What happened to Derek Carr?

YoloinOhio

I thought he was going to be the next great franchise QB in the league. Looked like a superstar in the making. This year he’s been pretty bad. Can’t blame the offensive talent around him. Raiders spent heavy on OL, brought in Lynch, jared Cook, Coradalle Patterson in addition to Cooper and Crabtree. Their defense has been less than strong but the great QBs should overcome that. There are games where he’s been a liability. What happened? Coaching? Or he’s just not that good?

Edited by YoloinOhio

The line has been significantly worse than last year, the play calling has as well.... but Derek Carr has been bad in too many games.  I think there might be a mental hangover from the injury.  Physically he looks fine but he is seeing ghosts... he is suddenly very skittish in the pocket and the ball isn't coming out as quickly unless it is a quick hitter to a back or tight end.  He seems to have lost his confidence standing in there and throwing down the field.  

• Like (+1) 1

They have 12 takeaways this year.  Last year they had 30.   

-9 TO diff this year, vs. +16 a year ago.  Not taking care of the ball, and not taking the ball away.

Cooper coming down with the drops, and i think field position, and being behind has hindered their offense.

Edited by dneveu

3 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

ej manuel happened. they won a lot of coin flip games last year. kind of like us this year with all the big time field goals we had that gave us the edge.  they haven't done that this year. 

No pass rush.  And no takeaways.  They're just not a good defense.  It hurts carr because they're always playing catch up.

3 minutes ago, dneveu said:

No pass rush.  And no takeaways.  They're just not a good defense.  It hurts carr because they're always playing catch up.

they lost gareon conley pretty much in training camp...who was picked ahead of tre white. their second round pick played very little as well. so right there 2 starting dbs is huge. we have been pretty healthy this year. 

24 minutes ago, jr1 said:

they should've kept Musgrave 

This^. Makes no sense why they let him go. They were such a dangerous vertical passing team last year, now all their passes are short and horizontal

22 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I also wonder after he got that huge contract - will they be able to pay both Cooper and Mack? Both will want to break the bank.

I would pay Mack but not Cooper. Cooper I think is very overrated and drops a ton of passes

• Like (+1) 1

I didn’t love him in college and was surprised by his early success. I wrote it off to “what do I know?” Now I don’t know what to think...because....what do I know?  Is it the big contract? Play calling? OLIne? Teams have figured him out? Or more likely just a combination of everything? 

2 minutes ago, bouds said:

In college he was so bad against pressure, and even though he's improved other aspects since being drafted, he's still poor against pressure.  Most QBs see a drop, but he takes a nosedive and it gets ugly.

I remembered that was the knock on him and why I thought he fell to the 2nd rd 

The Raiders squad is undisciplined and selfish.  First you have that doorknob Lynch running out on the field and getting suspended.  Then you have Crabtree fighting and getting suspended.  Need to get their heads out of their butts.