Tyrod 9/17 for 53 yards through 3 quarters. FRANCHISE QB!

BigDingus

I've never "hated" Tyrod. I wish him nothing but the best. I hope week in and week out he'll recognize his mistakes and at least TRY to make some plays. But time & time again he shows who he cannot change. No matter how far we fall behind, he won't even attempt to throw beyond the 1st down marker on 3rd and long. How many times can he walk to the sideline after going 3 & out and not think "man, I should've at least tried to get a 1st down"? I rather risk turnovers than see the offense trotted out for 3 plays, go nowhere, and punt...

He's a nice guy, I hope he's successful in every aspect of his life, and would thank him for simply being a Bill. Outside of that, he's not a good NFL QB, and we need to move on. I have no fantasies that Peterman is suddenly going to lead us to victory, but we're not going to win many more games, if any (unless it's against the Dolphins) for the remainder of the year, so better to see what we have now going into the draft.

17 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

This is gonna be a fun week.

Don't worry, it looks like this team is in the beginning of a nosedive that's going to be difficult to recover from with 2 straight road games coming up.

Drafting our 1st round QB replacement looks all the more likely today.

Alas, guess we're just the same ole Bills.

Are you finally ready to admit TT is not a franchise QB or whatever tier you place him on? 

Edited by Real McCoy

49 minutes ago, BuffaloFan68 said:

Anyone that thinks Tyrod is a franchise QB, clearly doesn't know what a good QB looks like.   The fact that this coaching staff keeps rolling Tyrod, Tolbert & Ducasse out there as starters is a clear indicator that they don't know what they're doing. JMHO

At least we should get a better draft pick.  

It's alarming.

Bad enough they passed on Watson for Tre White.

• Like (+1) 1

Blaming the defense is deflection.  Blaming the quality of the WR corps is deflection.  We just got Benjamin and he was hardly targeted at all for most of the game.  Tyrod is not a viable NFL starter, pure and simple.  The line on him is he seems to play not to lose.  Playing scared will never work in this league.

Just now, Chicken Boo said:

It's alarming.

Bad enough they passed on Watson for Tre White.

Even with all these picks, I'm still scared these guys don't know how to evaluate talent. If they think Tyrod is a good QB while passing on guys like Watson, it makes you wonder what will be different next year.... And remember the previous draft, how everyone said Goff & Wentz were taken too high because it was a terrible QB class? "Wait until next draft!" was repeated over & over. Then this year, same thing "Bad QB class, wait until next year!" Now, the consensus has changed once more, as people are saying the QB's in this draft are "overrated" and to wait until next year AGAIN.

Fans (which includes me), seem to always dismiss each draft's QB's year in and year out. Guys like Russell Wilson & Prescott get drafted later, and even Derek Carr get skipped over by "professionals." 

9 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't understand why Taylor wouldn't throw to his new toy KB? In fact his one INT came when he was checking down to play it safe. 

Because Benjamin isn’t the kind of WR who is going to be blatantly open all the time for Tyrod to keep throwing it his way.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

If only he could play defense by rushing the passer and shutting down the run.  Shame.

That the game got out of hand only makes his stat line all the more baffling. Qbs rack up trash yards in a route. I would’ve rather seen 250 yards and 3 ints trying to get in the game again than whatever we just watched. Down 30 playing ball control keep it close and try not to make a mistake football is a joke 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

That the game got out of hand only makes his stat line all the more baffling. Qbs rack up trash yards in a route. I would’ve rather seen 250 yards and 3 ints trying to get in the game again than whatever we just watched. Down 30 playing ball control keep it close and try not to make a mistake football is a joke 

PREACH.

Trent-like.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Let me know when the Bills stop getting dominated on the LOS. 

Just now, jmc12290 said:

PREACH.

Trent-like.

When he took the sack on 3rd and 15 down 30 points instead of heaving it down field for whatever may happen— that was his Kyle Orton slide short of the sticks, his Edwards run out of bounds on 4th moment...

he showed no fire or or situational awareness. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Tyrod was actually protected pretty decently today. Teams are just stacking the box against the run because we don’t throw it downfield well

Edited by Bangarang

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

When he took the sack on 3rd and 15 down 30 points instead of heaving it down field for whatever may happen— that was his Kyle Orton slide short of the sticks, his Edwards run out of bounds on 4th moment...

he showed no fire or or situational awareness. 

He's gutless dude.  He's been that way his whole career here.  I hate that kind of QBing.  The last time TT went balls to the wall and took chances was that NE game in 2015 where he threw 3 picks, and 3 TD's and almost brought us back.  For him, that's a stark rarity.

Edited by jmc12290
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, jmc12290 said:

There were plenty of clean pockets where the OL held their own in pass pro.  

Also, at some point you have to just decide you are going to play the game and throw the ball. If you aren’t when down several scores in the second half, I don’t know what to say 

7 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Tyrod was actually protected pretty decently today. Teams are just stacking the box against the run because we don’t throw it downfield well

They don't respect him as a QB, can't win when your QB can't do his job

Edited by xRUSHx

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Let me know when Tyrod doesn't check down on 3rd & long.

It goes both ways. They only gave up 2 sacks. Opponents are stacking the box because they KNOW Taylor won't even throw to open receivers, much less hit them. He's got 1 on 1 coverage, with guys like 6'3 Jordan Matthews, 6'5 Kelvin Benjamin, 6'3 Charles Clay who are all much bigger than the DB's covering them the majority of the time. They're also athletic guys with very good hands. But throwing the ball in their general vicinity is nearly an impossible task for Taylor. Clay is just lucky he's also an outlet pass who Taylor can dump off to, otherwise he'd be ignored like the rest of the group.

Even guys like Thompson get open and get seperation on the defender pretty often...Problem is Taylor hangs the ball too long or outright overthrows the pass instead. It is so, so, sooooo rare to see Tyrod hit anyone in stride that has beaten their man. Unless the DB has fallen over (and even then it's 50/50), Taylor isn't going to give these guys a fair opportunity to ever make plays for us.

And one thing is absolutely certain - you cannot win a game, EVER, by throwing 5-8 yards short of the 1st down marker on 3rd and long. No matter what you want to say about anyone else, THAT is unacceptable and happens repeatedly throughout every game. If you won't even try to get a 1st down, it's impossible to win. That cannot be debated.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Also, at some point you have to just decide you are going to play the game and throw the ball. If you aren’t when down several scores in the second half, I don’t know what to say 

Not a word of hyperbole, honestly, but to me, that show a lack of leadership.  If you're going to be "the guy" and want to be our franchsie QB, and be the man on offense, you have to do more.  Playing it safe is punting to a teammate.  It's saying, "I'm not the reason we're down, someone else make a play."  Down 24, TT should be thinking, "If I don't make a play, no one will."  That's what every franchise QB thinks.  That's why Brady, and Brees, and Big Ben, and Luck, and Cousins, and Wentz, and Stafford, and Rivers all throw way more picks than TT and have these 300-400 yard games in losses.  They make the conscious decision to go "I'm gonna make a ####ing play and try to win this game."  

It's the difference between winners and losers. Losers say "it's not MY fault we lost."  Winners say, "these guys aren't gonna do it, I guess I have to do EVERYTHING."

Edited by jmc12290
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, BigDingus said:

Let me know when Tyrod doesn't check down on 3rd & long.

It goes both ways. They only gave up 2 sacks. Opponents are stacking the box because they KNOW Taylor won't even throw to open receivers, much less hit them. He's got 1 on 1 coverage, with guys like 6'3 Jordan Matthews, 6'5 Kelvin Benjamin, 6'3 Charles Clay who are all much bigger than the DB's covering them the majority of the time. They're also athletic guys with very good hands. But throwing the ball in their general vicinity is nearly an impossible task for Taylor. Clay is just lucky he's also an outlet pass who Taylor can dump off to, otherwise he'd be ignored like the rest of the group.

Even guys like Thompson get open and get seperation on the defender pretty often...Problem is Taylor hangs the ball too long or outright overthrows the pass instead. It is so, so, sooooo rare to see Tyrod hit anyone in stride that has beaten their man. Unless the DB has fallen over (and even then it's 50/50), Taylor isn't going to give these guys a fair opportunity to ever make plays for us.

And one thing is absolutely certain - you cannot win a game, EVER, by throwing 5-8 yards short of the 1st down marker on 3rd and long. No matter what you want to say about anyone else, THAT is unacceptable and happens repeatedly throughout every game. If you won't even try to get a 1st down, it's impossible to win. That cannot be debated.

That's just nonsense. Pushing the ball beyond the sticks has to happen on some occasions and it didn't often enough today in the time the Bills had the ball today. Not the biggest issue today with the D getting run over. 

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

That's just nonsense. Pushing the ball beyond the sticks has to happen on some occasions and it didn't often enough today in the time the Bills had the ball today. Not the biggest issue today with the D getting run over. 

With a QB like Brees, Brady you do not let them on the field over and over and over again, franchise  QBs score. The offense needs to do there part and stay on the field and score/get field position. Tyrod made the day 10xs harder on our D just like he has the last 2 seasons.

Edited by xRUSHx

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

If only he could play defense by rushing the passer and shutting down the run.  Shame.

I respect you as a poster, but I disagree with you here.  If you call out the defense, you have to call out the fact that...

- Taylor made one completion to Benjamin the entire game.

- Taylor exclusively targets his TEs and RBs and completely ignores his WRs.  This allows defenses to stuff the box and even in those cases, he doesn't target his WRs.

- Taylor had plenty of time to throw today, was rarely under duress (unlike the NYJ game), and yet couldn't find the open throws.  He feels more comfortable dumping the ball off, or running with the football rather than throwing the ball downfield.

53 yards doesn't cut it, even if you are playing the 70s steel curtain defenses.  It is like the offense is playing with nine guys (or eight in the 3 WR packages).  I don't think Peterman is the answer either but Taylor certainly isn't the answer.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3rd and 11 or 12...and TT throws a 5 yards check down....again...and again...and again....and again.....one of them today resulted in a pick...so maybe, he'll stop throwing those and go for the 2 yards check down now....much safer....you know...gotta keep that TD: INT ratio looking good....nothing is more important....

I have been a pretty vocal defender of the concept that Taylor is a decent qb, but he was awful today. Anyone pointing to the defense to defend him today is essentially crusading. I am beginning to have serious doubts about him. Hopefully he can bounce back, but the schedule doesn't really get any easier.

Edited by dave mcbride