whole thing did not turn into a gunfight with hundreds and hundreds of deaths.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 10/6/2021 at 1:10 PM, Rockpile233 said:

There are so many good movies out of South Korea. 

The Man from Nowhere

Burning

I Saw The Devil

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance

Oldboy

These are just a few, great content from Korea if you don’t mind subtitles.

Haven't watched Burning, but the rest...oh man. Great list. I'll add Mother, The Chaser, and New World.

• Thank you (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2021 at 12:09 PM, stuvian said:

gone bonkers for Midnight Diner on Netflix

I have to really thank you for recommending this.  I did not expect it to be a foreign diner but that made it that much better.  After about the third episode, I had to watch one after another.  Took me a week to do through them all.  I will miss it.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2021 at 1:48 PM, DD4Bills said:

Started watching Locke & Key on Netflix. Part supernatural mystery, part family drama. A few episodes in, and liking it so far. Based on a graphic novel/comic series by Joe Hill (Stephen King's son)

My S/O just finished all of this show and had some good things to say about it.

I think she enjoyed it overall and would give it a solid thumbs up.

On 11/18/2021 at 11:57 AM, Greybeard said:

I have to really thank you for recommending this.  I did not expect it to be a foreign diner but that made it that much better.  After about the third episode, I had to watch one after another.  Took me a week to do through them all.  I will miss it.

I just looked into this show.  I didn't realize it played in Tokyo...I will check this out tonight and probably quickly fall in love.

Thanks for mentioning.

I had no desire to watch the new "in season" version of Hard Knocks on HBO, but happened to catch part of the episode that featured the Bills game. As much as I hated that game, I gotta say that I love Frank Reich. There was a scene where he was eating dinner the night before the game with Bruce Smith and Steve Tasker, and what he said about the talk he was going to give his team that night was maybe the greatest bit of Hard Knocks I've ever seen. Frank gets it, knows what matters and what doesn't, and comes across as a genuine guy. Hard Knocks in general...meh. Frank Reich on Hard Knocks? A+

Anyone check out Foundation on Apple+?

I have read a lot of Asimov short story collections but never any of the source material for this show. I'm a big fan of sci-fi so this is on my radar but still not sure if I should give it the time as reviews seem to be a little mixed on it.

I'm curious if anyone has any insight to it on here.

8 hours ago, Metal Man said:

Anyone check out Foundation on Apple+?

I have read a lot of Asimov short story collections but never any of the source material for this show. I'm a big fan of sci-fi so this is on my radar but still not sure if I should give it the time as reviews seem to be a little mixed on it.

I'm curious if anyone has any insight to it on here.

It's on my "To Be Watched" list, haven't started it yet. 

• Like (+1) 1