ESPN: The Great Tyrod Taylor Debate

YoloinOhio

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I miss the old days of Trent and JP when you could point out their flaws and not have to deal with SJWs flipping out, calling people racists. No one is saying he can't throw an accurate pass because he's black, they're just saying it because it's true.

28th in YPC, 29th in yards per game. That just isn't something you want to see out of your franchise QB. When he ran more it was understandable but this is pocket passer Tyrod. 20+ yard plays, 21, 40+ yard plays, 3. So while the prior two years he had more explosive plays, we aren't seeing that as much this year. Crappy system? Maybe. Crappy ball placement not allowing for YAC? Definitely.

You can use all sorts of stats to make him look great but the ones that make him look like what he is (average) are all typically ignored here. And I don't see him as being overly careful with the football, he's had a couple dropped picks, it's just that he isn't accurate enough to take the shots a good QB does so we're in this stagnant short passing game with no real threat of passing over about 10 yards down the field.

My hope here is that it really is the receivers and Kelvin Benjamin is the solution. Only time will tell.

QB's are card games based on statistical probability in a deck of 52?

Oh, no.....they aren't.

You can nit pick every analogy.

okay buddy :rolleyes:

So again I ask to others since jmc is boring me...

I would be interested to see people's list of who they have playing better than TT in 2017. Not career, not pedigree, just there play this year. I'd be interested to see some lists.

I miss the old days of Trent and JP when you could point out their flaws and not have to deal with SJWs flipping out, calling people racists. No one is saying he can't throw an accurate pass because he's black, they're just saying it because it's true.

You can have conversation about him. GunnerBill comes to mind as someone who has valid criticisms of TT and lays them out. xRushx also comes to mind as someone who is slowly coming around. Your take is also fair even if I disagree with it.

When someone says he is a backup rb at best, or isn't even a decent backup, I wonder what there motivation for that kind of hatred is. Could be racism, could be stupidity. Have a take, back it up with your reasons, use facts for your reasons, and nobody will say you're a racist. Use hyperbole, be ignorant, use emotion, I'm gonna wonder what your motives are.

I would be interested to see people's list of who they have playing better than TT in 2017. Not career, not pedigree, just there play this year. I'd be interested to see some lists.

You can have conversation about him. GunnerBill comes to mind as someone who has valid criticisms of TT and lays them out. xRushx also comes to mind as someone who is slowly coming around. Your take is also fair even if I disagree with it.

When someone says he is a backup rb at best, or isn't even a decent backup, I wonder what there motivation for that kind of hatred is. Could be racism, could be stupidity. Have a take, back it up with your reasons, use facts for your reasons, and nobody will say you're a racist. Use hyperbole, be ignorant, use emotion, I'm gonna wonder what your motives are.

This times 1000.

Clearly, imperfect analogies escape even the brightest TBD minds.

Appreciate you telling me that blackjack doesn't have 1:1 applicability to the NFL. I used to think that's how they determined playoff seeding.

Your love affair with me reminds me of Forrest Gump and Jenny. I'll have the drug problem, if you'll be the simpleton. :thumbsup:

At the risk of using another blackjack analogy, you're doubling down on an already losing hand. Take the L and hope for the best next time. We're all rooting for you.

This is the best post I've read in- probably- years.

Edited by BringBackFlutie

The Peterman "hype" started when he looked good in the preseason and the General Manager heaped praise on him.

You mean the Preseason where he did his best Tebow impression completing 50% of his passes against backups and guys not in the league? I realize you may just be summing up where it came from and not proclaiming it yourself, but its amazing what some around here define as "looked good".

And I am a guy who likes his potential still, but I am also a realist and could see plain as day he wasn't remotely close to being ready to start an NFL game and I would bet everything I have in life that we would have a losing record right now with him as our starter through this point of the season.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Here's a couple of lists.

DYAR

1. Tom Brady

2. Alex Smith

3. Drew Brees

4. Ben Roethlisberger

5. Case Keenum

6. Deshaun Watson

7. Carson Wentz

8. Dak Prescott

9. Philip Rivers

10. Matt Ryan

11. Derek Carr

12. Jared Goff

13. Russ Wilson

14. Jameis Winston

15. Kirk Cousins

16. Aaron Rodgers (injured)

17. Marcus Mariota

18. Tyrod Taylor

19. Matt Stafford

20. Blake Bortles

QBR

1. Deshaun Watson

2. Dak Prescott

3. Carson Wentz

4. Tom Brady

5. Kirk Cousins

6. Case Keenum

7. Alex Smith

8. Aaron Rodgers

9. Russ Wilson

10. Matt Ryan

11. Marcus Mariota

12. Drew Brees

13. Ben Roethlisberger

14. Derek Carr

15. Jared Goff

16. Matt Stafford

17. Tyrod Taylor

18. Josh McCown

19. Blake Bortles

20. Carson Palmer

Here's a couple of lists.

DYAR

1. Tom Brady

2. Alex Smith

3. Drew Brees

4. Ben Roethlisberger

5. Case Keenum

6. Deshaun Watson

7. Carson Wentz

8. Dak Prescott

9. Philip Rivers

10. Matt Ryan

11. Derek Carr

12. Jared Goff

13. Russ Wilson

14. Jameis Winston

15. Kirk Cousins

16. Aaron Rodgers (injured)

17. Marcus Mariota

18. Tyrod Taylor

19. Matt Stafford

20. Blake Bortles

QBR

1. Deshaun Watson

2. Dak Prescott

3. Carson Wentz

4. Tom Brady

5. Kirk Cousins

6. Case Keenum

7. Alex Smith

8. Aaron Rodgers

9. Russ Wilson

10. Matt Ryan

11. Marcus Mariota

12. Drew Brees

13. Ben Roethlisberger

14. Derek Carr

15. Jared Goff

16. Matt Stafford

17. Tyrod Taylor

18. Josh McCown

19. Blake Bortles

20. Carson Palmer

I don't personally believe you can put TT above Stafford but otherwise these lists make sense to me.

28th in YPC, 29th in yards per game. That just isn't something you want to see out of your franchise QB. When he ran more it was understandable but this is pocket passer Tyrod. 20+ yard plays, 21, 40+ yard plays, 3. So while the prior two years he had more explosive plays, we aren't seeing that as much this year. Crappy system? Maybe. Crappy ball placement not allowing for YAC? Definitely.

You can use all sorts of stats to make him look great but the ones that make him look like what he is (average) are all typically ignored here. And I don't see him as being overly careful with the football, he's had a couple dropped picks, it's just that he isn't accurate enough to take the shots a good QB does so we're in this stagnant short passing game with no real threat of passing over about 10 yards down the field.

My hope here is that it really is the receivers and Kelvin Benjamin is the solution. Only time will tell.

Honestly, the failing Logan Thomas pass that DIDN'T result in a TD is the epitome of this argument. I think it was the Denver game, but I can't recall, when Tyrod had Logan Thomas in the flat wide-fricken-open as soon as he rolled out on the play-action with the LB between Tyrod and Logan. If Tyrod released the ball as soon as he's out of the play-action, really, really good chance it's a TD. Instead, he holds the ball too long, the LB catches up, gets between them and as they all run right, Tyrod and Thomas run out of real estate and while Tyrod placed the ball where only Logan "could" get it, no one got it...it was thrown out of bounds. This, is Tyrod's decision making in a nutshell...hold too long, doubt the window, and cause the play to be "broken".

Keep Tyrod for next year since $16mil isnt a lot for a decent starting QB these days. Draft a QB early if given the opportunity. Go into next season with Tyrod as the starter with the rookie developing behind him. Re-evaluate how things are going next year. Or, if Tyrod craps the bed the last 9 games then dump him and move on. Its seriosuly not that complicated. This isnt some great debate.

It really is this simple.

You mean the Preseason where he did his best Tebow impression completing 50% of his passes against backups and guys not in the league? I realize you may just be summing up where it came from and not proclaiming it yourself, but its amazing what some around here define as "looked good".

Wasnt he also throwing to and being protected by backups and guys not in the league? Doesnt that factor in at all or do those things only matter when we try to excuse Tyrods performance?

Tyrod Taylor is the 2018 Quarterback if the Bills get over the hump this year, a historically significant event in itself.

One, he's earned it.

Two, that'd be seriously chancing the karma/mojo/cosmic gods by jettisoning him for a rookie.

Honestly, the failing Logan Thomas pass that DIDN'T result in a TD is the epitome of this argument. I think it was the Denver game, but I can't recall, when Tyrod had Logan Thomas in the flat wide-fricken-open as soon as he rolled out on the play-action with the LB between Tyrod and Logan. If Tyrod released the ball as soon as he's out of the play-action, really, really good chance it's a TD. Instead, he holds the ball too long, the LB catches up, gets between them and as they all run right, Tyrod and Thomas run out of real estate and while Tyrod placed the ball where only Logan "could" get it, no one got it...it was thrown out of bounds. This, is Tyrod's decision making in a nutshell...hold too long, doubt the window, and cause the play to be "broken".

WRONG

Anyone who knows anything about football knows that was on Logan Thomas. He is supposed to break his route to the empty endzone when he sees the safety vacate his zone. It was a clear TD if Thomas looked there before he made his break. Tyrod even tried to wave him into the end zone and the guy kept running towards the sideline.

Tyrod has made some mistakes, but if Thomas adjusts his route, and Zay Jones doesn't in Carolina, there's a serious chance that the Bills are playing for 8-0 tonight.