Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
njbuff

Who agrees with me that this should be the 2018 OL?

Recommended Posts

It should be..................

 

LT Glenn

LG Incognito

 C Groy

RG 2018 draft pick (anywhere from rounds 2-5)

RT Dawkins

 

This sounds so simple that even a caveman can do it.

 

Wood isn't the same player any more and Groy deserves his shot to be a starter as he filled admirably for Wood at the end of 2016 when would was injured.

 

Vlad and Mills could be viable backups. They are not starter material and with them on the right side, it really derails what the team can do offensively.

 

Dawkins is one of the 5 best OLmen on the team easily and should be out there.

 

Glenn is a premier LT when healthy and this team should give him a chance to get healthy for 2018 to show what he can before trading him off.

 

There are some good G prospects in this draft and the Bills should/could be able to get a solid starter anywhere from rounds 2-5.

 

FA can help bring in a back up C. Wood needs to be released, as it saves the team a little cap room in the process with Wood's declining play.

 

What do you think?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, njbuff said:

It should be..................

 

LT Glenn

LG Incognito

 C Groy

RG 2018 draft pick (anywhere from rounds 2-5)

RT Dawkins

 

This sounds so simple that even a caveman can do it.

 

Wood isn't the same player any more and Groy deserves his shot to be a starter as he filled admirably for Wood at the end of 2016 when would was injured.

 

Vlad and Mills could be viable backups. They are not starter material and with them on the right side, it really derails what the team can do offensively.

 

Dawkins is one of the 5 best OLmen on the team easily and should be out there.

 

Glenn is a premier LT when healthy and this team should give him a chance to get healthy for 2018 to show what he can before trading him off.

 

There are some good G prospects in this draft and the Bills should/could be able to get a solid starter anywhere from rounds 2-5.

 

FA can help bring in a back up C. Wood needs to be released, as it saves the team a little cap room in the process with Wood's declining play.

 

What do you think?

Why not John Miller at RG? I like everything else though. Should be starting line NOW.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree Groy needs some playing time. I’m not the biggest Wood fan but the guy has the respect of the locker room and they just extended him didn’t they? I can maybe see someone taking his job but can’t see them releasing him outright for nothing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, the skycap said:

Why not John Miller at RG? I like everything else though. Should be starting line NOW.

Why not?  Easy answer:  He is Vlad Ducasses backup.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe the reason Groy isn’t starting at guard is because he is the backup C.  If he and wood both go down, we don’t have a center.  Maybe that can change next year if we sign another center.  I’m happy with 3 starters, Glenn, Ritchie and Dawkins. Center play and RG need massive uprgrades.  What are the chances we take a tackle in the draft and kick Dawkins inside?  Didn’t he project as a guard?  Hopefully groy isn’t butthurt about never playing and wants to stick around after next season.  Ritchie will also be a FA.  Should be drafting 2 interior lineman and sign 1. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's amazing to me how undervalued Wood is.  He's just barely over 300lbs and takes on monsters in the middle.  He's been relatively healthy playing in 117 games out of 141 including breaking his leg in his rookie year.  He's blocked for some atrocious QB play and been a part of many solid running teams often when running was what the defenses knew we had to do.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Miller has as ankle problem. 

Not sure if it is the same one as last year, but I doubt he'll be on the roster next year, let alone starting.  When you are the starter and then get set aside by a journeyman, your long term outlook with the team is not very good.

 

Glenn has now become a player you can't count on and I really don't see him being on the team next year.  Too much money for too little production.

 

As for Wood, it's hard to focus on one player very much, but I'm not sure why he is a persistent whipping boy. 

Of course, he'll get pounded this week as will about anyone that lines up across from Suh.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/eric-wood/4951

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I agree Groy needs some playing time. I’m not the biggest Wood fan but the guy has the respect of the locker room and they just extended him didn’t they? I can maybe see someone taking his job but can’t see them releasing him outright for nothing 

 

Agree.  :thumbsup:   

 

Wood is a decent C so I wouldn't send him packing until the Bills have somebody better to replace him.  I'm not sure that's Groy, but they have bigger trouble spots on the OL than C. 

 

OT isn't a trouble spot at present either -- unless the Bills decide to listen to the ignorant fans who want Glenn traded because he was injured this season.  The Bills need to keep Glenn because there's no guarantee that Dawkins will continue to develop as a LT.  I believe he was drafted with the intention of playing him at RT anyways.  Most collegiate LTs don't have the quickness and agility to play LT in the pros, but they can make excellent RTs.

 

I think that the main focus on OL should G because that's where the Bills need an upgrade.  Incognito is 34, so a kid to replace him in the near future -- 2018 or 2019 -- seems almost a necessity ... except that the Bills need an upgrade at RG desperately.  At least one of the Bills picks in the first rounds needs to be used on somebody to put Vlad Ducasse on the bench permanently.  If Dennison were given his walking papers (along with his OL coach), then John Mills might become a useful RG again, but it doesn't look like he has a future with Dennison/Castro.

 

The Bills should probably take 2 OLers in 2018 ... definitely a prospect for RG within the first three rounds and either another G or a C prospect later in the draft.  Bringing in some UDFAs wouldn't be a bad idea either.  A new QB isn't going to have much success if he's running for his life instead of throwing the ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

I agree Groy needs some playing time. I’m not the biggest Wood fan but the guy has the respect of the locker room and they just extended him didn’t they? I can maybe see someone taking his job but can’t see them releasing him outright for nothing 

 

any chance Wood would get moved to G?  I agree with you.  Releasing him could be a locker room issue.   I like an OT with one of our first picks if we don't grab a QB.  OT and DT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, njbuff said:

It should be..................

 

LT Glenn

LG Incognito

 C Groy

RG 2018 draft pick (anywhere from rounds 2-5)

RT Dawkins

 

This sounds so simple that even a caveman can do it.

 

Wood isn't the same player any more and Groy deserves his shot to be a starter as he filled admirably for Wood at the end of 2016 when would was injured.

 

Vlad and Mills could be viable backups. They are not starter material and with them on the right side, it really derails what the team can do offensively.

 

Dawkins is one of the 5 best OLmen on the team easily and should be out there.

 

Glenn is a premier LT when healthy and this team should give him a chance to get healthy for 2018 to show what he can before trading him off.

 

There are some good G prospects in this draft and the Bills should/could be able to get a solid starter anywhere from rounds 2-5.

 

FA can help bring in a back up C. Wood needs to be released, as it saves the team a little cap room in the process with Wood's declining play.

 

What do you think?

 

 

...pretty good core group....Wood would be a viable backup to Groy, but will be around 6 mil to do so....don't see Vlad on the roster......Mills needs work......go back to two veteran adages I've quoted numerous times, but I think they're still accurate....GM Marv went with the "older than dirt" philosophy of "building from the ball out"........only problem was he had "spoiled beef" with Dockery, Langston, etc.......Cowher said, "THE most important UNIT on a football team is the OL......if they break down, all else fails"......these guys become a UNIT by continuity and cohesiveness.....multiple changes bump you back to square one....a TOP priority is an OL Coach.....9-Juan-Juan Castillo needs to be on the next Greyhound out...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been very critical of Wood for quite a while, since he and Levitre were brought in together. They both were manhandled by bigger stronger DTs which are what we've played against in the AFC East for a decade. For that reason, I was fine with letting Levitre go in FA. Recently, I started asking myself why I am so negative about Wood. I've concluded that as a LG in HS, I was always over matched playing at 185lbs and against guys 250 - 280. I couldn't move guys either but relied on quickness and leverage (low guys wins) to often fight to a stand still. When I got beat, usually from a bull rush, I would cut their legs out and jump up looking for them or another guy asap. I would never get pushed back into the QB! Cutting the legs in the NFL seems to be taboo unless you are a Patriot or Bronco OL. I wonder why that is? It can be very effective and slows down the rush on the next play. Anyway, I need to give the guy some slack and seeing him push cars after a game swings me over to keeping him around. I guess we need another center so Groy can play too but I find it unlikely they both get hurt on the same play. I like Glenn if he is healthy after the off season. Miller is a mystery but could rebound. Ducasse and Mills are awful and I fear RI is heading for the cliff.  I'd like to see two OL either in rounds 1-3 or a FA and one drafted.  Line play is critical to success at any level of football. 1st pick QB. No trade up, use our pick at 15-18 to take the best QB on the board. I think there will still be a top 5 QB and that the first 5 are all potentially franchise worthy. Time will tell!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, the skycap said:

Why not John Miller at RG? I like everything else though. Should be starting line NOW.

 

Problem: Glenn is milking a contract surfing the training table 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Counting on Cordy to be healthy seems like a bad plan at this point. His mysterious foot/ankle situation is mind boggling. It seems like he’s been day to day, week to week all season. Dawkins is encouraging, and much cheaper...not to mention available to actually play. I’m not a hater, but I’m frustrated for sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, the skycap said:

Why not John Miller at RG? I like everything else though. Should be starting line NOW.

 

We started John Miller for a few games, and he has been much worse than Ducasse.  That's why

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glenn missed all of 5 games and most of a 6th last year.

This year, he's only played 275 (32.2%) of offensive snaps.

 

His cap hit next year will be $14.45 mill which will put him 3rd in the league (he's 2nd this year).

 

I was elated when he was drafted, but I can't see him being around another year.  Two bad feet sounds like it is more than a sprain.  Could even be gout (1 kidney/uric acid).

I guess even an injury settlement is possible, but one way or the other his production is not keeping up with his compensation.

 

Realistically, I think we are looking at Dawkins | Incognito | Wood | FA | Mills

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Augie said:

Counting on Cordy to be healthy seems like a bad plan at this point. His mysterious foot/ankle situation is mind boggling. It seems like he’s been day to day, week to week all season. Dawkins is encouraging, and much cheaper...not to mention available to actually play. I’m not a hater, but I’m frustrated for sure. 

 

Yeah, Cordy's had some great games for us, and locking him up with a new deal made sense to me at the time, but he needs to show some serious offseason rehab and come back strong in training camp or he's a goner.   Hope we can find another Dawkins type talent in the next draft, he's going to be a pro bowler every year starting 2018 season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For some reason the Bills can not find a RT. They need to draft a RT out of college to play RT.

i also think they need an Incognito replacement. Richie started to show his age this year. I don’t think he has a lot left. 

 

Trade Glenn for a second rounder . I hate saying this but if Glenn doesn’t want to be with the Bills get what you can for him. He is a UGA guy and I am a UGA fan. I loved it when he was drafter and think he is a very solid LT. This season has been so strange in regards to his injuries. I almost feel as if we don’t know he entire story. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

 

 

...pretty good core group....Wood would be a viable backup to Groy, but will be around 6 mil to do so....don't see Vlad on the roster......Mills needs work......go back to two veteran adages I've quoted numerous times, but I think they're still accurate....GM Marv went with the "older than dirt" philosophy of "building from the ball out"........only problem was he had "spoiled beef" with Dockery, Langston, etc.......Cowher said, "THE most important UNIT on a football team is the OL......if they break down, all else fails"......these guys become a UNIT by continuity and cohesiveness.....multiple changes bump you back to square one....a TOP priority is an OL Coach.....9-Juan-Juan Castillo needs to be on the next Greyhound out...

Mills needs work?  Hopefully in another city that values turnstiles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×