Patriots trade Jimmy Garoppolo to SF

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@FieldYates

The 49ers currently project to have ~$100M in cap space this offseason. Jimmy Garoppolo is set to break the bank in San Francisco.

If Jimmy Garoppolo is set to 'break the bank', there's no justification for acquiring a QB in any other way than the draft IMO. The math doesn't add up to me...you trade a 2nd for a guy who you're going to give a massive contract to, who's played all of 2 professional games...when a QB taken with that 2nd rounder has I have to think a proportionally equivalent (salary-to-potential WRT draft pick traded) chance of being just as good a deal. I don't understand it.

If Jimmy Garoppolo is set to 'break the bank', there's no justification for acquiring a QB in any other way than the draft IMO. The math doesn't add up to me...you trade a 2nd for a guy who you're going to give a massive contract to, who's played all of 2 professional games...when a QB taken with that 2nd rounder has I have to think a proportionally equivalent (salary-to-potential WRT draft pick traded) chance of being just as good a deal. I don't understand it.

I don't get the contract thing either but it's possible 49ers did not like any of the QBs coming out next year

Tank job

@49erswebzone

#49ers sticking with rookie C.J. Beathard to start rest of 2017 season [Press Democrat]

Sure they will...until he throws a few too many INTs or makes really bad decisions and then he gets benched

I don't get the contract thing either but it's possible 49ers did not like any of the QBs coming out next year

I agree with this. The 49ers must think that there is not a true 1st round QB in the draft. How does that impact "The Bills must/will draft a QB in the 1st round discussion/Tyrod Sucks threads."??

But no, the Bills can't get high picks for players. Meanwhile teams are throwing around 2nd round picks.

That's why we DON'T have 2 firsts, 2 seconds, and 2 thirds in next year's draft ...

@PhilAPerry

Here is Belichick's opening statement on the Garoppolo trade during today's conference call. "I felt we rode it out as long as we could."

DNeltJXX0AAhzb8.jpg

11:55 AM - 31 Oct 2017 from Boston, MA

I'm not one to put too much stock in what a HC or GM say about a trade, cut, etc. Typically they say nothing, or something so generic, the press/fans take to "interpreting" the remarks, any way their bias/preconception leads them. Belicheat, particularly, is one who just grunts stuff.

But I'm betting there's a lot of truth in this. Making these kinds of decisions is complicated, despite the 'analysys" you see from reporters, or Internet forum experts. They understand there are negatives involved in most any decision. (Still not sure what the negative is in the Kelvin Benjamin deal---but I'm still in the glow.) So, and I rarely do this: Props to Belicheat.

But I still don't discount the possibility some cheating, or something shady, went down given who they are.

what exactly has JImmy G. shown? I remember this guy named Rob Johnson, man he had one great game as a backup, and some team payed a high price for an unknown quantity.

bit surprised the niners payed that price for him. especially with the QBs in this upcoming draft, and Cousins being a free agent.

been a bunch of backup QBs from NE to go elsewhere, and every one of them has been terrible. Not exactly the track record you would look for to trade for an unknown.

...absurd money being thrown around for mediocrity at best....if Cousins was to be their boy, he's thinking WELL north of $25 mil/yr.......they may be able to lock up Jimmy G for Glennon type money which again is absurd considering TWO NFL starts.......they have plenty of cap room but you could be right about their view of 2018 class as meh......and the entire class is in question as to who comes out, who stays healthy for 2017 duration, performances, etc.....funny how this class went from being the greatest invention since beer to big question mark(s)........that's why we call the draft an inexact science.....roll the dice.......

Patriots-49ers: Brian Hoyer originally part of Jimmy Garoppolo trade, but yanked because of compensatory draft picks

The 49ers are not projected to receive any compensatory draft picks, while the Patriots are scheduled to receive two fourth round picks and a seventh round pick.

Hoyer counts as a fifth round pick on the compensatory draft pick cancellation chart on OverTheCap.com, but if a player is released before a certain point in the year they do not count in the compensatory math.

Ernie Adams I would bet

That's why we DON'T have 2 firsts, 2 seconds, and 2 thirds in next year's draft ...

One 1st was for giving up a first not a player. One 2nd was for giving up a player we drafted with 2 1sts. One 3rd was for giving up a guy we drafted in the 2nd round.

Its ok guys, the front office can botch one. They aren't getting top optimal value for every single trade, and its ok to call them out on one occasionally. I am not unhappy with the trades, I thought Watkins was a mistake, but replacing him with Benjamin fixes that. Dareus we could have done better on.

I don't see the point either. Garoppolo has two games under his belt. Why people think he even deserves a deal, and doesn't need to prove it is beyond me. I surely hope they start him the rest of the year to see what he is actually capable of. That's going to be costly to their draft position if he is the former patriot wonder boy though.

Edited by What a Tuel

what exactly has JImmy G. shown? I remember this guy named Rob Johnson, man he had one great game as a backup, and some team payed a high price for an unknown quantity.

bit surprised the niners payed that price for him. especially with the QBs in this upcoming draft, and Cousins being a free agent.

been a bunch of backup QBs from NE to go elsewhere, and every one of them has been terrible. Not exactly the track record you would look for to trade for an unknown.

SF gave up a second rounder, not exactly the #7 pick overall the Bills gave up to draft RoJo. Now the contract is another story but I think this was fair compensation.

Edited by Gordio

I agree with this. The 49ers must think that there is not a true 1st round QB in the draft. How does that impact "The Bills must/will draft a QB in the 1st round discussion/Tyrod Sucks threads."??

How about NE wants to get in on the 2018 QB draft so who do you trust here, SF by avoiding it or NE making a move to be in it? Do you think Hoy is going to replace Brady as the franchise guy? Just because SF traded for Grap doesn't say they still cant draft a top QB in 2018 as well to have them fight it out for the job or at least have insurance in having the Grap in case they don't get the QB they want in the draft or said QB isn't as ready as Grap for 2018 season. Edited by xRUSHx

• 4 weeks later...