Bills do worse in 2nd matchup vs the Patriots

Jerry Jabber

While I'd love to see the Bills beat the Patriots at Foxboro in a meaningful game and one in which the Patriots starters play the entire game, the odds of that happening are not good. Since 2001, the Bills have fared better in the first divisional matchup against the Patriots than in the second game.

Here are the scores from the first divisional games against the Patriots since 2001: 11-21; 7-38; 31-0 (Bills win); 17-31; 16-21; 17-19; 7-38; 10-20; 24-25; 30-38; 34-31 (W); 28-52; 21-23; 22-37; 32-40; 16-0 (W). In that time span, the Patriots scored 434 points compared to 323 for the Bills, leaving a 111 point difference. 

Here are the scores from the second divisional games against the Patriots since 2001: 9-12; 17-27; 0-31; 6-29; 7-35; 6-28; 10-56; 0-13; 10-17; 3-34; 21-49; 31-37; 20-34; 17-9 (W); 13-20; 25-41. In that time span, the Patriots scored 472 points (38 more than the first divisional games) compared to 195 for the Bills (128 points less), leaving a 277 point difference (166 greater than the first divisional games). Part of the problem in the past when it came to the second divisional game vs the Patriots, the Bills coaches/players did not alter their offensive and defensive signals which made it easier for the Patriots to pick up. I hope McDermott and his coaches are smart enough to change things up for this game. 

I hope history does not repeat itself and the Bills get the win on Sunday, but past history has shown the second game against the Patriots have been worse for the Bills. 

Nice work.

Given the disparity between our 1st half and 2nd half play, as well as between our 1st and 2nd games against the Jets, with both indicating a worse Bills product on the field in the 2nd showing, I tend to think McDermott as of now is not a great adjustment maker. 

Regardless, let's break the cycle. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Nice work.

Given the disparity between our 1st half and 2nd half play, as well as between our 1st and 2nd games against the Jets, with both indicating a worse Bills product on the field in the 2nd showing, I tend to think McDermott as of now is not a great adjustment maker. 

Thanks!

You're right about McDermott and how the Bills looked against the Jets in the second matchup. It makes me wonder how the Bills will do against the Dolphins in two weeks (hopefully not a repeat of the Steelers game from 2004). 

1 minute ago, TigerJ said:

There's never been an Sean McDermott coached Bills team before this year.

You're missing the point. The Patriots are obviously doing things much better against the Bills in the second divisional matchup. Whether that is because the Patriots coaches are that much smarter than the Bills coaches; the Bills coaches are not changing things up when it comes to the second matchup, combination of both or there's much more to it. 

59 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Nice work.

I think Dennison is the issue.  

58 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

There's never been an Sean McDermott coached Bills team before this year.

That's true, let's just hope the Jets game isn't an indication of how his team performs in a rematch.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Means absolutely nothing on Sunday.

This is correct. That's why they play the games out. Sooner or later we will defeat Brady in a meaningful game. This may just be that Sunday.

Also, would be interesting to see not how the Bills do in 2nd matchups against NE, but how NE does in the 2nd matchup. Not only against the Dolphins and Jets, but they see the Steelers, Ravens, Colts and many other AFC teams once during the regular season and the elite teams once during post season. Pretty certain they dominate those 2nd matchups as well.

Edited by KelsaysLunchbox

24 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I think Dennison is the issue.  

I would disagree to an extent. The games Buffalo has won in the 2nd half they scaled back their playbook considerably and were fine just running clock out in the game. Now I would not do that, but McD has been conservative to start with and IMO they feel their best chance is less risk the better (like I said would not do that). I think Dennison has been hit or miss all season and I would be fine if he leaves although I would say the parts he is working with and injuries have had a bit of a role.

I am interested to see with Pats and Fins if the Jets game was just a blub for rnd 2 or if it really is an issue of adjustments.

25 minutes ago, McBean said:

Different coaches and almost entirely different players. That’s going to make this data inaccurate.

16 years of data says otherwise. How many different coaches, players and schemes were there since 2001 and the results were still the same (lopsided in the second game)?