ESPN: The Great Tyrod Taylor Debate

YoloinOhio

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And what is your justification that other then just personal preference (I also consider him about a middle of the road starter right now)

Stafford is asked to do more in his offense, and has a decent but not great supporting cast.

He's also better at the cerebral portions of the postion.

Edited by jmc12290

To be fair. I don't think the main problem people see with Tyrod is whether or not he throws certain passes well, it's just that he hasn't come up big for us when behind. I personally don't care if he runs or passes for 80 yards when we're down in the 4th, as long as he punches the ball into the endzone.

Stafford is asked to do more in his offense, and has a decent but not great supporting cast.

He's also better at the cerebral portions of the postion.

I see....so personal preference.....because you have no fugging idea what the coaches ask TT to do in this offense and TT has not had a great supporting cast but got better yesterday

Honestly, the failing Logan Thomas pass that DIDN'T result in a TD is the epitome of this argument. I think it was the Denver game, but I can't recall, when Tyrod had Logan Thomas in the flat wide-fricken-open as soon as he rolled out on the play-action with the LB between Tyrod and Logan. If Tyrod released the ball as soon as he's out of the play-action, really, really good chance it's a TD. Instead, he holds the ball too long, the LB catches up, gets between them and as they all run right, Tyrod and Thomas run out of real estate and while Tyrod placed the ball where only Logan "could" get it, no one got it...it was thrown out of bounds. This, is Tyrod's decision making in a nutshell...hold too long, doubt the window, and cause the play to be "broken".

Absolutley. And I don't see where people come up with this whole "he has no time" argument, he isn't in the top 10 of sacks taken, he's mobile so he can certainly create more time if he needs it and I think that's partially to blame for what you and I both see. His development at reading defenses is stunted because in the back of his mind he's aware what an amazing athlete he is. He knows that he can escape if he has to so there was never that urgency that causes you to speed up the read. It also causes him to doubt a throw because he can also run if he needs to and it's a question he asks himself just as a guy comes open.

I can't really recall a play that the ball comes out at the top of his drop or at the crest of a bootleg just as he gets outside the pocket. I think this year is the worst for me because he is trying to reel in his running. That's a bad idea, because it's ingrained in his play and if his mind says run he should run. A good analogy for this is like when the NFL tried to change Tebow's throwing motion because it didn't look "NFL." Either let the guy play or get a different guy that fits what your vision of a QB is supposed to be.

Edited by Luka

okay buddy :rolleyes:

So again I ask to others since jmc is boring me...

I would be interested to see people's list of who they have playing better than TT in 2017. Not career, not pedigree, just there play this year. I'd be interested to see some lists.

You can have conversation about him. GunnerBill comes to mind as someone who has valid criticisms of TT and lays them out. xRushx also comes to mind as someone who is slowly coming around. Your take is also fair even if I disagree with it.

When someone says he is a backup rb at best, or isn't even a decent backup, I wonder what there motivation for that kind of hatred is. Could be racism, could be stupidity. Have a take, back it up with your reasons, use facts for your reasons, and nobody will say you're a racist. Use hyperbole, be ignorant, use emotion, I'm gonna wonder what your motives are.

Hatred? Maybe they just like a different player? lol Anyways I'm not going down this rabbit hole I just see the word racist pop too often in cases where neither side has a compelling argument.

WRONG

Anyone who knows anything about football knows that was on Logan Thomas. He is supposed to break his route to the empty endzone when he sees the safety vacate his zone. It was a clear TD if Thomas looked there before he made his break. Tyrod even tried to wave him into the end zone and the guy kept running towards the sideline.

Tyrod has made some mistakes, but if Thomas adjusts his route, and Zay Jones doesn't in Carolina, there's a serious chance that the Bills are playing for 8-0 tonight.

When receivers have experience and/or lots of playing time with a quarterback everyone just knows what the other will do. Clay has already broken off several routes this season when he saw clear space and Taylor scrambling. Watkins would have automatically adjusted to the ball in a way Jones didn't in Carolina. It's just game experience and time playing with Taylor. You have to expect lost opportunities when relying on a rookie & a guy just learning the position.

Based off this year alone? I would put TT ahead of Carr and Ryan. Their play overall hasn't been good.

...as long as we get the "W" weekly, what else really matters?.....who he is ahead of or who he trails?....style points?.....>300 yards?......the doubting talking heads?.....don't see ANY of those columns in the standings.....win tonight and get to 6-2, which 1993 was the last time....spend your time prepping for next week and potentially 7-2......what the hell is MORE important?.....

Love the article. Really nice piece. I think this quote about blackjack sums up the "Great Debate" pretty well:

"Almost every week, you'll pull one throw from his game tape that's obscene, that almost no quarterback can make," Monson says. "Dumping Tyrod Taylor because you think you can do better is like hitting a 17 in blackjack," Monson says. "You can do better than your hand, but you probably won't."

...as long as we get the "W" weekly, what else really matters?.....who he is ahead of or who he trails?....style points?.....>300 yards?......the doubting talking heads?.....don't see ANY of those columns in the standings.....win tonight and get to 6-2, which 1993 was the last time....spend your time prepping for next week and potentially 7-2......what the hell is MORE important?.....

Me personally, I don't care how they win. Just win!

28th in YPC, 29th in yards per game. That just isn't something you want to see out of your franchise QB. When he ran more it was understandable but this is pocket passer Tyrod. 20+ yard plays, 21, 40+ yard plays, 3. So while the prior two years he had more explosive plays, we aren't seeing that as much this year. Crappy system? Maybe. Crappy ball placement not allowing for YAC? Definitely.

If you calculate 20+ yard plays by attempt - how often a quarterback pushes the ball down the field - Taylor is currently sixth in the NFL

Divide the number of long plays by attempts and you get this :

1. Watson

2. Goff

3. Brees

4. Cousins

5. Brady

6. Taylor

7. Wilson

But it always boils down to attempts, doesn't it?

If you calculate 20+ yard plays by attempt - how often a quarterback pushes the ball down the field - Taylor is currently sixth in the NFL

Divide the number of long plays by attempts and you get this :

1. Watson

2. Goff

3. Brees

4. Cousins

5. Brady

6. Taylor

7. Wilson

But it always boils down to attempts, doesn't it?

Did you include his 44 rush attempts? Those are technically drop backs where he didn't throw the ball, give or take maybe one or two designed runs. So I got .0875. Should always include rush attempts because alot of those are sacks or runs. That's why stats don't always tell the whole story because you have to include all the stats.

"Dumping Tyrod Taylor because you think you can do better is like hitting a 17 in blackjack" Monson says.

I'd say a more apt quote would be "Dumping Tyrod Taylor because you think you can do better is like hitting a soft 17 in blackjack."

The book says you hit that every time, and most people don't understand why.