What do you think our draft needs are right now?

I really think we are lucky in that we can play with the guys we have so we really can do BPA.  The important thing is to not reach and get talent indicative of where they are picked.  A QB worthy of pushing Taylor or an heir apparent would be great.  A freak LB like Miller or Mack would be a nice addition.  Another CB like White would be good.  The CB spot sees a lot of injuries.  Sure would be nice to have rookie year Karlos Williams right now as well.

Edited by Maine-iac

I understand the question and reason for it, but honestly it’s hard to answer until we know how Beane and McD will approach FA. So, I’ll say this about position needs IMO, that need to be addressed via FA or Draft in some way:

1. QB (I don’t think Tyrod is back)

2. DT (Kyle isn’t coming back)

3. Offensive line: Guard - RT (if not Dawkins)

4. LB

5. Corner

6. DE (Hughes cut / traded)

7. WR

8. RB (no more Shady next year)

9. Everything else for depth 

1 minute ago, BigBuff423 said:

I understand the question and reason for it, but honestly it’s hard to answer until we know how Beane and McD will approach FA. So, I’ll say this about position needs IMO, that need to be addressed via FA or Draft in some way:

1. QB (I don’t think Tyrod is back)

2. DT (Kyle isn’t coming back)

3. Offensive line: Guard - RT (if not Dawkins)

4. LB

5. Corner

6. DE (Hughes cut / traded)

7. WR

8. RB (no more Shady next year)

9. Everything else for depth 

So we are getting rid of our QB, star RB, only pass rusher and a future Wall of Famer in 1 offseason?

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

So we are getting rid of our QB, star RB, only pass rusher and a future Wall of Famer in 1 offseason?

Does that surprise you considering the moves thus far? Honestly, I think if they had better options, they wouldn’t have been here this year - except Kyle, and him I think it’s his decision. Shady and Tyrod’s contract make them expendable. Shady is great, but at 30 and that cap hit, based on what we’ve seen this season - I don’t see it for next year. As for Tyrod, no I don’t think he’ll be the QB for the Bills next year considering the Draft capital they have and that they can take that $18 mil hit and reinvest in other areas while they Draft their guy. 

Sorry Edit: as for Hughes, again I just don’t think his character and type of penalties will sit well with McD when they have an off season to have all those penalties sink in, and evaluate his cap hit compared to the negatives that also come with his pressures. It’s just a hunch and I  might be wrong about Hughes, but....we’ll see.

Edited by BigBuff423

2 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Does that surprise you considering the moves thus far? Honestly, I think if they had better options, they wouldn’t have been here this year - except Kyle, and him I think it’s his decision. Shady and Tyrod’s contract make them expendable. Shady is great, but at 30 and that cap hit, based on what we’ve seen this season - I don’t see it for next year. As for Tyrod, no I don’t think he’ll be the QB for the Bills next year considering the Draft capital they have and that they can take that $18 mil hit and reinvest in other areas while they Draft their guy. 

Sorry Edit: as for Hughes, again I just don’t think his character and type of penalties will sit well with McD when they have an off season to have all those penalties sink in, and evaluate his cap hit compared to the negatives that also come with his pressures. It’s just a hunch and I  might be wrong about Hughes, but....we’ll see.

Kyle probably retires and maybe they let Hughes go. At this point though that would be a surprise considering the pass rush struggles of the team. It would be a big surprise to see Tyrod gone and a really, really big surprise to see Shady our after this year. I’d say that the likeliest scenario is at least 3 of them being back. 

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Kyle probably retires and maybe they let Hughes go. At this point though that would be a surprise considering the pass rush struggles of the team. It would be a big surprise to see Tyrod gone and a really, really big surprise to see Shady our after this year. I’d say that the likeliest scenario is at least 3 of them being back. 

I’m afraid Kyle will call it quits, but I hope not. Hughes is our only threat of a pass rush. We need to draft for a rush, but can’t afford to lose him yet in my mind. Shady is great, but easy to replace if you make the right pick. 

I think we will consistently see this regime draft the BPA at positions that typically cost the most against the cap. So (in no order) QB (until they hit on their guy), WR, CB, DE, OT will be the positions drafted more heavily than others, as you can sign top tier LB's, G's, RB's, etc for significantly less than the previously mentioned positions.. Purely speculating.

Edited by ThunderGun

On 11/3/2017 at 10:08 AM, Bray Wyatt said:

we need a pass rusher and lb, not sure which first. A DT is up there too but I don't think we need to use a 1st on one this year

definitely a DE/LB pass rusher!   Shaq is a bust!

On 11/4/2017 at 7:41 AM, simpleman said:

We need a big DL up the middle who can run block and pull double teams, be a pro bowler like oh ….

We need a speedy WR with good hands who can make great catches and go deep and on the outside, run good routes like oh ….

We need a good RB for a change up to McCoy like that guy in NE

We need another quality corner for special formations and for depth. If we can’t resign our rental CB, EJ, we will also need another starter at corner. Would have been nice to have a quality CB sewed up for another year or two at a low price

We need a right OL and a right OG, just like last year

We probably will need a Kyle replacement if he retires

We might be able to wait a year, but Richie is getting up there in age and need to think about grooming a replacement

We still need a Franchise QB like we have since oh, when we had that Kelly guy

We need pretty much quality depth at all positions ….

But hey we have all that “character” on our team and all that trust in the mysterious all mighty “process”

We are really going to need this draft to be very successful since we have 19 million in dead cap money that we can’t use to get talent in free agency

Lucky we have such an experienced veteran HC and GM to guide us through all this

Matt Elam out of Kentucky weighs 360

1. DT - Kyle should retire soon, Dareus traded, neither were getting much interior pass rush anyway. Should probably draft two of these, TBH. 

2. LB - Lorenzo should retire soon. Humber and Milano are nice but we really shoudn't continue to try and get away with so little investment in this position. 

3. G - Richie should retire soon. Our running game hasn't been able to do much vs good defenses this year, anyway. 

4. OT - See above. 

5. QB - Tyrod is under contract next year and is doing fine, but I'm still sure that the regime views him as an interim.  

6. RB - McCoy backup/heir. 

7. CB? - Depends on in Gaines is resigned. 

8. WR? - Depends on if Matthews is resigned. 

9. TE? - Depends on how they view Clay's health going forward. 

Edited by SoFFacet

15 minutes ago, SoFFacet said:

1. DT - Kyle should retire soon, Dareus traded, neither were getting much interior pass rush anyway. Should probably draft two of these, TBH. 

2. LB - Lorenzo should retire soon. Humber and Milano are nice but we really shoudn't continue to try and get away with so little investment in this position. 

3. G - Richie should retire soon. Our running game hasn't been able to do much vs good defenses this year, anyway. 

4. OT - See above. 

5. QB - Tyrod is under contract next year and is doing fine, but I'm still sure that the regime views him as an interim.  

6. RB - McCoy backup/heir. 

7. CB? - Depends on in Gaines is resigned. 

8. WR? - Depends on if Matthews is resigned. 

9. TE? - Depends on how they view Clay's health going forward. 

I think Tackle moreso than Guard.  I would like for us to move Dawkins to Guard.  I'd also add hire a new OL Coach lol.

14 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Hughes gives nearly as many yards as he takes with his ratio of sacks to 15 yard penalties, and that is not the type of undisciplined football McD wants to play, so given his Cap hit, I would be (and probably will be) more surprised if they bring him back at the same pay. And yes, pass rush struggles are real, but the Draft and FA can go a long way in helping that, and not sacrifice penalty yards. Again, what good does it do to sack a QB for -7 yards but two plays later give up the automatic 1st down plus 15 more?? 

As for Tyrod, he was / is the best option they had. But for $18 million in Cap money, they can do a lot of things to bring in good, quality players and Draft their own QB at a significant fraction of the cost plus he doesn't really do what they want a QB to do: stay in pocket, be accurate, do quick hits in a WC style Offense and be tall enough to see the field clearly. But, we shall see....

As for Shady...he's been dynamic when blocking is there, and he's been a truly good character for the team. But, and it's a huge a*s but, he is hitting the magical wall of 30 and at a pretty hefty price....so, I think Beane and McD identify an early round RB to be their bell-cow, say late 1st to late 2nd round, and go with him at a reduced cost. Again, that same RB money can be used for Offensive line help and LB help, which they will desperately need. 

I can see them signing Preston Brown and EJ Gaines because of their relative age to productivity to cost ratio. 

Not that it matters, but I did say Sammy would be traded, I did say I didn't see Dareus back next year via trade or release (and got laughed at for it), I did say Gilmore wasn't coming back, I did say I didn't think Gillisilee would be a priority for them, and that there is a "type" of player at each position McD and Beane want....look closely enough, you'll see Tyrod doesn't fit the mold and neither does Shady. They're the best they have / had when they arrived. But given their contract status and now with multiple Draft picks and good amount of money to be free, i don't think they can justify bringing either one back. 

Also, not sure about Clay. Him, I think they ask to re-structure to save Cap money but keep him since Dennison's Offense is TE friendly. 

• 2 weeks later...
On November 3, 2017 at 9:56 AM, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Obviously QB but also WR, DT, LB

IMO at least

CBF

Might be easier to indicate what people think we do not need.

We could use a little bit of just about everything.

On 11/5/2017 at 10:42 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

I'm not doing this to pick a verbal spar over our disagreement, but do you still believe they bring Tyrod back? I still think Shady is gone due to all of my aforementioned reasons, Hughes has become virtually invisible and I just don't see Kyle sticking around for this re-build. But alas....we shall wait and see.

9 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

I'm not doing this to pick a verbal spar over our disagreement, but do you still believe they bring Tyrod back? I still think Shady is gone due to all of my aforementioned reasons, Hughes has become virtually invisible and I just don't see Kyle sticking around for this re-build. But alas....we shall wait and see.

Nope, a lot has changed in the last 2 weeks. He played his worst game and then shockingly got benched. I could see all of those guys gone. Kyle is probably gone as is Lorax. Shady probably is here another year and Tyrod is out (hopefully they trade him). 

• Like (+1) 1