Bills improve to 5-2 w/ "boring" win (article)

BigDingus

Do we know turnovers will dry up?

No, we don't.

Often times teams that are on a roll with takeaways last the whole season. Add that to the fact that many of them are from players being in the right place, which is sustainable.

I don't necessarily think they will because our defense is out and out taking the football away from the ball carriers.

We have a ballhawk defense. Love that.

Even our punter does it.

Edited by reddogblitz

https://sports.yahoo.com/bills-improve-5-2-another-200811041.html

I don't mind the "boring" part of it, but the problem I still have with this team is their struggle to do much with the takeaways they're gifted.

Eventually the turnovers will dry up, then what? We had 13 points off 4 turnovers today, with one being returned by the defense for a TD. So in other words, 6 points off 3 turnovers otherwise, which is up from last week when we had 3 turnovers for 3 points. Against the Bengals we forced 3 turnovers too, but which we had one nice drive for a TD, one 3 & out punt, and one FG. So 10 pts off turnovers, 6 pts otherwise.

Each week it seems like our defense is basically WILLING us to victory, practically gifting the offense chance after chance to put the game away. If our offense was better, we'd be blowing teams out of the water with all the turnovers we get, but too often we don't do enough with them. Half the time we are lucky to get FG's only due to the starting field position we're given off the turnovers. Had the offense started in their own territory, they'd be forced to punt.

I'm not trying to be a Debbie-Downer, but we know the turnovers will eventually dry up. We know we'll face better teams where we can't afford to punt or kick FG's off turnovers. We started 5-1 in 2008 & 5-2 in 2011, finishing the seasons 7-9 & 6-10 from there. I see similar things happening that happened in those seasons. Hell, last year we started 4-2, and we know what happened from there. Tyrod has looked more like Trent Edwards than ever this season, just with the added ability to scramble. But Captain Checkdown seems to have returned, only this time our WR's are less talented than before.

If we can beat the Jets on national television this Thursday, that will relieve most of my fears. Though the Jets aren't some world-beater team, we have struggled mightily on nationally televised games in recent years, losing games we should've won. Just like the Bengals game showed signs of being a letdown game (after emotional wins against the Broncos & Falcons), the Jets TNF matchup seems that way too.

The Jets are playing better than they should be, and giving opponents more fits than anyone expected was possible. We beat them already, but this time we're in NY, and their offense is playing much better. If we win, going 6-2, I'll be convinced this team is different. If we lose, I expect similar results to those previous years of quick starts.

why again will the turnovers dry up? if you play an aggressive style of defense where you go for strips and put helmets on the ball and pressure the QB and have a solid stable zone, turnovers are going to come, as they have. what's going to dry up about them?

Edited by quinnearlysghost88

Why was it boring? The offense scored a bunch of points, the defense got a bunch of turnovers, and even the special teams had some super notable plays. Sounds pretty exciting to me.

We beat them by 20 points. That's a blowout. The team played great today, and the offense continues to do enough to win and doesn't make mistakes.

Edited by MJS

The raw data tells us that the turnovers will continue. Any regression/algorithm will tell us the same. Math is on our side. If we get 0 turnovers, or 6, next game, both will be an outlier. I see 0 reason why anyone would predict a complete turnover "dry spell", beyond 1 game. Especially given the teams we play next.

While it's entirely possible that we play a game where we don't get a turnover, it's just as possible that we get 6. This is known as "Standard Deviation". 1 SD on one side, or the other, is simply: probable. The margin of error is huge though.

So, predicting that "the turnovers will dry up" is equally silly as predicting "we get 6 tunovers from the Jets!". Neither is a reasonable prediction.

Now, if this is merely "intuition" or "feelings" or whatevertheFelse...hey, you might as well flip a coin 20 times...only to find out that you're right half of the time, which doesn't make you smart, and, doesn't make you wrong or a retard either.

It's simply "regression towards the mean". Google that.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

There was some guy spewing this same crap in the comments section of an NFL.com article today... his name? Corey Dingus

With a name like that? It's gotta be a WNY troll. Dingus is a very specific word, that few know about. Other than WNY, I'd guess, that you'd have to go to Pittsburgh or Chicago to find people that know what Dingus means.

So yeah, likely a troll, who knows our culture. Put it this way, if I was gonna troll Pittsburgh, I'd call myself Corey Yinz.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Jesus, the stat-mongering....

Please note that the last INT led to kneel downs, so the fact that it did not lead to points is completely irrelevant.

You want to complain that the two 3rd quarter fumbles only led to six points? Be my guest. Though I know of no team in the NFL who turns every TO into a TD.

Not even going to comment on the OPs remarks, you all have taken care of that already. I have to take issue with the article cited though - I dont know where PFT finds these guys, but they get worse and worse year after year. Boring is not how I would describe the game yesterday at all. Forced turnovers, big runs, defensive TDs - these are all boring ways to win now? Darin must think if you do not throw for 300+ youre winning boringly. Moron.

Bills lead the NFL in making teams overrated.

Post of the Year.

Its true. Atlanta was the undefeated NFC champs playing at home. We win, so they're now overrated. Broncos have the Leagues Best Defense. We win, so they're now overrated. Oakland was a consensus preseason SB pick off last seasons playoff run. We win, now theyre overrated. Tampa is the new darling of the League and Winston is electric! We win, so they're now overrated. We were picked to beat the Jets by 9 points and we did. But theyre the Jets.. -who've been playing very well since.

Were still the Bills, but EVERYONE we play is overrated.

Your comparison of Tyrod to Trent Edwards is shameful. He may not throw for 300 yards a game but doing so doesn't make a QB a winner. He is doing exactly what is asked of him. To not turn it over and extend drives with his legs. He made some very good throws that extended drives today and his touchdown throw was beautiful. Buffalo doesn't need him to put up all the numbers because they have the run game and the defense. Tyrod has been smart as the QB. Comparing him to Edwards is simply lazy

BINGO!!! The Bills are a run-first team. They've ALWAYS been a run-first team even when they had good QBs and good passing games. Given that they play in an open stadium in the Great Lakes region, running the ball is pretty much a requirement because there are going to be games, sometimes more than one in the same season, where passing the ball is going to be difficult at best, primarily because of the wind.

Moreover, the current coaching regime is pretty conservative, so they are going to favor short, safe passes and runs that produce time-consuming drives over long downfield throws all day long. The Bills are never going to collect a stable of top notch WRs and pass catching TEs so that their QB regularly throws for 300 yards under McDermott. That's not his philosophy, and I doubt that would change even if he had Aaron Rodgers as his QB. Most QBs who regularly put up big passing stats play for teams that don't have good running games or don't have good defenses.

All the fans out there who think that the Bills are going to turn into a pass-first team if/when they draft a first round QB in 2018 are likely to be very disappointed. It's not the QB who determines the Bills offense so much as it is the HC's philosophy, which is okay with me as long as the Bills continue to win with what they're doing. Having a stout defense and a good running game have been the primary building blocks of successful teams for years.

I heard this same crap when the Devils were winning a million Cups.

Let me scream this so the OP can understand this........

WINNING IS NEVER BORING.

Truth! :thumbsup: I did think the shot of Carr slouched on the bench and looking miserable in the rain after Shady's TD run was priceless. It's been a long time since the Bills demoralized an opponent.