Rico or Hotrod?

I can not see how a new OC would want to come here and have to be pinned down on using a Taylor made system for his starting QB while developing the future QB to take over that uses the new OCs system. All the QBs have to be on the same system, the same page. 3 OCs with Tyrod and everyone one of them had to dumb down their system for him, do some people really want the new QB to be just like Tyrod? 

I am fine and fully supportive of the coaching staff staying intact.

I am also supportive of the coaching staff getting changes.

Coaching staff lays at McDs choice.

I am NOT supportive of Tyrod returning at all. Tyrod should have never been brought back this season. If you want a new era get rid of Rex's choice at QB.

Edited by xRUSHx
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

The play call in the 4th Qtr on 4th and goal was ridiculous and Dennison should be canned just for that.  Yes, I know we've seen many teams do something similar but I just don't get it.  An empty backfield and a low percentage fade pattern?  UNACCEPTABLE!!!!

You could still have a spread formation with McCoy in the backfield so the defense can't tell whether you're going to run or pass but an empty backfield made no sense on 4th and goal from the one.  They were very effective running the ball on that drive up until then.  I'd rather see an attempt to power it in instead of a fade pattern by a rookie QB to a rookie WR. I wouldn't even call that if it was Larry FItzgerald.

That one playcall was enough to say bye bye to Dennison. 

22 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

where is Mr 2009?   

hard to tell when he's posting since he's on ignore.  I usually see his agenda rants being quoted.

Did he make the Penalty Box again? 

I think he is using one of his other screen names now. I think it has the cross in it or something like that.

I don't think you need to worry about TT returning, cause if the team doesn't release him, I can almost guarantee he will be asking for a release after the way this year has gone. Outside of Bills fans, the league and other teams don't think he is horrible and he isn't looked at as being as bad as Bills fans want to make him out to be. 

I would think after watching games and now seeing both QBs play that it would be pretty obvious that the real problem is Dennison. It's not like Peterman is stepping into a game and lighting it up, his completion and yards are pretty close to what TT was putting up. That would lead me to believe there's more wrong with the offences game plan and play calling then the QB.

31 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Outside of Bills fans, the league and other teams don't think he is horrible and he isn't looked at as being as bad as Bills fans want to make him out to be. 

Which Gm told you this ?   

Cant wait to watch this storyline.     I'm thinking he gets Flynn'd at the next stop

Edited by Air it out Fitzy

10 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Do you recall a few weeks ago when Bills fans were celebrating the announcement of benching TT for Peterman? I dont recall the rest of the league thought it was a good idea and that TT was the issue.

They are fools and they are the media.    

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

And for me that is why they should not have punted all this back a year.  If they wanted to rip off the band aid of what Rex and Whales left they should have done it in year 1.  Ditch Tyrod, ditch the big contracts, take a shot on their QB of the future in the 1st and pare the team back.  They just punted the pain for a year for more kitty QB play.  It was a wrong choice.  

I hear you.

But it is a lot easier to say if you are not a season ticket holder who forked out thousands of $$ with the intent to go watch your team compete for the year.    Less painful to turn the tv off and walk away from a bad game than it is to swallow the $$.

People forget that part.    Tens of thousands of devoted fans fork out big $$ to watch them try to win - not try to lose.

The things that matter most long term for this team is how well they identify talent, how well they coach that talent and how well they manage those assets.

The single most important part is identifying the talent to begin with though.    They don't need to purposefully lose games to do that.   They just need to identify the best talent available to them and go get it.

5 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

It will take bigger balls to keep Dennison at this point.

McDermott is a high character guy.     It is not going to be easy to fire Dennison.    

At this point right now, I think it would be much easier for him to talk himself into reasons why Dennison should stay.

At the end of the season - the decision may be easier or may be harder depending on offensive production from here on out.

Just because a lot of fans want Dennison gone, doesn't mean the coach will do it.

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Tyrod is gone.  It's over.  Rico I am 50/50 on.  If they keep him then they need to look for a QB that fits his style and rebuild an offensive line that suits the zone stretch.  

I'm 50 /50 on Rico also. I can't decide if we should make him leave town now on foot, or if we should buy him a Greyhound ticket out of Buffalo tonight.

2 hours ago, PolishDave said:

I hear you.

But it is a lot easier to say if you are not a season ticket holder who forked out thousands of $$ with the intent to go watch your team compete for the year.    Less painful to turn the tv off and walk away from a bad game than it is to swallow the $$.

People forget that part.    Tens of thousands of devoted fans fork out big $$ to watch them try to win - not try to lose.

The things that matter most long term for this team is how well they identify talent, how well they coach that talent and how well they manage those assets.

The single most important part is identifying the talent to begin with though.    They don't need to purposefully lose games to do that.   They just need to identify the best talent available to them and go get it.

Who said anything about intentionally losing? There were two options:

1. Another load up for a run;

2. Dump some of the contracts that they think prevented them from winning.

If they were going to do number 2 there was going to be some pain. What you have had instead is another year if frustration followed by an additional year of pain. They should not have punted. They should have got the one year of dumping contracts out of the way first up.

2 hours ago, PolishDave said:

McDermott is a high character guy.     It is not going to be easy to fire Dennison.    

At this point right now, I think it would be much easier for him to talk himself into reasons why Dennison should stay.

At the end of the season - the decision may be easier or may be harder depending on offensive production from here on out.

Just because a lot of fans want Dennison gone, doesn't mean the coach will do it.

McDermott might want to go back and review a few of the games we lost where the defense played well enough to give them a shot to win, starting with the Carolina and Cincy games.  That could make the decision easier.

10 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

It will take bigger balls to keep Dennison at this point.

I would love to see Ken Dorsey here as the OC. 

I believe in up and comers trying to make a name for themselves, delivering cutting edge stuff. Being creative and learning from what works in the league.

plus he’s played the position!

Dennison just seems like a guy who goes through the motions, has his stuff and that’s as far as it goes.

Go get guys who are hungry. Yes that means coaches too. Dennison is boring. It could just be Tyrod though.

If I was OC I wouldn’t have changed a single thing from the run game the past 2 years. 

• Like (+1) 1

The Post Season spot is gone. 

Pissed away losing to the JETS.  

Only a miracle could save the season.   

Baltimore has to lose 3 of 4 to fall out of their spot.  

Then there’s the LA Chargers. 

We lose out not evaluating who they want to keep.  Maybe even a mix of Nate and Joe.  

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

The Post Season spot is gone. 

Pissed away losing to the JETS.  

Only a miracle could save the season.   

Baltimore has to lose 3 of 4 to fall out of their spot.  

Then there’s the LA Chargers. 

We lose out not evaluating who they want to keep.  Maybe even a mix of Nate and Joe.  

We just have to win out,,,,,,,4 victories.....thats all.....wait....nevermind....season is over......gonna take up dog sledding on sundays now...

• Haha (+1) 1

Taylor is a certain as good next season......but the frightening thing here is i can see MCDofus keeping dennison around....i cant take this guy.....i see now why broncos fan had a field day when this guy got canned!

3 minutes ago, JPP said:

Taylor is a certain as good next season......but the frightening thing here is i can see MCDofus keeping dennison around....i cant take this guy.....i see now why broncos fan had a field day when this guy got canned!

This is why you switch now and see if it is Dennisons play calling over the next 4 weeks.  

5 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

This is why you switch now and see if it is Dennisons play calling over the next 4 weeks.  

my bad....mis spell.....meant to say good as gone....not good...lol

4 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I dont korect anyone’s spelling (unless they are known perfectionists) 

its not hard to get the meaning of the message

brain fried from work today....but i think at this point and i mentioned it the other day...just rotate peterman/webb.....throw crap at the wall without over analyzing it and see what sticks....imo

I think Tyrod is gone. That's pretty clear. Dennison I think comes back with a rookie QB and a vet QB. I also think we bring in Mike McCoy as a "passing game consultant" or some such title. If after 4-6 weeks the offense isn't better Dennison would be canned then and McCoy promoted.

10 minutes ago, JPP said:

brain fried from work today....but i think at this point and i mentioned it the other day...just rotate peterman/webb.....throw crap at the wall without over analyzing it and see what sticks....imo

4 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Exactly.   Keep us entertained. 

Bills would be better off going and signing Brad Kaaya off of Detroit's practice squad and seeing if he can dink and dunk accurately enough to move chains.    Or go after Teddy Bridgewater if they intend to keep Dennison as the OC.

God help us.

3 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

McDermott might want to go back and review a few of the games we lost where the defense played well enough to give them a shot to win, starting with the Carolina and Cincy games.  That could make the decision easier.

This is a good post. If the Bills were sitting at 8-4 right now like they should be would anyone ? Rico or TT?

But we are sitting 6-6 and those 2 games fall squarely on TT's shoulders with 125 and 166 yards passing.

I think we all knew the Carolina and Cincy game would come back to bite us in the ass.

Edited by Real McCoy

1 hour ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

I would love to see Ken Dorsey here as the OC. 

I believe in up and comers trying to make a name for themselves, delivering cutting edge stuff. Being creative and learning from what works in the league.

plus he’s played the position!

Dennison just seems like a guy who goes through the motions, has his stuff and that’s as far as it goes.

Go get guys who are hungry. Yes that means coaches too. Dennison is boring. It could just be Tyrod though.

If I was OC I wouldn’t have changed a single thing from the run game the past 2 years. 

Couldn't agree more. I want to see a young buck as our OC.

I know that the anti-Tyrod sentiment here is growing but I'll throw this out...

Rico would be easier to replace than Tyrod.  Even Tyrod's limited skill-set is a rare commodity.  There's just aren't enough good QBs in the world.

So maybe McD fires Rico, hires McC and asks McC if he can make his offense work with Tyrod (and still draft a QB).

Just now, hondo in seattle said:

I know that the anti-Tyrod sentiment here is growing but I'll throw this out...

Rico would be easier to replace than Tyrod.  Even Tyrod's limited skill-set is a rare commodity.  There's just aren't enough good QBs in the world.

So maybe McD fires Rico, hires McC and asks McC if he can make his offense work with Tyrod (and still draft a QB).

Sure he would, but that does not address the elephant in the room.  

TT doesn't have what we neeed in Buffalo.  

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

In a perfect world, we'd replace both TT and Rico.  

But given the difficulty of finding quality QBs, I wonder if another OC could build a workable offense around TT.

Rico apparently needs not just a better QB - but a different kind of QB - to make his offense work.  How long we'll we have to wait to find the right guy?  

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.  Rico can't do that.

19 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

There's maybe 4-5 QBs in the world that have what the fans think the Bills need at QB (Brady, Manning, Brees)

Another way that Brady and the Pats have screwed over Bills fans is that because we have watched them for a very long time dominate, it's set the standard of what everyone expects in what's really needed so much higher that's it's very unlikely to be attained. How many thought Wentz and Goff wouldn't be franchise guys when they were drafted, Watson would have been passed on by some. Every draft you could go back to and see people say that certain qbs weren't good enough and that we would have to wait til next year til someone else was available as the top guy. There was a time when Kiser was someone people were saying would be the top QB picked on this last draft

On 12/4/2017 at 6:10 AM, Maynard said:

They both should be gone, but I’m not sure McD will get rid of Rico after one year.

Head Coaches seem to be given 2-3 years to turn things around.  

McD has already had one year.  He can't waste another.  If he's not confident in his OC, he needs to replace Dennison now.  

Tyrod for sure.

Dennison is 50/50.

They obviously have a mold/style in mind in the offense they want to run in that Mike McCoy, Greg Olson, Brad Childress, and Rick Dennison all run a similar base offense.  If they can back-channel Mike McCoy now that he is fired and McDermott convinces him to come here, I think they fire Dennison.  However, if I'm Mike McCoy, I am waiting to see who else gets fired and what jobs come open because he could potentially be looking at the following options based on who is getting fired as HCs and OCs:

Bears OC - gets to coach a young, talented QB in Trubisky

Raiders OC - they might be firing Todd Downing after one season; gets to coach Carr; gets to coach against both the Chargers and Broncos

Browns OC - who knows what is happening here, but if they clean house, he's looking at coaching a #1 ovr QB with a big money investments in the OL, and a potential star WR.

Colts OC- Andrew Luck

Giants OC - same as Browns but without the solid OL

Bucs OC - Jamies Winston, Mike Evans

Bills OC - no QB and we are not guaranteed getting a top QB in this draft when McCoy has to decide on a job.

And to those saying that he took the Denver job with no QBs there - Lynch was a 1st round pick last year, Semien looked competent last year, and everyone thought Romo was going there.

I just don't see him or anyone taking this job with no solid answer/prospect at the QB position.  Greg Olson took a QB coach job on the Rams staff rather than come to Buffalo as OC.  It is obvious that nothing is going to happen with this offense until there is some clarity on the QB position, which leads me to believe that Dennison will be here another year as he runs the style of offense that McDermott wants.  I don't particularly think that McDermott is tied to Dennison, but at the moment there might not be any better option.

Long story short: Get a QB.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

In a perfect world, we'd replace both TT and Rico.  

But given the difficulty of finding quality QBs, I wonder if another OC could build a workable offense around TT.

Rico apparently needs not just a better QB - but a different kind of QB - to make his offense work.  How long we'll we have to wait to find the right guy?  

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.  Rico can't do that.

In a perfect world.  Yes.  

I gave up all semblance of trying to believe in Taylor after the failed to lead the Bills to a win in Jersey.   I'm done with him.  Finito. 

McD wants his team his way.  TT does not fit.  Rico has tries to adjust to TT and it got worse in return.