Packers Shutdown Aaron Rodgers for the Season by Placing Him on IR

26CornerBlitz

For those who didn't read the article:  Apparently NFL rules state that if a player has been activated from IR, he cannot be placed back on IR for the same injury.  If he is, the same rule specifies that the player be released from his contract and becomes a free agent.  A player can only be put on IR twice in the same season if it is for a different injury.  A number of teams have apparently accused the Packers of violating that rule.  Aaron Rodgers was place on IR a second time in the 2017 season, and there is no indication it is for a different injury that originally landed him on IR weeks ago.  My guess is the league will figure out some way to give Green Bay a harmless slap on the wrist.  There is too much history associated with the Packers and Rodgers is too important a player to let him go somewhere else to the highest bidder.

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 8:34 AM, Lenigmusx said:

I guess I don't get either please merge thread if you feel that is necessary. It was an honest mistake but please don't be uncivil for no reason. 

No problem, just get this merged with Dunkirk Don's thread.  You'll be off the hook and it will add a little more spice in that stew!

Contrary to the rule, I think the option should be to the player than since they violated the league rules in regards to the players health.

Even though that's the rule, it's hard for me to believe Rodgers wants to leave Green Bay.  Even if he becomes a free agent, he could just resign with the packers.  

On 12/24/2017 at 10:06 AM, Lenigmusx said:

We have the cap space. This move would make us an instant Super Bowl contender. Rodgers would get the plus of being able to beat up in Tom Brady twice next year.

Never going to happen, plus the worst team gets priority in claiming a player, so he would be picked up by Cleveland.

On 12/24/2017 at 9:35 AM, JMF2006 said:

Will the league punish the Pack?

I think it will be the usual forfeit a draft pick scenario.

AR is not going anywhere but on vacation and he won't be released.

I bet he has a half dozen injuries that could qualify him as out for a week or two. 

On 12/24/2017 at 9:06 AM, Lenigmusx said:

We have the cap space. This move would make us an instant Super Bowl contender. Rodgers would get the plus of being able to beat up in Tom Brady twice next year.

What makes you think that Rodgers will want to play for any other team than the Packers, even if this rather impossible situation occurs ?

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Teams IR guys for minor stuff down the stretch all the time. They aren’t forcing a team to release a HOF qb over it.

I know read my other posts

I was just stating the rule.

Green Bay clearly violated the rule. The requirement is they lose the player (to the best of my knowledge). 

However, that’s not going to happen. The NFL will not debase one of their powerhouse franchises because fan reaction would be drastic. In addition I bet Rodgers would resign with them if it happened. Lastly, the Packers will manufacture a “new” injury to circumvent the rule if it gets that far. 

2 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Crazy situation but all teams should have to follow the rules.  They nit picked when deciding Cleveland couldn't have McCarron.  They shouldn't be able to selectively enforce.  They do that ON the field enough already.

Link?