NRC Talks Rex Ryan and What Went Wrong in Buffalo with Tyler Dunne

26CornerBlitz

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I like how he describes Rex as a reigning over confusion and no adjustments......and then concludes Rex outsmarted himself.

Yeah, that's what I was.  Rex was too smart for his own good!

I read that as him saying Rex was making things more complicated than they needed to be.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, CircleTheWagons99 said:

No, rex pushed hard for him and now he is seen as “the best option”.  If rex would have never been hired we would never have had to deal with TT.  Ill “thank” McD IF TT is still on the team next year. 

You can thank him now, because McDermott made the call to bring him back in '17. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, CircleTheWagons99 said:

Blow hard rex, and we are still stuck with HIS QB. 

Isn't it great to be able to have these guys talk to our fired blowhard head coach about our current starting QB. Sadly if Tyrod stays next year we can again next year have the Rex talk. SMH, the elf on the shelve for McD having Tyrod still here.

Who is better with Tyrod, Rex or McD? The debate continues. Remember blame everyone else because HOF QB Tyrod is never at fault.

14 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Not a surprise at all, Rex was clearly the issue. It’s not even up for debate. He set the franchise back.

No head coach is going to do well having a backup QB as the starter.

Edited by xRUSHx

25 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

This is where your agenda falls woefully short and you lose credibility. They were a top 10 DVOA and scoring offense both years that Rex was here. He was a defensive coach. That’s the side of the ball that he was responsible for. They were 28th DVOA in 2016 and 28th in 2015. If you chose to blame the top 10 offenses over the bottom 4 defenses than I don’t respect your analysis. It’s cleary not objective (or right). 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 7

34 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

Isn't it great to be able to have these guys talk to our fired blowhard head coach about our current starting QB. Sadly if Tyrod stays next year we can again next year have the Rex talk. SMH, the elf on the shelve for McD having Tyrod still here.

Who is better with Tyrod, Rex or McD? The debate continues. Remember blame everyone else because HOF QB Tyrod is never at fault.

dude. Rex sucked. Tyrod has his problems but the defense was absolutely atrocious the past two years.

44 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

Ive blamed 3 and out plenty.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

Like a scorned lover I swear to god.......was Tyrod having sex with a loved one?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You can thank him now, because McDermott made the call to bring him back in '17. 

Yeah, as i stated, he was the “best” option At the time. And a new head coach would love the chance to be the guy to turn someone like TT into a franchise guy. Seeing as it was only a 2 year show me deal makes me think McD covered himself in case it didnt pan out.  Hopefully he sees his mistake and moves on next year.  There was no choice but to keep TT just to have a Vet at QB. 

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I like how he describes Rex as a reigning over confusion and no adjustments......and then concludes Rex outsmarted himself.

It's a Zen koan. You know, like "Can an omnipotent deity create a rock that's too heavy for the deity to lift?" But in this case it's, "Can an inept coach create a game plan that's so smart that the coach himself can't understand it?"

..pathetic.....Wrecks and his twin, "Golden Corral Boy" were as big blowhards as old man Buddy........all THREE were one hit wonders....Wrecks as Ravens DC, Buddy and the Bears 46 (honorable mention to punching out Gilbride) and Rob for going through the line 4 times without stopping......gravy stains and all.......good riddance....

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is where your agenda falls woefully short and you lose credibility. They were a top 10 DVOA and scoring offense both years that Rex was here. He was a defensive coach. That’s the side of the ball that he was responsible for. They were 28th DVOA in 2016 and 28th in 2015. If you chose to blame the top 10 offenses over the bottom 4 defenses than I don’t respect your analysis. It’s cleary not objective (or right). 

Dvoa is garbage. 

3 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Dvoa is garbage. 

It’s much, much better than the alternatives. It is the most inclusive evaluation. While it isn’t perfect it is usually fairly accurate. It certainly was accurate in regards to the Bills offense vs. their defense in the Rex Ryan era. The offense was miles ahead of the defense.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s much, much better than the alternatives. It is the most inclusive evaluation. While it isn’t perfect it is usually fairly accurate. It certainly was accurate in regards to the Bills offense vs. their defense in the Rex Ryan era. The offense was miles ahead of the defense.

I hated Rex and glad he is gone.  But last year's defense wasn't as rock bottom awful as some posters wanted to suggest.  It was slightly below average.

25 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I hated Rex and glad he is gone.  But last year's defense wasn't as rock bottom awful as some posters wanted to suggest.  It was slightly below average.

...yup...just like the offense....."slightly" goes back to Clinton era, "depends on "what the definition of IS is"......SERIOUSLY?....slightly?......and to think I thought I had heard it all.....

27 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You really think we had the 28th worst defense in 2016? 19th by yards 17th by points allowed?

6 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...yup...just like the offense....."slightly" goes back to Clinton era, "depends on "what the definition of IS is"......SERIOUSLY?....slightly?......and to think I thought I had heard it all.....

How would you be rate this year's defense? Because we are giving up more yards this year than we did last year.

im glad Rex is gone but I hate how everyone's has to over exaggerated everything. The defense in 2016 was below average just like this year's.

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....nope...thought we were Schwartz like superb............

As fans our tendency is to compare particular units to previous (usually better) units, which is totally normal and understandable, but for a yearly ranking system you have to compare it against other teams in that same year. And if you do so I don't think you can conclude, at least not very easily, that the defense was that bad.

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

How would you be rate this year's defense? Because we are giving up more yards this year than we did last year.

im glad Rex is gone but I hate how everyone's has to over exaggerated everything. The defense in 2016 was below average just like this year's.

....how would I rate this year's defense?...bi-polar as in "never know which one will show up".......it was the same way when Pettine was here......one week were were the epitome of the Great China Wall and the next week we were Wikileaks.....tough to equate that to personnel which generally remains unchanged week to week (of course sans injuries)....so I ask you, are those inconsistencies a function of coaching and game planning for the opponent?......and....if your game plan is ineffective in 1st half, is it a function again of coaching to properly adjust for the2nd?....and I'll add I thought Schwartz' D was pretty damn consistent....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

I mean, off the top my my head I can give you five teams that had worse defenses than the Bills last year and I don't think it's arguable. Browns, Colts, Niners, Saints, Falcons. I'd throw in the Dolphins, Packers, and Raiders for debate. There's just no way you can stand by DVOA's 28th.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Robey-Coleman isn't saying anything we haven't already heard from other sources.  No surprises here.

But I think C.Biscuit97's  point is a good one.  Our D isn't any better this year - with McD and Frazier in charge.  What's going wrong?

I'd say our secondary is much improved as well as our run defense to a degree

10 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I mean, off the top my my head I can give you five teams that had worse defenses than the Bills last year and I don't think it's arguable. Browns, Colts, Niners, Saints, Falcons. I'd throw in the Dolphins, Packers, and Raiders for debate. There's just no way you can stand by DVOA's 28th.

Any stat that isn’t explainable in five words of less exists only for cherry picking 

15 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

As fans our tendency is to compare particular units to previous (usually better) units, which is totally normal and understandable, but for a yearly ranking system you have to compare it against other teams in that same year. And if you do so I don't think you can conclude, at least not very easily, that the defense was that bad.

...perhaps....but in year 55 of following this club, I will NEVER be solely a stats or rankings guy.....too many other factors involved.....just saying that Schwartz came in with a system in mind but did a good job in adapting to existing personnel......result?....top 5 or more importantly competitive club defensively.....if the defense can control rush and passing yards while keeping the club competitively in games, they could be ranked 15th for all I care....it's a three phase game ala offense, defense and special teams.....two performing and one stinker should win you football games.....Wrecks was a futile joke post Ravens tenure as a HC......if Schwartz was that bad, why do TBD posters say he should have been retained?...how many voted in favor of Wrecks retention?......