A measured take on McDermott

57 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Wow, overreact much? Severe fallout?

He played a rookie QB for a half. It will become a footnote.

It's not as simple as saying, "he played a rookie QB for a half." The Bills were in a playoff spot, the Bills have the longest playoff drought in pro sports, the performance of said rookie was the worst performance ever by a QB.

The decision was ridiculed nationally before the game, and after the game the coverage has been rightfully brutal...the Bills instantly reverted to the laughing stock of pro sports.

And the decision will become a footnote, as I expect McD to become. This team has quit on this coach after 10 games, maybe McD can bring in all new players and succeed but I wouldn't bet on it. Again, how can you have any faith in a coach who misread the situation so severely? Peterman's performance should be raising red flags about McD's ability to gauge anything related to football....and I haven't even discussed his historically bad D, which is supposed to be his strong suit.

McD is here for the foreseeable future, so I hope he is capable of turning things around. But when you consider all the evidence (team quitting, worst D I have ever seen, thinking Peterman is even an option), I just don't see it. We shall see...

The man's decision to start Nate may of been wrong buy I applaud him to have the balls to make a move to try and provide a spark..in the last 3 weeks everyone has decided to suck and I'm glad...we need to suck to get into the top 5..one of our problems, our problem is  weve been mediocre and just missing the top flight and in this league 

Edited by BILLriant
  • Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Also good to see Cooper Kupp fumble on the 1......  Watch the highlight and Watkins wide open in the endzone in the same line of sight and Goff made the wrong throw.  And then dropped an important pass in the 4th.....  Again he has a better receiver in Watkins he ignores.....

It's always someone other than Sammy when it comes to Sammy.

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

It's always someone other than Sammy when it comes to Sammy.

Again watch it.......  Sammy wide open & Goff looks at Kupp.  Important 3rd down and he drops it.  Not saying he isn't a good receiver, however can't carry Watkins jockstrap at this point.

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Again watch it.......  Sammy wide open & Goff looks at Kupp.  Important 3rd down and he drops it.  Not saying he isn't a good receiver, however can't carry Watkins jockstrap at this point.

24 rec, 408 yards, 4 TD.

With numbers like those, i'm sure YOU could carry sammy's jockstrap at this point.

16 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

24 rec, 408 yards, 4 TD.

With numbers like those, i'm sure YOU could carry sammy's jockstrap at this point.

I think this is a pretty good thread (even if I disagree with aspects of your argument); thanks. I disagree with you about Watkins pretty strongly, but I can see where you're coming from. For what it's worth, I do expect his numbers to go up now that Woods is hurt, however. He has looked very explosive on the all-22s lately even if the ball doesn't come his way. I also think that he's the sort of receiver that is great for a qb who shifts into sandlot mode on a play, which TT does more than most QBs. He's simply the best athlete on the field in those situations. The Rams offense is very, very structured, and Goff's throws are truly dictated by coverage. 

Edited by dave mcbride

I’m already seeing signs from this coaching staff that tells me they won’t get us anywhere either. Keep blabbing about process and wanting to win now and in the future. It’s all just meaningless coach speak. The results speak for themselves. Is anyone going to pretend like we have a clear direction at this point? 

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I’m already seeing signs from this coaching staff that tells me they won’t get us anywhere either. Keep blabbing about process and wanting to win now and in the future. It’s all just meaningless coach speak. The results speak for themselves. Is anyone going to pretend like we have a clear direction at this point? 

Benching your starter while occupying a Wild Card spot in favor of a rookie who clearly isn't ready to play and basically forfeiting a pivotal AFC matchup is all part of the #Process.  McD works in mysterious ways.  Its sooooooo great to FINALLY have a plan!!

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, joesixpack said:

I don't know.  If you arent part of the solution you are part of the problem.  Hyde got beat kike 7 times yesterday in coverage and neither is tackling worth a damn in run defense.  It feels like Byrd all over again.  Get a few picks and you are God but no one pays attention to all the bad plays made. 

Absolutely, and anyone tho thinks otherwise needs their head examined.

4 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Lots of hair on fire posting about McDermott around here today, so I figured I'd add some balance.

Let's start with the personnel moves, good and bad and see if we can dispel the myth that people let go or traded away are going to the playoffs BECAUSE of said people:

1) Watkins: 24 rec, 408 yards, 4 TD on an expiring contract. This move, while universally hated by a certain group of posters is proving to be a good one in my opinion. The guy would have wanted Julio Jones money, while proving to be completely not worth such money.

2) Woods: 47 rec, 703 yards, 4 TD. Unlike watkins, woods is ACTUALLY contributing to his team's success. Letting this guy go was in my opinion a questionable move.  He's a complete player and seems like the kind of guy that McDermott would want. Heart, and football intelligence.

3) Gilmore: 27 tackles, 0 sacks, 1 INT. Letting this clown go was a good idea. He's hardly contributing to his team's success.

4) Darby: 2 games played, 9 tackles 1 INT. Not really a key contributor for the Eagles, getting something for him was a good move.

5) Dareus: This one seems to really get peoples' panties twisted. Too early to say what the impact is. IF they're able to pick up star latouleleleleleile or whatever his name is, I don't think this will have a long-term negative impact on the team.

6) Gillislee: AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

Now for incoming guys:

1) Benjamin: this one's a headscratcher for me. If the goal is a teardown to the studs, this move makes no sense.

2) Matthews: Honestly think this was just a throwaway, trading for a pick and an expiring contact for a guy in darby who, as noted above, really hasn't done squat this year.

3) Gaines: I like the guy, but he's brittle.

4) Poyer: resounding success.

5) Hyde: see poyer.

In all, the personnel moves, while controversial, seem to be a net positive. That being said, I think this team lost its sense of direction by winning some flukey games early. What this team needed was a complete insurance arson job, and to gain one of or THE best QB in the draft. I think these guys in charge need time to see what they can do, and I think it's utterly irresponsible to be calling for their heads in YEAR ONE.

Great post :thumbsup:

I have two fundamental problems with McDermott so far and both have nothing to do with actual football:

1.  An unwavering, near religious belief in whatever the "Process" is - as if it can't be wrong, as if wisdom from experiences can't improve said "Process."  When he said that the "process will not change" in yesterday's presser - was a red flag for me as a leader.   It's too simplistic.  

2.  Talk of working hard but little talk of working smarter, wiser.  Focusing on working hard in its isolation is the stonecutter approach - again, a near religious belief that hammering away  at said stone will eventually get you to where you want to go and that the sum of effort is all that matters.  To be successful, IMO, you need the effort plus the intelligence to gin positive results.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Lots of hair on fire posting about McDermott around here today, so I figured I'd add some balance.

Let's start with the personnel moves, good and bad and see if we can dispel the myth that people let go or traded away are going to the playoffs BECAUSE of said people:

1) Watkins: 24 rec, 408 yards, 4 TD on an expiring contract. This move, while universally hated by a certain group of posters is proving to be a good one in my opinion. The guy would have wanted Julio Jones money, while proving to be completely not worth such money.

2) Woods: 47 rec, 703 yards, 4 TD. Unlike watkins, woods is ACTUALLY contributing to his team's success. Letting this guy go was in my opinion a questionable move.  He's a complete player and seems like the kind of guy that McDermott would want. Heart, and football intelligence.

3) Gilmore: 27 tackles, 0 sacks, 1 INT. Letting this clown go was a good idea. He's hardly contributing to his team's success.

4) Darby: 2 games played, 9 tackles 1 INT. Not really a key contributor for the Eagles, getting something for him was a good move.

5) Dareus: This one seems to really get peoples' panties twisted. Too early to say what the impact is. IF they're able to pick up star latouleleleleleile or whatever his name is, I don't think this will have a long-term negative impact on the team.

6) Gillislee: AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

Now for incoming guys:

1) Benjamin: this one's a headscratcher for me. If the goal is a teardown to the studs, this move makes no sense.

2) Matthews: Honestly think this was just a throwaway, trading for a pick and an expiring contact for a guy in darby who, as noted above, really hasn't done squat this year.

3) Gaines: I like the guy, but he's brittle.

4) Poyer: resounding success.

5) Hyde: see poyer.

In all, the personnel moves, while controversial, seem to be a net positive. That being said, I think this team lost its sense of direction by winning some flukey games early. What this team needed was a complete insurance arson job, and to gain one of or THE best QB in the draft. I think these guys in charge need time to see what they can do, and I think it's utterly irresponsible to be calling for their heads in YEAR ONE.

I understand we had a transition from Whaley to Beane with McD running things in-between but some of these moves are GM moves.  What about McD as a coach?  Still too early to say IMO.    Why we hired a first time ever head coach and then let him run a draft and then hire a GM is just wacky. 

He started out well prepared and showed some signs of innovation and some ability to motivate players.  Then the lowly Jets exposed them and we are all of a sudden in the worst 3 game tailspin in franchise history  (and that is really saying something).  His decision to start a rookie QB when hold the 6th and final playoff seed was dubious at best ... kind of smacks of arrogance.   The mid season Dareus trade is also proving to be a very bad move if they were serious about not tanking. 

After an impressive start the defense is much worse than the year before.  The offense is much worse than the year before. The overall talent purge has weakened the bench to laughable levels  (see WR, RB, Right side of OL, TE, DL, and LB).    He is on the cusp of losing grip of a 5-5 team after last weeks debacle.   He needs to get his team to play a respectable road game at KC.  I can see that we could finish 5-11, its that bad right now.   Hopefully he can turn this around. 

Longer term his only option is to get rid of a few more aged and pre-McD players and then start over.    Hopefully Bean can find some low cost free agents that can help and that we also find a few starters in the draft ... including a QB.   Tall order for a rookie GM and a rookie coach indeed.  Once they strip the team further you are looking at a 3 year rebuild, assuming you found a QB,  while working for an owner with an itchy trigger finger and a desperate fan base.   Knowing the Bills and the Pegulas, it is unlikely McD will get to that 4th year. 

Honestly Joe, this isn't probably your most reasonable post on this board.  You make some solid points.

but given your very anti-Tyrod and Whaley stances, you seem like you are just hoping you are right.  These guys have bungled a bunch of decisions and now we're just hoping they get it right with blind faith. 

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Defensively their tackling and willingness to take on blocks is evidence that the defense quit.........or perhaps more appropriately are making fatigue aided business decisions.

Shady hasn't quit.......that's a dumb example.......he doesn't have to push 300 pound lineman or tackle players running unobstructed toward him.    He has personal statistical goals as he chases the HOF.

so Shady can run while the offensive line is "quitting."   Try having context before calling an example "dumb".  The Defense is sub-par, and many of the "impact" players are journeymen or old.  They haven't quit, they just are not good.  

18 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Honestly Joe, this isn't probably your most reasonable post on this board.  You make some solid points.

but given your very anti-Tyrod and Whaley stances, you seem like you are just hoping you are right.  These guys have bungled a bunch of decisions and now we're just hoping they get it right with blind faith. 

it isn't :blink:

And come on man. Whaley was TERRIBLE.

Edited by joesixpack

Rico is a poor OC and the choice of hiring Castillo for OL is a disaster on the scale of what we saw from Peterman yesterday. Even as bad as it went for Peterman, Castillo's OL completely let him down and gave him zero chance of succeeding...

25 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

so Shady can run while the offensive line is "quitting."   Try having context before calling an example "dumb".  The Defense is sub-par, and many of the "impact" players are journeymen or old.  They haven't quit, they just are not good.  

The last two players that will quit on this team are Tyrod and McCoy.    McCoy is trying to build a HOF resume.......Tyrod is trying to assure he gets another starting job somewhere.  

Neither need be invested in McDermott.

• Like (+1) 2

@joesixpack I don't disagree with your points there, but those moves are more attributable to Beane than McDermott aren't they? If you're going to evaluate McDermott you need to look at the on-the-field product and it seems like the game is overwhelming him right now. The move from Tyrod to Peterman is clearly an attempt to see if they had a gamer at QB and I give them credit for actually trying to be more than mediocre but I think we can agree that gamble backfired. What concerns me way more than the Offense is the Defense's complete inability to stop anyone 3 games in a row. I dunno how you chalk that up to anything other than poor coaching and scheme. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ndirish1978 said:

@joesixpack I don't disagree with your points there, but those moves are more attributable to Beane than McDermott aren't they? If you're going to evaluate McDermott you need to look at the on-the-field product and it seems like the game is overwhelming him right now. The move from Tyrod to Peterman is clearly an attempt to see if they had a gamer at QB and I give them credit for actually trying to be more than mediocre but I think we can agree that gamble backfired. What concerns me way more than the Offense is the Defense's complete inability to stop anyone 3 games in a row. I dunno how you chalk that up to anything other than poor coaching and scheme. 

McDermott runs this team, of that I have zero doubt.