Zay Jones right now is a bust

Foreigner

10 hours ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Hard to catch passes that are out of bounds or knocked away by defenders.

Drops are only scored as balls that hit the receiver's hands.  And it's part of the pro game that defenders will, well, defend, and WR have to win the battle for the ball.

10 hours ago, Foreigner said:

Talking about going nowhere, 32,552 posts. Sorry, it is what it is, and if Zay Jones is your favorite

player, good luck.

I said he is a bust NOW after 14 games. Who knows how his Pro career will turn out, but after 14 games

he is not cutting it.

Words work because people assign them the same meaning.  For most football fans, "Bust" means "we know how his pro career will turn out and he will irreclaimably suck".

So if you really mean "who knows how his pro career will turn out, but his rookie campaign has sucked", you might want to choose another word

10 hours ago, Lurker said:

Moulds caught 54% of the balls targeted to him in his rookie year (only 37 throws, BTW).   Jones at 37% is just abismal...

Moulds:   https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MoulEr00.htm

Jones:  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JoneZa00.htm

To the point I made earlier, Moulds was targeted 37 times and started 5 games his rookie year, and 54 times and started 8 games his 2nd season.  Those seasons, he was #3-4 on the WR depth chart.   He was not thrust into the #1 role (because there was no one else) and who knows how he would have done if he were? 

I don't get the point of the comparison.

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Power 5 school USC vs East Carolina. 

How about we give him some development time before fragging him. Or does that ONLY apply to the QB position?

I'm not totally giving up on him, I just don't see much reason for optimism.

He looks like just a guy out there. He's not big, he's not fast, he doesn't really separate. 

Where's the upside? His skill set doesn't suggest he'll be anything more than a #3 or #4 receiver.

I don't see many starter traits. 

Edited by jrober38

Zay is not a bust yet but he obviously has to improve tremendously next year. Because this year wasn't close to being good enough, rookie or not

43 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

He has two drops. Two. Lets not make it out like he cant catch a cold. 

Now i do admit that i am concerned about making contested catches. Those have to come and i also think that is something that can be worked on. 

Get out of his own head. See Nelson Angholer (sp) 

Two drops? Who is keeping track of that statistic, his mom?

Edited by billsfan11

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Did he have a drop yesterday?

unfortunately 2 were called drops.  One was well defensed.  The idiot announcers had to point out he is the worst in the league.  I am not arguing that but they could have stated his stats over the last month in comparison. 

and I say idiot because she called Shady for a short gain on a near 2 yard LOSS 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

11 hours ago, Foreigner said:

This game could have been put away much earlier if Zay Jones, who at one time was called our #1 WR

didn't drop a throw that was on the money.

I thought I heard the announcer on the telecast say he has been targeted 60 times this year with 25 receptions,

and for anyone targeted over 50 times this year, he has the most drops of anyone in the NFL. That is 

pathetic for a 2nd round pick #37 in the 2017 draft.

You can talk all you want about Watkins, Woods or Goodwin, but they all have been more productive. 

But but but it's Tyrod's fault!

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

unfortunately 2.  One was well defensed.  The idiot announcers had to point out he is the worst in the league.  I am not arguing that but they could have stated his stats over the last month in comparison. 

I don't consider the well defensed play a drop....especially since it was knocked out by a hand.

What was the other?

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

unfortunately 2.  One was well defensed.  The idiot announcers had to point out he is the worst in the league.  I am not arguing that but they could have stated his stats over the last month in comparison. 

Lol and called Tyrod, McCoy. I believe her quote was something like: "McCoy gets out of trouble, throws it downfield, and completes it to McCoy"... lol

I'll give you this... he's probably the most disappointing rookie from this draft class. Other than that, we have a lot to be happy about looking forward at the rest of the class. Tre White, Milano, Dawkins... hopefully contributors on this team for a long time

1 hour ago, teef said:

i'm never ready to call any first year player a bust.  a lot can change.  we've seen guys right the ship after a year or two, and we've seen guys have great rookie years, only to fizzle out.  people want so bad to label as fast as they can for some reason.  

You must not remember Aaron Maybin.  Zay "Hands Like Stones" Jones

Edited by Badthingsman

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Do you mean all season long Zay only has 2 drops? Or you mean in yesterday's game alone?

All season. 

44 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Zay is not a bust yet but he obviously has to improve tremendously next year. Because this year wasn't close to being good enough, rookie or not

Two drops? Who is keeping track of that statistic, his mom?

Posted three official sites. How many you have to dispute?

35 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

And yet the official stats show zero drops hmmmm