Some thoughts about the Bills and the team's future

jahnyc

Some quick thoughts:

1.  It was good to hear Tony Romo talk about how well coached the Bills are and how McDermott formulated a strong defensive plan against Brady, requiring Brady to go through his progressions to find an open receiver.  I really don't think the was just saying this, and I have been impressed with Romo's insights during the season.

2.  Romo pointed out the lack of a pass rush and how much more effective the defensive game plan would have been with one.  I expect that we will use one of our first round picks on a DT or a DE, assuming we do not trade our picks to move up for a QB.  Specifically, I could see the Bills drafting a pass rushing DE with their first pick in the draft.

3.  Yes, this team may be well coached, but the Bills have no depth and need to re-stock the overall talent after losing a lot of players in the offseason (and even during the season with the trade of Dareus).  We can have our disagreements about whether certain players that are no longer with the team would have been been significant contributors this season, but we lost, among others,  Woods, Watkins, Gillislee, Dareus, Gilmore, Robey, Darby, Goodwin, Zack Brown.  This is a lot of talent.  Maybe there were not a fit for what McDermott and Bean want to do, but the team lacks overall talent.  Amazing to me that we could finish 9-7 if we defeat the Dolphins with the current roster.

4.  The Bills need a quality starting QB badly.  I like Taylor, but we need to be much more effective with our passing offense to be able to compete with the top teams, and Taylor will never develop into the type of QB that will get us there.

5.  Even though we need a QB, we also need our top four picks next year to re-stock our talent.  For this reason, I hope we go after Cousins.  He has had a solid year with a team lacking a top RB or WR.  I think he would do well in Buffalo, although I doubt he would sign here as a FA.

6.  Needs for next year will include DL, LB, CB, OT, OG, RB and WR.  That is a lot.  I believe P. Brown and Gaines are FAs.

7.  I was impressed how Benjamin gutted it out today.  I look forward to him being healthy next year and excited to see him play when he is healthy.  He is a much better value than Watkins would have been if we had not traded Watkins and exercised his fifth year option.  I think Benjamin will be well worth the third round pick we used to trade for him.

8. I hope McDermott will be a bit less conservative next year with his 4th and short yardage calls.

9.  Will be interesting to see if any of our coaches are fired/replaced this offseason.  

10.  Really need a strong draft to keep the momentum going.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

trust the process.  to me they seem right on track.  got rid of the dead weight or guys who were leaving in FA anyway.   found some young talent, built a secondary in one year.   O Line looks to be in good shape.   drafted 4 starters.  all good

Edited by 8-8 Forever?

26 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

Some quick thoughts:

1.  It was good to hear Tony Romo talk about how well coached the Bills are and how McDermott formulated a strong defensive plan against Brady, requiring Brady to go through his progressions to find an open receiver.  I really don't think the was just saying this, and I have been impressed with Romo's insights during the season. Agree we focus on a decision and act like it decided the game. He's learning first year head coach

2.  Romo pointed out the lack of a pass rush and how much more effective the defensive game plan would have been with one.  I expect that we will use one of our first round picks on a DT or a DE, assuming we do not trade our picks to move up for a QB.  Specifically, I could see the Bills drafting a pass rushing DE with their first pick in the draft. Lack of DT depth, no one dominating force

3.  Yes, this team may be well coached, but the Bills have no depth and need to re-stock the overall talent after losing a lot of players in the offseason (and even during the season with the trade of Dareus).  We can have our disagreements about whether certain players that are no longer with the team would have been been significant contributors this season, but we lost, among others,  Woods, Watkins, Gillislee, Dareus, Gilmore, Robey, Darby, Goodwin, Zack Brown.  This is a lot of talent.  Maybe there were not a fit for what McDermott and Bean want to do, but the team lacks overall talent.  Amazing to me that we could finish 9-7 if we defeat the Dolphins with the current roster. This "lot" of talent wasnt close to good enough

4.  The Bills need a quality starting QB badly.  I like Taylor, but we need to be much more effective with our passing offense to be able to compete with the top teams, and Taylor will never develop into the type of QB that will get us there. Not a Tyrod hater but not a good qb.....guys open 2 3 steps misses them ...guys open hes off target...terrible footwork....takes the check down then we blame the play call --its the qb 

5.  Even though we need a QB, we also need our top four picks next year to re-stock our talent.  For this reason, I hope we go after Cousins.  He has had a solid year with a team lacking a top RB or WR.  I think he would do well in Buffalo, although I doubt he would sign here as a FA. Cousins is 340 yds between the 30's and 13 points...will pile it up on the bad teams. Look at his red zone numbers they stink and why they skins dont win

6.  Needs for next year will include DL, LB, CB, OT, OG, RB and WR.  That is a lot.  I believe P. Brown and Gaines are FAs.Gaines hurt alot still resign him Brown see ya

7.  I was impressed how Benjamin gutted it out today.  I look forward to him being healthy next year and excited to see him play when he is healthy.  He is a much better value than Watkins would have been if we had not traded Watkins and exercised his fifth year option.  I think Benjamin will be well worth the third round pick we used to trade for him. /For a third round pick hes a steal if he had a complimentary guy to work with and a qb

8. I hope McDermott will be a bit less conservative next year with his 4th and short yardage calls. Do we have a money call on forth down? Wood gets over powered often in short yardage

9.  Will be interesting to see if any of our coaches are fired/replaced this offseason.  NO reason to change people want Dennison out because our QB isnt good have one nfl caliber wr in Benjamin (briefly) our right side o line is a mess and we blame play calling

25 minutes ago, 8-8 Forever? said:

trust the process.  to me they seem right on track.  got rid of the dead weight or guys who were leaving in FA anyway.   found some young talent, built a secondary in one year.   O Line looks to be in good shape.   drafted 4 starters.  all good

"Dead weight" but all of those players have been major contributors to their current team, all while making the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, Jasovon said:

Time to bribe the refs basically. Double whatever Kraft is paying them.

Its not bribery, it’s them being encouraged to keep the marquee teams on top.  The leauge wants teams like the Patriots and Steelers to be on top.  Gotta keep those popular teams on TV.   It’s about money.

1 hour ago, jahnyc said:

Some quick thoughts:

1.  It was good to hear Tony Romo talk about how well coached the Bills are and how McDermott formulated a strong defensive plan against Brady, requiring Brady to go through his progressions to find an open receiver.  I really don't think the was just saying this, and I have been impressed with Romo's insights during the season.

2.  Romo pointed out the lack of a pass rush and how much more effective the defensive game plan would have been with one.  I expect that we will use one of our first round picks on a DT or a DE, assuming we do not trade our picks to move up for a QB.  Specifically, I could see the Bills drafting a pass rushing DE with their first pick in the draft.

3.  Yes, this team may be well coached, but the Bills have no depth and need to re-stock the overall talent after losing a lot of players in the offseason (and even during the season with the trade of Dareus).  We can have our disagreements about whether certain players that are no longer with the team would have been been significant contributors this season, but we lost, among others,  Woods, Watkins, Gillislee, Dareus, Gilmore, Robey, Darby, Goodwin, Zack Brown.  This is a lot of talent.  Maybe there were not a fit for what McDermott and Bean want to do, but the team lacks overall talent.  Amazing to me that we could finish 9-7 if we defeat the Dolphins with the current roster.

4.  The Bills need a quality starting QB badly.  I like Taylor, but we need to be much more effective with our passing offense to be able to compete with the top teams, and Taylor will never develop into the type of QB that will get us there.

5.  Even though we need a QB, we also need our top four picks next year to re-stock our talent.  For this reason, I hope we go after Cousins.  He has had a solid year with a team lacking a top RB or WR.  I think he would do well in Buffalo, although I doubt he would sign here as a FA.

6.  Needs for next year will include DL, LB, CB, OT, OG, RB and WR.  That is a lot.  I believe P. Brown and Gaines are FAs.

7.  I was impressed how Benjamin gutted it out today.  I look forward to him being healthy next year and excited to see him play when he is healthy.  He is a much better value than Watkins would have been if we had not traded Watkins and exercised his fifth year option.  I think Benjamin will be well worth the third round pick we used to trade for him.

8. I hope McDermott will be a bit less conservative next year with his 4th and short yardage calls.

9.  Will be interesting to see if any of our coaches are fired/replaced this offseason.  

Pretty much agree with all of these. Especially going after a quality free agent QB, putting your hope in any first-year QB is a big gamble.

Need to get real help on the d-line, with this style of defense four people have to put pressure, and our four+ can not.

A healthy Benjamin will be a big plus, Jones HAS to develop, and another speed WR is needed.

And like every other team in the league, help is need on the O-line; but, if Gleen comes back either he or Dawkins goes to the right side, that will be a big help

29 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Our entire front 7 is terrible 

Let Kyle retire 

No one has stepped up to replace Dareus

Hughes and Alexander have disappeared

Shaq can't rush the qb

Do we spend it all on a qb or use FA to fill several front 7 positions?

Someone sounds like a blast to hang out with... one of those glass half full BUT polluted water types!

2 hours ago, 8-8 Forever? said:

O line in good shape? Im not sure Glenn plays another down. Ducasse and Mills are awful. Our lines on both sides are pretty bad. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jahnyc said:

Some quick thoughts:

Yes, Romo has been impressive with his analysis & insights. He's really helped shed some light on Tyrod's shortcomings, as well as explaining what we do both good & bad on the field.

We do need a DT AND a DE opposite of Hughes. I'd rather us trade up for a QB, but if we can find one in FA then I'm totally fine with either of these as our first pick.

Don't forget we also lost Ragland. Regardless of how ticked I get after seeing our team's play on the field, I'm still impressed with what we've done with such a limited roster. 

I like Taylor as a person, but as a QB I've seen enough. He's mediocre at best. We're always at the bottom of the league in passing offense, and when the defense isn't gifting us tons of turnovers or dominating the game, we don't win. His inability to ever win games when we go down at any point in the 4th quarter is what really does him in for me. With anyone else, you feel being down by a FG is not that bad and something that can definitely be overcome, but not with TT. It also stifles our playcalling since execution is so bad, and all 3 OC's that we've had have to work with a handicapped playbook knowing TT can't do what you need him to do. And when the gameplan against him is "make him play QB," that just shows he's not cut out for the position.

I agree that we need to restock the talent on this team. 

I'm not a huge fan of Cousins, but he'd indeed be an upgrade over what we have. I also doubt he'd come here unless we threw him an insane contract, but it would free up the draft for other needs which is still an improvement over what we have now.

I'd go 1. QB (if not addressed in FA), 2) DT, 3) DE, 4) RT, 5) CB 6) G, and 7) WR. We can probably get a decent WR in FA as well. If anything, depth is needed as injuries have plagued us throughout the season.

When healthy, and with a full offseason, he will be a huge asset. If we get a QB that can recognize matchups & throw touch passes in the endzone consistently, Benjamin will thrive. He's there to bring in those "up for grabs" passes, and to be a size problem for DBs.

Our offense has been awful on 4th down. I think we're something like 2 out of 12 on the year. That's just awful. I think that's where the reservation comes from. 

I hope not. This year was supposed to be a failure, and most fans resigned to thinking it was a "tank" year anyway. The fact they did more than that & with less, means we shouldn't tear them down for failing to live up to NEW expectations. Rex & Whaley did a number on this team. Judging them off of anything this year is a bit unfair.

100% agree. Whaley's drafts have been terrible, and we've retained almost none of the talent. Good teams keep their picks & have rosters consisting mostly of their own drafted players. Last year we had the lowest number of drafted talent on our roster. Hopefully this will change with this staff.

2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Its not bribery, it’s them being encouraged to keep the marquee teams on top.  The leauge wants teams like the Patriots and Steelers to be on top.  Gotta keep those popular teams on TV.   It’s about money.

Don't forget the cowgirls. Americas team. It seems they are in prime time every week. 

52 minutes ago, Best Player Available said:

Don't forget the cowgirls. Americas team. It seems they are in prime time every week. 

Yup.  And I can’t wait to see if the NFL brass manages to arrange for the Giants to get the best QB prospect in the draft.

The Bills are 2 for 15 on 4th down I hope they never go for it again.

I was screaming at my TV to kick the FG on Sunday.

Remember when the line could run block last year?  The biggest change other than bad Vlad is Wood at center.

I thought Groy did a better job.