Speculation: is this McCoy's last year with the Bills?

PromoTheRobot

2 hours ago, PolishDave said:

Yeah,  who is running the ball in Carolina right now?   Wouldn't surprise me if Beane goes and gets that guy and cuts/trades McCoy.  :o

Another plodder in Jonathan Stewart.  I'm not sure McCaffrey can be an every down back but Stewart is nearing the end also at 30 yrs old in his 10th season.

I agree that the Bills may move on from McCoy after this season, mainly because of his salary.  There may be only a few players left from the end of the 2016 on the team to start the 2018 season as I also think it's likely that Kyle Williams, Glenn, Clay, Alexander, Miller, Hughes and Taylor could all be gone.

Just looking at his contract it wouldn't make sense to cut him until 2019 to save significant cap room (about 6.5 million).  We'd save 3.7 million if we cut him after this season, but he's too talented to justify cutting him even though he hits the dreaded RB age of 30.

Edited by Doc Brown

1 hour ago, Dr.Sack said:

He’s not what he was, but is probably the best runner in the AFC East. I don’t think he’s tough enough physically sometimes where it would be better to lower the helmet and slam it forward for 2-3 yards. Too many negative plays, and dancing and not enough one cut and consistent gains. I’d prefer a back that always gets 3-4 yards per carry. Over a guy who gets stuffed twice for every decent gain. 

A Fred Jackson type that is always falling forward.

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I'm going to predict the Bills will move on from Shady next year. In fact I'll go as far to predict a RB pick in the Top 2 rounds. I think he's finally showing his age. He's not shot. He just isn't cut on dime anymore.

He stays on the team in 2018 but to a reduced workload.  Then after that, you could be spot on. He'd have 1 year left on his contract

8 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I'm going to predict the Bills will move on from Shady next year. In fact I'll go as far to predict a RB pick in the Top 2 rounds. I think he's finally showing his age. He's not shot. He just isn't cut on dime anymore.

Shot?? He's been great all year, can't be awesome every game.

8 hours ago, PolishDave said:

Yeah,  who is running the ball in Carolina right now?   Wouldn't surprise me if Beane goes and gets that guy and cuts/trades McCoy.  :o

Cool, I'm big fan of McCaffrey.

11 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

How many times has drafting a RB in the first round been the tried on this team. It is idiotic and the positional galue isnt there. Of course unless your Buffalo how love taking 1st round RBs

BS. Ezekiel Elliot changed the Cowboys, Adrian Peterson the Vikings and arguably the BEST BILLS PLAYER EVER was drafted in the FIRST round. Just because we missed on Spiller, it doesn't mean you never draft that position high again. By that logic, let's never draft a QB high again because we missed on Losman or never take a LT again because Mike Williams was a bust. What an idiotic and irrational way of thinking.

the same poster saw shady in preseason and said this was the best he'd ever looked and no doubt he could play til he's 32.  i saw shady hop a tackler and get 10 yards. the chiefs were focused on stopping him all game.  shady is on pace for over 1600 all purpose yards. he gets another year. 

14 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I concur....Shady has done well in Buffalo, but his time is up. As for high draft pick, that might be the case, but it also truly depends on FA and what they need to give up to get their QB. Given what the team needs, I wouldn't be surprised to see them stay put on both picks, take BPA but really try and get their QB in the 1st round.

EDIT: I think his time is up mostly due to cost. I think the team sees the money saved, as well as Tyrod's money saved, and believe in FA they can spend on Offensive line, Draft QB and RB at significantly reduced cost while upgrading the Offensive / Defensive lines.

In other words, I don't think they go from 25 to 2 overall and I don't think they pick a QB in the 20s when the top 4 have already been Drated, ala Losman in 2004....if they have a mid-round pick, then I can see them moving into top 5 to get their QB because they have the Draft capital this year, while not needing to give up a TON....

Most likely scenario....Bills Draft 20th, take a guy like Josh Allen or Ryan Finley who falls to them, then take a DT/DE with their second 1st round pick. Then get the with the second 2nd round pick or their current only 3rd. 

Really does depend on FA regarding D-line and O-line....but if they're Drafting a QB, and I think they definitely should, then they should also go spend most of their FA money on Offensive linemen to protect said QB and use the rest to get a great MLB...use Draft for remaining positions. 

Edited by BigBuff423

14 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

We need to fix the offensive line first then we’ll see the Shady of old. Mills and Ducasse are pathetic. 

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

No need to move on from him and please do not waste a high draft pick on a RB.  Talk about sins of the past.

Outside of QB, I cannot think of one position that can immediately impact a team as much as RB. WR can make a bigger impact but it's contingent on a QB. Unless a QB somehow falls into our laps, our best chance at making the playoffs is a high power running team. No need to cut Shady though, I'd draft a RB high and spread the work load, that's our best bet.

Please don’t get stuck on the idea that having a strong running game is the path to the promised land.  The Bills have tried this for a long time.  Maybe they’ve done so because they can’t identify a real QB.  I would rather see them spend multiple high picks on more than one QB  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Please don’t get stuck on the idea that having a strong running game is the path to the promised land.  The Bills have tried this for a long time.  Maybe they’ve done so because they can’t identify a real QB.  I would rather see them spend multiple high picks on more than one QB  

That's exactly what it is though, if we can't identify a QB, the only alternative is a dominant running game, I just don't see any way around that fact. Shady is going on 30, I'd ride him for another year but target a dominant option behind him.