Would you trade the Bills 2 first round picks to the 49ers for Garoppalo?

The 9 Isles

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Need more evidence that Jimmy will stay with SF?  Here it is.

Highly doubtful he leaves San Fran.  only case would be if he was Franchise Tagged.  which also appears to be highly unlikely.  They have the cap space and there is mutual interest.  I do believe San Fran will hold both of our numbers 1 picks.  i think Buffalo trades up with them to draft a QB.

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I find it kind of funny that people are ok trading 2 first round picks for an unproven rookie...but not a young QB who not only was schooled by Brady and BB early, but also had very good early success so far as a starter, including going 3-0 with a winless team despite only getting a couple weeks to learn the system and get to know his receivers...who is top guy is none other than Marquise Goodwin, someone most this board said couldn't play in the NFL.  

ZERO percent chance Jimmy is available for our 2 first rounders.  But if he was, we should trade them without hesitation and run to the phone to accept.  Jimmy is a substantially better prospect as a future franchise QB than any draft pick in this draft because he has already shown well early and had the benefit of learning behind to of the GOATs as well.  That has more value than an unknown commodity. 

You are almost always "safer" signing players who have experience and a track record in the NFL over a rookie coming out of college. With the latter, you never can be sure how thing will turn out. Garapollo, Bortles, Alex Smith, Sam Bradford, whoever, you know to virtual certainty what you're getting whereas Darnold, Mayfield, Rosen, even with all their talent, their success and their acclaim, are shots in the dark.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

Highly doubtful he leaves San Fran.  only case would be if he was Franchise Tagged.  which also appears to be highly unlikely.  They have the cap space and there is mutual interest.  I do believe San Fran will hold both of our numbers 1 picks.  i think Buffalo trades up with them to draft a QB.

Agreed he's going nowhere, but I think if we trade up it will be to the Colts' pick assuming it stays at #3 overall. 

6 hours ago, ProcessTheTrust said:

In order to command that price, he would have to show with the remaining games he is indeed the real deal. And if that's the case, why on earth would they trade him away and take their chances on a rookie? I get the sentiment that they could add more pieces but with a sure thing QB, you then add pieces. Just not even close to reality on this one.

Right. Sounds like another Rob Johnson trade.

6 hours ago, ProcessTheTrust said:

In order to command that price, he would have to show with the remaining games he is indeed the real deal. And if that's the case, why on earth would they trade him away and take their chances on a rookie? I get the sentiment that they could add more pieces but with a sure thing QB, you then add pieces. Just not even close to reality on this one.

Right. Sounds like another Rob Johnson trade.

6 hours ago, Lfod said:

If I was a fan of the Patriots I wouldn't have liked trading him. You need a guy to pass on the torch. As a Bills fan I applaud it. Realistically you have to be thinking about grooming his successor and Jimmy G has the look and feel of it. 

Obviously the smartest man on the planet didn't think he was good enough.

I'm far from sold on Jimmy. He's had one good game for whiners so far.  Very well could be another Rob Johnson. 

Maybe if he puts up big numbers and they beat Mr. Big Stuff/ Poz and he rest of the Jaguar D?

• Like (+1) 1

The bills organization just doesn't do stuff like that.

I'm guessing, they  draft a rb, wr or de high and go for 

a 3rd round leftover qb, just cant see anything else

happening. I just fear this team is going to stay

forever in a loop of endless running focused

offense.

Teams don't give up franchise QBs unless they believe that franchise QB is hurt or otherwise compromised.   Occasionally, they might get lucky enough to have an older franchise QB and a younger prospect, and might let the older one go.   San Diego did that with Brees vs Rivers, and I think they made a mistake; Rivers never plays clutch in big games.  Green Bay did that with Favre vs Rodgers, and they hit the proverbial jackpot.  SF did that with Smith vs Kaepernick and crashed and burned.

NE has made a fortune in draft picks trading their backup QBs because teams seem to continue to believe that NE finds "diamonds in the rough" because they found Brady in the 6th round.  The truth is that they got lucky and won the lottery.  None of the QBs the Pats have drafted since Brady have been close to being franchise QBs although Matt Cassel had a decent career.  If Garoppolo was so good, why didn't NE keep him and let Brady leave?  For that reason alone, I wouldn't have traded for Garoppolo in the first place, and if San Fran now wanted to trade Garoppolo after trading for him and re-signing him, I wouldn't go near him because I would think that they know that he's a dud.

7 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

He is also an UFA at the end of the year so for the scenario to work they need to sign and trade him. Also after the way he has performed there is no chance in hades they are letting him go.

Nice to have that leverage for a Franchise QB. This should be an interesting contract situation. It’s not like Luck who showcased his skills for years. I’m not saying he’s Rob Johnson, but it’s been just a few games. The guy will get a killer deal! 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, ALF said:

Garoppolo will be due a big contract after this season or a tag.

If Cousins wants be be with his old coach a trade of QBs might be possible

...Jimmy G>Cousins period.....BUT....I hope Kyle wins out and they get Cousins....Jimmy G is a UFA, signs with Buffalo to show up his former boss and former QB mentor as Bflo takes the AFCE in 2018......an old fart can dream, right??.............

5 hours ago, yungmack said:

You are almost always "safer" signing players who have experience and a track record in the NFL over a rookie coming out of college. With the latter, you never can be sure how thing will turn out. Garapollo, Bortles, Alex Smith, Sam Bradford, whoever, you know to virtual certainty what you're getting whereas Darnold, Mayfield, Rosen, even with all their talent, their success and their acclaim, are shots in the dark.

Exactly...we are obviously going to be taking one of those rookies, as we absolutely should, if we don't bring in some via FA or trade that can anchor the QB position.  The only thing that is 10000000% certain is that it won't be Jimmy G as there is no chance in hell the 49ers are trading him which is why I don't get these threads or how some have been posting in other that the niners might just be show casing Jimmy for a trade.  

Of course there have been some Cousins rumored interest, if we said signed a guy like Cousins then we obviously wouldn't be drafting a QB early this year.  But outside of Cousins, I don't know if there is anyone else realistic they could bring in that would keep them from drafting a QB in the first 2 rounds.  

This is a joke, right? Two 1st round picks?! If we're giving all that away, let's go for a potentially elite QB. We already have a 'pretty good' QB. That would be an absolutely insane move IMO. Same for Cousins. Both of these guys are better than Taylor, but not by much. We need to aim higher.

Edited by GreggTX
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Albwan said:

The bills organization just doesn't do stuff like that.

I'm guessing, they  draft a rb, wr or de high and go for 

a 3rd round leftover qb, just cant see anything else

happening. I just fear this team is going to stay

forever in a loop of endless running focused

offense.

What do you base this assumption on? Clearly Mr. Beane hasn't run a draft yet, but the Panthers drafted Cam 1st overall when he was there. Has anyone currently at OBD said anything to make you think they won't? McD? Beane? Pegula? Anyone?

i Had no idea that Gimmy G is 3-0 with an avg of 330 yards per game  as a niner  

I think the 49’ers just got a deal of the century and for second round pick ,

Yes I would give up two first round picks for him