The Cap Dilemma in 2018

4 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Is 33 million before dead cap or after dead cap is taken out?  We have 18 million in dead cap next year.

$33M + yearly increase to be determined and $18M already taken out. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo30 said:

Is 33 million before dead cap or after dead cap is taken out?  We have 18 million in dead cap next year.

Which brings up the point that this isn't Jeff Littman's cash-to-the-cap Bills either.........if they sign guys to extenstions or add FA's they could heavily backload deals because they have NOBODY of note on their roster to pay big market money to for years to come thanks to a lack of blue chip young players nearing the end of rookie deals.  

With EJ and Watkins gone 3 first round picks vanished since McD arrived.......then there are Woods, Kujo, Darby and Ragland........4 second round picks that didn't/don't have to be paid..........this team is in EXTRAORDINARY cap shape going forward regardless of the dead money........and it's hard to envision them paying for top of the market free agents with McD's focus on more selfless players. 

But everyone has a process until they get punched in the mouth so we will see how not having blue-chip talent plays out long term.

After the Dareus trade the Bills were rumored to have 39 million in cap space in 2018, after the Benjamin trade they added 8 million in 2018 salary. So their cap space is likely around 30 million but also don't be surprised if they restructure some contracts or cut players. Charles Clay and Jerry Hughes come to mind as productive players who could take a restructuring and that could easily free up more cap space. 

I suspect that Kyle Williams will likely retire, he will be 35 and has a bit of an injury history. That leaves three other major free agents that are starters 1- Jordan Matthews, 2- EJ Gaines, and 3- Preston Brown. Gaines to me will likely stay, although he gets hurt I think they can get him on a modest 4-5 million dollar a year contract with a low guarantee. Matthews will command 7-8 million a year not sure if he is worth that much or not. But once again it comes down to how much the front office likes him which I think they do like him a lot. Preston Brown is a curious case, he is a decent starting LB but not one breaking the bank for. If the market for Brown is hot then I suspect he is gone. But if he can be had at the right price I think they retain him. 

The Bills will have a chunk of change to work with in free agency. Even they resign Matthews, Gaines, and Brown they could still add another starting caliber player and 1-2 depth players via free agency and then have a ton of picks to address needs and depth in the draft. 

If they are smart the Bills will continue with the fixing the Cap. And NOT spend on upper echelon UFAs. Instead will fill in again with the lower tier UFAs and 1 year contracts and let the bad contracts clear compensation 

Edited by MAJBobby

3 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

After the Dareus trade the Bills were rumored to have 39 million in cap space in 2018, after the Benjamin trade they added 8 million in 2018 salary. So their cap space is likely around 30 million but also don't be surprised if they restructure some contracts or cut players. Charles Clay and Jerry Hughes come to mind as productive players who could take a restructuring and that could easily free up more cap space. 

I suspect that Kyle Williams will likely retire, he will be 35 and has a bit of an injury history. That leaves three other major free agents that are starters 1- Jordan Matthews, 2- EJ Gaines, and 3- Preston Brown. Gaines to me will likely stay, although he gets hurt I think they can get him on a modest 4-5 million dollar a year contract with a low guarantee. Matthews will command 7-8 million a year not sure if he is worth that much or not. But once again it comes down to how much the front office likes him which I think they do like him a lot. Preston Brown is a curious case, he is a decent starting LB but not one breaking the bank for. If the market for Brown is hot then I suspect he is gone. But if he can be had at the right price I think they retain him. 

The Bills will have a chunk of change to work with in free agency. Even they resign Matthews, Gaines, and Brown they could still add another starting caliber player and 1-2 depth players via free agency and then have a ton of picks to address needs and depth in the draft. 

Yeah they are going to have ways to save and I suspect they will hit the second and third tier veteran free agent market pretty hard to cheaply keep plugging holes because it will take 3 or more McD drafts to re-tool this team to the point where they are "young".

I don't see Matthews back.   Brown is really awful in coverage and has dropped off noticeably against the run lately........if he's back, which I doubt,  I'd hope it's real cheap.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’d expect the Bills to take a run at Star Lotulelei. He fits a massive need and is a guy that Beane brought in once already. Dontari Poe is another guy to consider.

Those are the two I saw on the FA lists that stand out as well.

I could also see them moving Shaq inside.........I don't care how stout you are against the run at LDE....... if you don't even touch a live QB in anger for the first 8 games of the season you aren't a good enough pass rusher.   He's been utterly abysmal on the pass rush but flashes the power to give guards a more difficult time.

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Those are the two I saw on the FA lists that stand out as well.

I could also see them moving Shaq inside.........I don't care how stout you are against the run at LDE....... if you don't even touch a live QB in anger for the first 8 games of the season you aren't a good enough pass rusher.   He's been utterly abysmal on the pass rush but flashes the power to give guards a more difficult time.

That’s an interesting thought. It never crossed my mind but makes some sense. With how bad the pass rush has been they should try something different. 

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’d expect the Bills to take a run at Star Lotulelei. He fits a massive need and is a guy that Beane brought in once already. Dontari Poe is another guy to consider.

You are making a good point. There is cap flexibility that allows us to go in a variety of directions. There is a value consideration with this new regime's personnel decisions. Dareus, playing at his best, is well worth his salary. Dareus, playing sluggishly, is not worth his cap hit. 

The Benjamin deal made a lot of sense for Carolina because they have a similar type player in Funchess who is equally as productive. In addition, there were some conflicts with him regarding conditioning which made the deal even more appealing for the dispatching team. For Buffalo the Bills get a big target at a need position. Our staff is acquainted with the player so it knows the type of player they are getting. Without a doubt he is filling a need and his talent level is higher (in my estimation) than the pick we are trading. 

4 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

I can agree with that as long as Zay turns into what we all think he should be here. I really have no clue what this FO will do with the QB position next draft. I guess we need to see what the next 8 games brings for us.

To the main topic of this thread listed as cap dilemma? Do we even have a cap dilemma? I think we are in great shape actually.

There isn’t a cap problem or dilemma.  The Bills dug themselves out of their cap issues.  Between their available cap space and  abundance of draft picks they should be in very good shape going forward. 

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Absolutely.  I’ve been thinking the exact same thing. 

2 hours ago, John from Hemet said:

I think players that we dont expect to be gone will be gone....lets not forget we have a LOT of high draft picks in this next draft......McD and Beane are gonna wanna play their guys

Who is left that we don’t expect?

On 11/4/2017 at 5:50 PM, jmc12290 said:

As of today, the Bills have $21M in cap space for 2018, not including rookie contracts. 

Our pending FAs:

Kyle Williams DT 34 BUF TBD $7,433,333 UFA -
Jordan Matthews WR 25 BUF TBD $1,237,317 UFA -
Shareece Wright CB 30 BUF TBD $1,100,000 UFA -
Brandon Tate WR 30 BUF TBD $1,010,000 UFA -
Mike Tolbert FB 31 BUF TBD $980,000 UFA -
Ramon Humber OLB 30 BUF TBD $900,000 UFA -
Colt Anderson SS 32 BUF TBD $900,000 UFA -
Joe Webb QB 30 BUF TBD $900,000 UFA -
Leonard Johnson CB 27 BUF TBD $855,000 UFA -
Cedric Thornton DT 29 BUF TBD $775,000 UFA -
Taiwan Jones RB 29 BUF TBD $775,000 UFA -
Shamarko Thomas SS 26 BUF TBD $775,000 UFA -
Travaris Cadet RB 28 BUF TBD $775,000 UFA -
Deonte Thompson WR 28 BUF TBD $775,000 UFA -
Preston Brown ILB 25 BUF TBD $751,438 UFA -
Jerel Worthy DT 27 BUF TBD $600,000 UFA -
E.J. Gaines CB 25 BUF TBD $581,918 UFA -
Seantrel Henderson RT 25 BUF TBD $567,720 UFA

Who do we keep?  Assuming Kyle comes back and we resign one of Gaines/Matthews, we could be looking at around $5M in spendable money next offseason.  Do we restructure TT a third time?

Not to totally pee all over your parade, but Rob Quinn did a nice write-up and explanation of Cap situation. They are in a very good position with a fair amount of money and that's WITH Tyrod coming back at $18, Shady at his cap hit and Hughes at his Cap hit...none of which I think come back.