2018 draft would you be upset if

Dboodrow

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its going to be interesting. The only place I dont see the Bills drafting early is in the secondary (I think theyll bring Gaines back). LB would surprise me some as well. The Bills will have 6 of the 1st 100 picks and could possibly add another around 100 via a comp pick. That last part is looming less likely though IMO. I would expect 1 OL, 1 QB, 2 DL, 2 offensive skill players.

Its going to be interesting. The only place I dont see the Bills drafting early is in the secondary (I think theyll bring Gaines back). LB would surprise me some as well. The Bills will have 6 of the 1st 100 picks and could possibly add another around 100 via a comp pick. That last part is looming less likely though IMO. I would expect 1 OL, 1 QB, 2 DL, 2 offensive skill players.

They better. Gaines cannot be relied upon to be on the field on an every game basis.

Recently was reading the scouting reports on Peterman, certainly sounds like he could be good, you just never know. Last Monday night were making such a big deal about Goff's size 6'4" and 240 lbs. Peterman was listed at 6'-2" and 215. Is two inches and 20 pounds that much of a difference.?

How can you want Cousins over Taylor? God he is soo underrated on here!
I think they're high on Peterman and unless Tyrod has a very bad final 10 games, I hope they don't draft QB at all, and roll with Peterman as backup, build a powerhouse..

This is a serious question to you and everyone else.

Let's just say you are in charge of the Bills and the draft. We have the team we have now. Everyone including you knows we need a QB. You spend months and months scouting players live, watching film, meeting with your scouts, interviewing coaches and the quarterbacks, going to combine and pro days. Everything.

There are let's say two guys you think are clearly above the others. Those are the guys you want. Two guys you like a lot but have serious reservations about. And two guys you think are not as good as others think and probably overhyped.

I don't know this but I would bet this is BASICALLY true of every GM. Maybe they like three guys a lot, maybe only one. But you get the picture.

The question and point is, if both of the two guys you LOVE are gone already, no matter how hard you tried to trade up to get him, do you draft a QB at 15 or 20 that you are not completely sold on because you think you need a franchise QB, instead of a guy available you love at a position of need who was graded much higher than the QB. And just hope the QB works out?

Becaus that is the most likely scenario. We are not getting one of the top two guys. None of them are sure things. Everyone including them have questions. We have a bunch of holes to fill. Do you just draft the QB and hope?

In general terms I would not take the QB in that scenario.

The only thing I'd counter with is that this only takes into account one year. At some point I think you have to take a chance and reach for a QB. They did it with EJ and it didn't work out, but I had no problem with it. But I wouldn't want to do that every year.

They need to take a quarterback high probably in the first round it doesn't matter how well tyrod plays this year you need to have a better plan moving forward at the quarterback position. Having said that Saquan barkley has the potential to be a game changer at the running back position. If you look at how much Leonard Fournett and Todd Gurley have already influenced their franchises at such a young age it would be very tempting . Probably a moot point anyways as I think he will probably go top 10 if not top five. Shady isn't getting any younger and you also need to have a long-term plan for the future of the running back position

Edited by Finkle Is Einhorn

Recently was reading the scouting reports on Peterman, certainly sounds like he could be good, you just never know. Last Monday night were making such a big deal about Goff's size 6'4" and 240 lbs. Peterman was listed at 6'-2" and 215. Is two inches and 20 pounds that much of a difference.?

I thought he looked good in preseason.

I hope it doesn't happen but if they fall out of playoff contention he needs to get in there for an evaluation.

Let's just say you are in charge of the Bills and the draft. We have the team we have now. Everyone including you knows we need a QB. You spend months and months scouting players live, watching film, meeting with your scouts, interviewing coaches and the quarterbacks, going to combine and pro days. Everything.

There are let's say two guys you think are clearly above the others. Those are the guys you want. Two guys you like a lot but have serious reservations about. And two guys you think are not as good as others think and probably overhyped.

I don't know this but I would bet this is BASICALLY true of every GM. Maybe they like three guys a lot, maybe only one. But you get the picture.

The question and point is, if both of the two guys you LOVE are gone already, no matter how hard you tried to trade up to get him, do you draft a QB at 15 or 20 that you are not completely sold on because you think you need a franchise QB, instead of a guy available you love at a position of need who was graded much higher than the QB. And just hope the QB works out?

Becaus that is the most likely scenario. We are not getting one of the top two guys. None of them are sure things. Everyone including them have questions. We have a bunch of holes to fill. Do you just draft the QB and hope?

I respectfully disagree with your approach to this particular draft. If the Bills believe that there is a good franchise qb prospect then they need to make the selection. I'm not advocating that the Bills deal off all of their high picks to get a coveted qb but I would strongly advocate being aggressive to put itself in position to get the first or second you want. As an example, it would be worth it to give up a first, second and third round pick to move up to get a deal done. The team still has another one, two and three pick in their quiver to add to the roster.

This is the year where there are more than a few good prospects. Waiting for the next crop of qbs is a mentality that has resulted in this franchise being bereft of a franchise qb for nearly a quarter century. It is not too difficult to talk oneself out of taking the plunge. Where has it gotten us? It has gotten us to systemic mediocrity. Enough is enough!

The two draft philosophies are need or best player available, both are valid. If an exceptional talent is available at a position not necessarily a need I think you have to take him, however all things being relatively equal you draft for need. The biggest mistakes are trading up either because of panic or falling in love with a player. Panic brought us J P Losman.

I think it's funny how so many in these discussions think that this super-duper draft is going to fill every hole on the Bills' roster. They'll package all their picks to move up and get a franchise quarterback, and then use those same picks that they have given away to draft pro bowl tackles, linebackers, receivers, defensive backs, pass rushers, a running back, and offensive linemen.

Piece of cake.

This is what happened in 2003 when Eil Manning, Philip Rivers, and Ben Rothliesberger were drafted ahead of us, and we drafted J.P. Losman later in the first round. I didn't necessarily think it was the wrong thing to do, but in hindsight it was a mistake.

Yes, because by now if we have learned anything it is that GMs for the most part are as about clueless as fans as to who will turn out to be a good QB. Wilson, Carr, Watson, Dak, Cousins all good QBs that 31 and even 32 GMs passed on multiple times in some occasions. I don't want to hear that our GM wasn't sold on any of the remaining QBs so we decided to just not even try.

I respectfully disagree with your approach to this particular draft. If the Bills believe that there is a good franchise qb prospect then they need to make the selection. I'm not advocating that the Bills deal off all of their high picks to get a coveted qb but I would strongly advocate being aggressive to put itself in position to get the first or second you want. As an example, it would be worth it to give up a first, second and third round pick to move up to get a deal done. The team still has another one, two and three pick in their quiver to add to the roster.

This is the year where there are more than a few good prospects. Waiting for the next crop of qbs is a mentality that has resulted in this franchise being bereft of a franchise qb for nearly a quarter century. It is not too difficult to talk oneself out of taking the plunge. Where has it gotten us? It has gotten us to systemic mediocrity. Enough is enough!

A first second and third is likely not close to getting it done. Both firsts for sure (neither of ours will be top picks) Plus a second and maybe both of them.

Yes, because by now if we have learned anything it is that GMs for the most part are as about clueless as fans as to who will turn out to be a good QB. Wilson, Carr, Watson, Dak, Cousins all good QBs that 31 and even 32 GMs passed on multiple times in some occasions. I don't want to hear that our GM wasn't sold on any of the remaining QBs so we decided to just not even try.

That's totally ignoring all the guys taken before them that sucked.

I wouldn't want an RB in round 1 or 2. With 2 3rd round picks at your disposal you are better off looking for a heir apparent to Shady in rounds 3 or 4. RB's are a dime a dozen and Shady might still have 1 more good year left. I would much rather see a DT and WR in round 1 then got with a CB and TE in round 2. Guard and RB could be needs best off addressed in round 3. The team could also address 2 or more needs in free agency. Tons of cap space and tons of picks don't usually go hand in hand with a competitive team.

So hopefully the Bills finish the year strong and make the playoffs. A playoff birth really looks good of McD and what he is trying to do. Free agents will actually think of the Bills as a winning situation, then a strong draft class could be brought in to fill out the gaps.

Edited by billsfan89

How can you want Cousins over Taylor? God he is soo underrated on here!

I think they're high on Peterman and unless Tyrod has a very bad final 10 games, I hope they don't draft QB at all, and roll with Peterman as backup, build a powerhouse..

You can't build a powerhouse without a Quarterback. I actually agree with you on Cousins - the difference between him and Tyrod is not big.

They need to draft a QB. I am not as big of a fan as you of Tyrod and I really am not high on Peterman.

If we don't finally draft a QB after receiving all these picks, we get what we deserve coming to u

I like the first option, but if Rudolph keeps playing well, I doubt he'll be available in the 2nd round.

I would take Rudolph all day long. Smart kid, good mechanics, excellent fit for the system, . My son played against him in HS. He is something to watch in person, very fluid.