What happened to Derek Carr?

YoloinOhio

7 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

A broken back, even if its just a small crack or whatever cant be really fun.   They have failed as an entire team though.  Defense had one take away for much of the season.  Tackles stink, wideouts drop balls like crazy.   Honestly, I dont think Del Rio will be long for that job.

I have never thought del rio was a good HC. Better as a DC. 

• Like (+1) 1

In the modern NFL many QB’s have been able to shine early in their careers. Guys no longer sit on the bench for years before playing. Most current franchise QB’s played very well early in their careers. This has led many of us to falsely believe that early flashes of greatness are always indicative of finding that franchise guy. How many people around here proclaimed Winston to be the next great one? At the moment, the  jury is still out on him.

The truth is that one great season isn’t enough to proclaim greatness. People are already doing the same with Watson. The list goes on and on. At the moment, no one really knows how Carr’s career will play out. 

5 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

But remember, most people on this board think this "drafting a QB" thing is SO easy!

I’d never say it’s easy, but choices such as Losman and Manuel were very inspiring. 

2 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

In the modern NFL many QB’s have been able to shine early in their careers. Guys no longer sit on the bench for years before playing. Most current franchise QB’s played very well early in their careers. This has led many of us to falsely believe that early flashes of greatness are always indicative of finding that franchise guy. How many people around here proclaimed Winston to be the next great one? At the moment, the  jury is still out on him.

The truth is that one great season isn’t enough to proclaim greatness. People are already doing the same with Watson. The list goes on and on. At the moment, no one really knows how Carr’s career will play out. 

I’d never say it’s easy, but choices such as Losman and Manuel were very inspiring. 

I feel like at least Losman and Edwards at least had potential, we just were a dumpster fire that had no business developing a rookie QB. 

Manuel? Yeah he straight-up sucked.

55 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I thought he was going to be the next great franchise QB in the league. Looked like a superstar in the making. This year he’s been pretty bad. Can’t blame the offensive talent around him. Raiders spent heavy on OL, brought in Lynch, jared Cook, Coradalle Patterson in addition to Cooper and Crabtree. Their defense has been less than strong but the great QBs should overcome that. There are games where he’s been a liability. What happened? Coaching? Or he’s just not that good?

He made some ridiculously poor decisions last night. Least of which was the dive towards the end zone at the end. But many poor passes into coverage. 

There's no reason it should matter, but couldn't help wondering how much Davis and the move to Vegas has effected the team overall. Davis seems like a pretty odd person.

6 minutes ago, Jasovon said:

Was he ever that good? One season is a small sample size and he might just be another decent but not exceptional QB like so many others. 

I don’t know but I was sold after last season. Their defense sucked then too but he was able to outscore other teams. Their passing game was scary. Maybe it is the pass protection that has changed his confidence/decision making. He just looks totally different. 

http://raiderswire.usatoday.com/2017/12/12/raiders-qb-derek-carrs-regression-under-pressure-by-the-numbers-revealed/

They say that according to PFF the line has actually been better this year than last year with its pass protection, and yet his QB rating has fallen from 70 (under pressure) to 43. 

That 26.8-point difference is the largest falloff in the NFL for any quarterback that has dropped back at least 180 times in both 2016-17. What’s even more disheartening for Raiders fans is that Carr’s issues are his alone, as his offensive line is on pace to allow four fewer hurries than they did last season, per PFF.

Carr has been under pressure just 24.5 percent of his dropbacks this season, which ranks him No. 2 in the NFL for the fewest such snaps for quarterbacks with at least 140 dropbacks this year, per PFF.

Apart from the fancy statistics, a simple review of footage shows a quarterback clearly impacted by a fractured fibula and three fractured transverse processes in his back that he has suffered within the last 12 months.

Edited by BillsFan4

Two things come to mind with Carr because I have thought the same thing that he was the next great thing:

1. Line play has regressed this year. They had a stat last night that in a clean pocket he has a like a 100 QB rating and with pressure its like 60% or lower. Last year the Raiders line dominated and was great, this year it has been an issue.

2. Knee Injury PTSD. Some guys can have injuries and comeback without missing a beat. Others our change for a bit, other for good. Watching Carr this year he has been far more skittish in the pocket and mentally he is just not reading the field the way he did last year. He still is a young QB and in general young QBs need to learn how to deal with pressure and hold in the pocket something he wasn't great at before injury. Mix in the fact he still is probably relearning his throws since injury and his mind looks to be a mess and yea he has sucked big time.

-On a smaller note Oakland has played a far tougher schedule this year. Last year they had bad JAX, TB, HOU, middling NO, middling BAL, bad IND, & a regressed SD team. This year's schedule has had far less guarantees and the one's they should've won like BUF, DEN, & WSH they didn't. In general OAK has just been a major dissapointment

• Like (+1) 1

The line, coupled with defenses knowing exactly what the offense is trying to do. I watched Sean Lee audible almost everytime Carr audibled. Its as if Lee knew the audibles. I put that on the OC. Sure run plays that your team can run well, but also if you been running a play since week one and its lost its effectiveness week 4, probably time to take it out of the rotation...

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I thought he was going to be the next great franchise QB in the league. Looked like a superstar in the making. This year he’s been pretty bad. Can’t blame the offensive talent around him. Raiders spent heavy on OL, brought in Lynch, jared Cook, Coradalle Patterson in addition to Cooper and Crabtree. Their defense has been less than strong but the great QBs should overcome that. There are games where he’s been a liability. What happened? Coaching? Or he’s just not that good?

He had had a pretty short resume of success. I think there’s a reasonable expectation of him being up and down - plus injury. Plus it seems there may be some disconnect behind the scenes.

i think he’s in the to be determined category, but the raiders had to give the deal

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t know but I was sold after last season. Their defense sucked then too but he was able to outscore other teams. Their passing game was scary. Maybe it is the pass protection that has changed his confidence/decision making. He just looks totally different. 

could be the injury, some guys don't come back the same straight away.