I'm sure there is a Zay thread

jumbalaya

I am not sure where you get 4 picks from. The Bills swapped 2nd round picks and they gave them the 3rd they got from Chiefs but also got a 5th round pick back. They traded their original 3rd round pick in a deal to move up to draft Dawkins.

He counted them for you in parentheses!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sarcastic overcheering when he finally caught one yesterday was fantastic.

THAT is what the term "Bronx cheer" means. :thumbsup: He got a standing Bronx Cheer even in the upper deck. It wasn't all that playful. Lotta' screaming at Zay during the game.........especially when he dropped the gimme out-pass. Yikes that was bad.

This season there have only been a few passes that Jones should have caught but he dropped. You make it sound like the pass hits him in the hands and he drops it because he was turning to run or afraid of getting hit. Taylor has thrown a lot of passes Jones way that are off target and if it was caught, it would be a hell of a catch. I am not letting Jones of the hook, he needs to improve and get more separation but lets look at the quality of throws his way.

But again, why is it that Taylor struggles so much going to Zay but doesn't struggle nearly as much going to the other receivers on the roster? For it to not mostly be on Zay the explanation would have to be that we are sending Zay on harder percentage routes that have greater degree of difficulty for Taylor to complete. I really don't know if that is the case or not, but Thompson came in immediately and made some great catches that were not all easy.

I agree that watching the games it seems like the majority of ball that go Zay's way are difficult catches. But since this has become so common when targeting Zay compared to the other receivers I feel like a lot of that has to be a problem with Zay. Not getting his head around fast enough, getting his head around but not locating the ball with his eyes fast enough, running a bad route, stumbling, thinking about where he needs to be instead of just reacting and being there, etc. Many different things can be going on to cause the catches to become difficult.

I am not sure where you get 4 picks from. The Bills swapped 2nd round picks and they gave them the 3rd they got from Chiefs but also got a 5th round pick back. They traded their original 3rd round pick in a deal to move up to draft Dawkins.

What part of four confuses you? Its an integer between 3 and 5. You don't even have to take off your shoe to do this math.

They traded their second round pick, the 44th overall pick, the 191st overall pick to move up to 37. That's three picks. Then they used the 37th pick on Zay for a total of FOUR picks!

Do you need me to set this one up for you in common core?

His issues are mental, he has the physical tools to succeed.

Every receiver in the NFL has the physical tools. Unfortunately only a small fraction of them ever become good players.

Jones looks slow, doesn't create separation and has yet to show he can catch a contested pass. He was brutally outplayed by Deonte Thompson yesterday (a guy who couldn't stay on the roster in Chicago).

Jones looks terrible right now. He needs to sit on the bench for a while.

Didn't get many targets............................

Someone didn't watch the game or had 10 too many

How many of those were catchable? I didn't see the game was listening on my phone,

I don't know why we don't just let him catch couple of short high % passes EARLY in the game , even if it's not a big gain just to get to touch the ball , and a little bit confidence builder for the rest of the game ,

636443489275240134-JG-102217-Bills-36.JP

# 11 is Zay Jones right?

0ap3000000846523_video_cp.jpg catchable?

Zay-Drop-350x263.jpg

Is this the kind of catches he was making in college?

I don't think we should be giving up on the kid , and benching him if anything we have to find a way to give him a chance at some catchable balls

Is this the kind of catches he was making in college?

I don't think we should be giving up on the kid , and benching him if anything we have to find a way to give him a chance at some catchable balls

couldn't tell you. I don't watch college football. I can only rely on what people tell me honestly.

Sammy made GREAT one handed catches once upon a time. He had plenty in camps and practices @ SJF. Where were those great catches in a real game? Few and far between.

I'm still waiting for an answer from Transplant though. Catch-able or not?

I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Hes a rook.. give him time, he will get it together.

And to those saying he shouldnt start, have you seen out roster? Who are we going to start in his place? I mean, its not like there is some stud on the bench waiting to light it up.

PS- Im still mad about the Carolina game.

Edited by Idandria

I just watched the game back on gamepass and took a look at the throws to Zay.

From what I could see, he caught 2 of 9 targets...which doesn't look great, but...

4 passes were completely uncatchable/no where near him (bad throws by Tyrod due to pressure or whatever)

1 catch on the sideline where he was draped by a CB, could have made the catch, but it would have been a tough/great catch.

There was the one miss on the throw to the endzone, where he got tripped up by the CB's feet, so I don't put that one on Zay.

1 bad drop, no excuse

2 catches: one for a first down another for 7 tough yards in the redzone.

When you actually look at the plays, he didn't have 7 drops, he had 1 drop and one contested play that maybe he could have made. It wasn't as bad as 2 of 9 appears.

Edited by folz

Someone on the equipment staff needs to remedy this situation. It's that damn "11" jersey number. From Norwood on, the number eleven has been a reoccurring nightmare:

Norwood

Rob Johnson

Bledsoe

Roscoe Parrish

TJ Graham

now Jones. The number is cursed. It's a pox on the team and the player who dons it!

Edited by RussellDopeland

From what I could see, he caught 2 of 9 targets...which doesn't look great, but...

4 passes were completely uncatchable/no where near him (bad throws by Tyrod due to pressure or whatever)

1 catch on the sideline where he was draped by a CB, could have made the catch, but it would have been a tough/great catch.

There was the one miss on the throw to the endzone, where he got tripped up by the CB's feet, so I don't put that one on Zay.

1 bad drop, no excuse

When you actually look at the plays, he didn't have 7 drops, he had 1 drop and one contested play that maybe he could have made. It wasn't as bad as 2 of 9 appears.

exactly, i will grant you enlightened status. a rare honor here.

Someone on the equipment staff needs to remedy this situation. It's that damn "11" jersey number. From Norwood on, the number eleven has been a reoccurring nightmare:

Norwood

Rob Johnson

Bledsoe

Roscoe Parrish

TJ Graham

now Jones. The number is cursed. It's a pox on the team and the player who dons it!

oh god, the humanity, this must be it! good get.

1 bad drop, no excuse

There is more to being a good WR than catching the ball.........gotta' get off the line, run good routes and maintain body control before you get to catch a football..........and those things have been as big of a problem........or more.......than the drops.

The infamous drop at the end of the Carolina game was a very difficult grab because he stumbled out of his break and ran the route woefully short.

Everyone in the Bills organization knows it........but there are a few Tyrod haters on TSW and other social media that refuse the truth.

There is more to being a good WR than catching the ball.........gotta' get off the line, run good routes and maintain body control before you get to catch a football..........and those things have been as big of a problem........or more.......than the drops.

The infamous drop at the end of the Carolina game was a very difficult grab because he stumbled out of his break and ran the route woefully short.

Everyone in the Bills organization knows it........but there are a few Tyrod haters on TSW and other social media that refuse the truth.

I grant you your point...but he is a rookie from a small school in his 6th game. Of course he is still working/struggling on doing some of those things consistently at the pro level. I just think we need to have some patience with him. I only wanted to point out to those who may have complained about drops in this particular game that it was really just one bad drop. You still don't want that, but it wasn't as bad as 2 of 9 seems. I really think this kid will come around.

And I'm a fan of Tyrod and Zay. They are Buffalo Bills. I want all of our players to succeed. It's ok to talk about where they need to improve or if they should get more or less playing time, etc., but If they're happy to be a Bill and working hard, I'm rooting for them.

Edited by folz

I grant you your point...but he is a rookie from a small school in his 6th game. Of course he is still working/struggling on doing some of those things consistently at the pro level. I just think we need to have some patience with him. I only wanted to point out to those who may have complained about drops in this particular game that it was really just one bad drop. You still don't want that, but it wasn't as bad as 2 of 9 seems. I really think this kid will come around.

And I'm a fan of Tyrod and Zay. They are Buffalo Bills. I want all of our players to succeed. It's ok to talk about where they need to improve or if they should get more or less playing time, etc., but If they're happy to be a Bill and working hard, I'm rooting for them.

I understand your point, and I'm not saying 2/9 is entirely on Zay, but 2/9 is definitely exactly what it looks like. Looking through your other post you've got 3 passes that were on Zay, and he caught 2 of them. 2 incidental contact of some kind, and 4 uncatchable. Tyrod was 18/24 to everyone else. So following your observations, why is it that half of Tyrod's misses were to Zay, on a significantly smaller sample mind you?

I understand your point, and I'm not saying 2/9 is entirely on Zay, but 2/9 is definitely exactly what it looks like. Looking through your other post you've got 3 passes that were on Zay, and he caught 2 of them. 2 incidental contact of some kind, and 4 uncatchable. Tyrod was 18/24 to everyone else. So following your observations, why is it that half of Tyrod's misses were to Zay, on a significantly smaller sample mind you?

So is 3 -16 when trailing by 4 or more points.

:nana::beer::beer:

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

It is curious though, right? That half of his 'bad throws' were to a single receiver on 1/4 of his overall passes?

I'm not saying Zay is not at fault on some of them. Look at the Zay thread where I posted pictures of him having to dive for a pass to catch it.

He was unable to catch a number of uncatchable balls. How many did he catch but ended up OOB because of where the ball was placed? I'd say 2 maybe 3 and one of them was in the EZ.

I'm not saying Zay is not at fault on some of them. Look at the Zay thread where I posted pictures of him having to dive for a pass to catch it.

He was unable to catch a number of uncatchable balls. How many did he catch but ended up OOB because of where the ball was placed? I'd say 2 maybe 3 and one of them was in the EZ.

But were they uncatchable because of the throw, or because he wasn't where he was supposed to be? Clearly the one deep shot was due to feet getting tangled (not really on either player).

6 games, 7 catches, lost one game, contributed to second loss, made zero big plays, street FA outshines him after 5 days of practice.

"No receiver is more pro ready than Zay Jones"