Christmas song you hate the most?

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

It’s Christmas, so I prefer to focus on the songs I love. I’ll leave them out here, but leave it up to someone else to start that thread should they feel the urge. 

I was thisclose to starting that thread, but I was worried the thread police might come knocking on my door :)

With that said, too many to mention, but it starts with anything by Tony Bennett for me.

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Look past the !@#$ers and be thankful they'll basically saying: "Merry Christmas."  See the bigger meaning.  Be thankful.

Don't you know there is a "war" on Christmas out there. You want them to go into Africa & say "Let them know it's the Holiday time."  Yeah, that'll make the poor starving Ethiopian they carried out, at the start of the video, spring to her feet while our dollars come streaming in! 

No, I want to not hear that !@#$ing song again, ever.  

24 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I was thisclose to starting that thread, but I was worried the thread police might come knocking on my door :)

With that said, too many to mention, but it starts with anything by Tony Bennett for me.

Tony Bennett was da man! 

30 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

How about songs that are Christmas song but not really Christmas songs. :D

The theme song to Die Hard? 

it was a tough 1980 Christmas as a fan with his flippant “its a drag” comment on John’s murder and that awful tune catching traction on the radio. All is forgiven.

Maybe it was the real reason he was arrested in Japan just after its release.

Edited by row_33

11 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Absolutely.  I tend to think he's a little overrated in general.

Though Wham's Last Christmas I think may give it some competition 

Gugny will chime in soon. He’s a Beatles guy. 

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

Paul McCartney is probably my most favorite musician of all time.

That said ... while I don't hate this song, per se, it is WAY over produced and overly corny.  I can see why people don't like it.

Yep

11 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Absolutely.  I tend to think he's a little overrated in general.

Though Wham's Last Christmas I think may give it some competition 

Last Christmas, and Santa Baby are the worst.

If you really want to make your ears bleed, listen to Taylor Swift's version of these songs, especially Last Christmas. Her vocal range is pretty weak to begin with, and in this song she is particularly bad.

14 hours ago, row_33 said:

Fair enough.

as a soloist or Beatle as well? He blends in perfectly with John and George such that I can’t hear him distinctly in harmony, even on songs he wrote and leads. Someone described it as a perfect yeast to make the song work optimally.

I guess more solo.  The Beatles were good it's just the constant fawning of him that I don't care for

I did not read all the replys so I'm sure this one has been mentioned already, but the "all I want for Christmas" by Mariah Carey. Gets played in every single department store, grocery store and radio station 30 times a day for the last 20 years. 

10 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

Last Christmas, and Santa Baby are the worst.

If you really want to make your ears bleed, listen to Taylor Swift's version of these songs, especially Last Christmas. Her vocal range is pretty weak to begin with, and in this song she is particularly bad.

Jimmy eat world's version of last Christmas is actually great. 

4 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I did not read all the replys so I'm sure this one has been mentioned already, but the "all I want for Christmas" by Mariah Carey. Gets played in every single department store, grocery store and radio station 30 times a day for the last 20 years. 

Jimmy eat world's version of last Christmas is actually great. 

I just listened to it on Youtube.  Musically, I agree that it's a good song. But I think lyrically it's not really a Christmas song.  It's more about losing love and then finding love.   

39 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

I just listened to it on Youtube.  Musically, I agree that it's a good song. But I think lyrically it's not really a Christmas song.  It's more about losing love and then finding love.   

I agree. I was actually gonna post that the thing I love about it is that it just sounds like a regular song. It's not your typical Christmas song 

On 12/8/2017 at 8:55 PM, DC Tom said:

Seriously, these !@#$ers had to recycle a 30 year old song that sucked ass to begin with?

Those poor people - there won't be snow in Africa this Christmas-time. 

Never mind that it's in the Southern hemisphere so it's basically summer.

• Haha (+1) 1

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 10:40 PM, row_33 said:

Fair enough.

as a soloist or Beatle as well? He blends in perfectly with John and George such that I can’t hear him distinctly in harmony, even on songs he wrote and leads. Someone described it as a perfect yeast to make the song work optimally.

I love all Beatles music and am a huge Wings/McCartney solo fan.  I'm only criticizing the Christmas song.  As far as his harmonies, you should be able to pick him out in most Beatles tunes.  Check out the chorus of "I'm Only Sleeping."  Specifically, the lyrics, "keeping an eye on the world going by my window," especially the bolded lyrics.  It's a great example of his beautiful/perfect harmonizing.  But I agree ... their harmonies were phenomenal.