Mcdermott did the same thing to our offense as Rex did

Yeezus

We're in that honeymoon period where having one the worst offenses in the league, mind you, after scoring 24+ a game two years straight, is totally normal and acceptable.

Second worst scoring offense in the league. Trust that process.

Top of the league in defense but we havent won the Super Bowl yet so I guess its time to fire McD.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

with the defense. He changed everything. Instead of trying to keep the same scheme and fit our players around one that works he hired an OC that refuses to adapt to the players on our team and forced Tyrod to learn another new offense.

How on earth did this front office think it was a good idea to switch to a zone blocking scheme with the oline we have. None of those players are fit to play in this offense. Tyrod isn't a west coast offense QB, McCoy feeds off stretch runs not right up the middle.

If he had kept our scheme the same on offense we seriously could have competed for the playoffs this year. But injuries are mounting for the offense and McCoy is having the worst season of his career so far. Its going to hard to compete with Tyrod struggling to throw over 200 yards a game and getting sacked on almost every drive.

SO WHAT?!?!?!?! Rex didn't improve our offense like McDermott improved our defense!

Next draft and season they address the offense like they did the defense this season. You are obviously impatient as hell. Fixing this Whaley/Ryan mess TAKES TIME!!!!!!

At some point the Bills have to invest in coaches & coordinators while getting players the fit their scheme. You cannot turn all your starters over in one season. It will take a couple drafts and off seasons to get the players they want.

That is why the dumb asses should have left the O alone. It was not broken as much as the D.

Could have fixed the O next year after a playoff run in 2017.

Rex took a talented defensive roster and ruined it by force-feeding his scheme down their throats.

McDermott had significant talent removed from the offense prior to the season, leaving him with a crap QB and no one for him even to pretend to throw the ball to.

Completely different.

You think Beane traded away Watkins without McDermott's approval? At this point we don't even know who is making the personnel decisions. McDermott is responsible for signing Tolbert, Demarco,all while letting Woods and Goodwin go. You can spin it any way you want but McDermott is responsible for the demise of the offense so far.

Hopefully playing a string of teams with worse defenses will allow the offense to find its stride.

with the defense. He changed everything. Instead of trying to keep the same scheme and fit our players around one that works he hired an OC that refuses to adapt to the players on our team and forced Tyrod to learn another new offense.

How on earth did this front office think it was a good idea to switch to a zone blocking scheme with the oline we have. None of those players are fit to play in this offense. Tyrod isn't a west coast offense QB, McCoy feeds off stretch runs not right up the middle.

If he had kept our scheme the same on offense we seriously could have competed for the playoffs this year. But injuries are mounting for the offense and McCoy is having the worst season of his career so far. Its going to hard to compete with Tyrod struggling to throw over 200 yards a game and getting sacked on almost every drive.

Bad comparison. Our offense last year was 16th in the league. Our defense before Ryan came on was 4th. That ranking - 4th - was a lot better reason not to change than 16th was.

More, the main goal isn't competing for the playoffs this year. It's consistently competing for the Super Bowl. We have no idea yet how that will work out. It's a long-term thing.

The Bills offense wasn't particularly good last year. The run game was excellent but the offense was acceptable, not good, 16th in the league.

And yeah it'll be hard to compete with Tyrod struggling to throw over 200 yards a game and getting sacked a lot. But the record shows that's Tyrod. He's likely to average just around there. More if he throws a lot, maybe, but nobody seems to want that to happen.

Edited by Thurman#1

You think Beane traded away Watkins without McDermott's approval? At this point we don't even know who is making the personnel decisions. McDermott is responsible for signing Tolbert, Demarco,all while letting Woods and Goodwin go. You can spin it any way you want but McDermott is responsible for the demise of the offense so far.

Hopefully playing a string of teams with worse defenses will allow the offense to find its stride.

Demise?

I call it a rebirth.

It's not gonna happen overnight and I'm just fine with it. Two-three years to get it right is just what the doctor ordered.

That is why the dumb asses should have left the O alone. It was not broken as much as the D.

Could have fixed the O next year after a playoff run in 2017.

So you wanted them to go through the season without an offensive coordinator? Just let the players run Roman's and Lynn's offense by memory?

So you wanted them to go through the season without an offensive coordinator? Just let the players run Roman's and Lynn's offense by memory?

Would that really have been difficult at all?

Trying to figure out what a new coach (or any coach) thinks is pretty baffling to say the least ! They are suppose to be real smart people but when it comes to some common sense ways of thinking of certain things that seems to go out the window (a lot like politicians)

If Rex would have got off his high horse & just entrusted the D to Schwartz COMPLETELY he would probably made the play offs in his 2 years here especially seeing as while he was here the Bills had the top running game in the league , but that would have been to easy !!

Now with McD & company they have done just the opposite as the OP has said ! If they would just look at the 3 different pieces that makes up the team & see if they are doing well or really well as far as the offense was with the running game & just leave it alone or at least keep the former O line coach Kromer to work within the new offense but again that would have been to easy !!

I guess thats why we just need to stick to being fans !!

No it's not close. Rex took a successful defense and made it crap. McD took a crap defense and made it excellent. On offense Lynn took a HC'ing gig and Roman isn't coming back ever again.

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't a new HC (McD) have a major say on who comes in as the new OC when he gets a new job?

Bad comparison. Our offense last year was 16th in the league. Our defense before Ryan came on was 4th. That ranking - 4th - was a lot better reason not to change than 16th was.

More, the main goal isn't competing for the playoffs this year. It's consistently competing for the Super Bowl. We have no idea yet how that will work out. It's a long-term thing.

The Bills offense wasn't particularly good last year. The run game was excellent but the offense was acceptable, not good, 16th in the league.

And yeah it'll be hard to compete with Tyrod struggling to throw over 200 yards a game and getting sacked a lot. But the record shows that's Tyrod. He's likely to average just around there. More if he throws a lot, maybe, but nobody seems to want that to happen.

"Adequate" is one way to describe it..

Last year's O scored 46 TD's (not including defensive or ST TD's). The 2015 O scored 42 TD's.

The 2 years prior to that, under Marrone, the O scored around 30-31 TD's.

A few of the Gailey teams scored TD's in the mid to high 30's, but also gave up a great deal of turnovers. (Fitz threw 24 Ints one year).

I don't think a Jauron Era offense scored 30 TD's in a season, in at least 2, they scored TD's in the low 20's.

The 2002 team was close, but that lasted 8 games.

One year in the Flutie Era, they were close.

2 of the SB teams of the K Gun Era scored less TD's.

It scored more points than 6 of last year's playoff teams, and tied with the Steelers in points scored.

As an extra added bonus, the offense that scored more TD's in recent memory also set a franchise record for the fewest turnovers. And for the first time in recent memory, it finished in the top 10 in Redzone scoring.

But in logic only a Bills' fan can understand, the guy who increased the offense production from 30 TD's to 42 TD's gets fired, to cover up for an extremely .

And the offense that produces 46 TD's and few turnovers gets replaced by a 40 year old passing offense and a 20 year old, 3 play running game.

And contrary to popular belief, the "Gary Kubiak" offense doesn't really score more points than were produced last year. In its good years, it averages slightly less than what the Bills did last year. In bad years, it scores substantially less. And that's with Gary Kubiak calling the plays.

But you got your wish.

Right now, the Dennison offense is on track to score 22 TD's.

He has a ton of work to do to just get to "adequate".

It does get irritating swapping which side of the ball operates best.

Another argument to stick with this head coach and gm for at least 5 years for better or worse. Can't keep chasing change, although I can forsee an OC change

Edited by ddaryl

Rarely do defensive minded coaches have teams that are offensive juggernauts, but I think what may prove to be McD's undoing down the road (in addition to sticking with taylor) is hiring Dennison and running a play not to lose type offense.

This is still an offensive driven league and has been proven time and time again when the contenders separate themselves from the pretenders.

Rarely do defensive minded coaches have teams that are offensive juggernauts, but I think what may prove to be McD's undoing down the road (in addition to sticking with taylor) is hiring Dennison and running a play not to lose type offense.

This is still an offensive driven league and has been proven time and time again when the contenders separate themselves from the pretenders.

OMFG

and over and over and over and over

Yolo has been all over McProcesses lack of poker face. He seemed very on board with the Sammy Transaction as a tough decision that best for the team.

They basically replaced two starters with two other starters and got some draft picks to boot.

Thus far, aside from all the imaginary projection of what would have been, the results and production of the respective players have been on par.

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

Lynn bounced for a HC gig, not sure what offensive coordinators were out there that ran a system similar to what Roman and Lynn were running. I think new coaching staffs like to implement their systems and they fill in the talent they need (Which requires more cap dollars and draft picks) it might not be the wisest decision but coaches simply go with what they know how to do and who they feel comfortable with.

What was his other option?

Anthony Lynn left for LA and so did Aaron Kromer. Kromer' contract was up with the Bills. From what I've heard they did try to keep him and that both Buffalo and LA made a strong push for him but he wanted to go to LA.

We know McDermott went after Mike McCoy as his 1st choice for OC. Then it was rumored that he went after Brad Childress and Greg Olsen. I don't know if he offered Olsen the job but I read Childress turned him down to stay in KC.

Then he finally landed on Dennison.

I am not even sure how much is Dennison's fault. Juan Castillo is the O line coach and run game coordinator. I have heard McDermott credit him with putting together the run scheme multiple times.

It's not like our offense didn't need improvement. We were last in the NFL as a passing offense and we struggled to move the ball at key times during games as well as against tough opponents.

Dennison doesn't have a whole lot to work with at the moment either.

You can blame the front office for switching to a zone blocking scheme though. The front office staff wasn't even hired yet when this coaching staff was hired. I believe Shaley was still here at that time.

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't a new HC (McD) have a major say on who comes in as the new OC when he gets a new job?

I couldn't tell you. But McD is a defensive guy, and even if he hired Dennison, he was probably sold on Dennison's vision of how to improve the offense, and TT in particular They gave it a go the first 5 games and I seriously hope they go back to what worked last year, but I'm not expecting it.

And I don't know if you can just add a new OC and expect to pickup where things left off anyway. Both Roman and Lynn are gone and they're not coming back soon, if ever.

"Adequate" is one way to describe it..

Last year's O scored 46 TD's (not including defensive or ST TD's). The 2015 O scored 42 TD's.

The 2 years prior to that, under Marrone, the O scored around 30-31 TD's.

A few of the Gailey teams scored TD's in the mid to high 30's, but also gave up a great deal of turnovers. (Fitz threw 24 Ints one year).

I don't think a Jauron Era offense scored 30 TD's in a season, in at least 2, they scored TD's in the low 20's.

The 2002 team was close, but that lasted 8 games.

One year in the Flutie Era, they were close.

2 of the SB teams of the K Gun Era scored less TD's.

It scored more points than 6 of last year's playoff teams, and tied with the Steelers in points scored.

As an extra added bonus, the offense that scored more TD's in recent memory also set a franchise record for the fewest turnovers. And for the first time in recent memory, it finished in the top 10 in Redzone scoring.

But in logic only a Bills' fan can understand, the guy who increased the offense production from 30 TD's to 42 TD's gets fired, to cover up for an extremely .

And the offense that produces 46 TD's and few turnovers gets replaced by a 40 year old passing offense and a 20 year old, 3 play running game.

And contrary to popular belief, the "Gary Kubiak" offense doesn't really score more points than were produced last year. In its good years, it averages slightly less than what the Bills did last year. In bad years, it scores substantially less. And that's with Gary Kubiak calling the plays.

But you got your wish.

Right now, the Dennison offense is on track to score 22 TD's.

He has a ton of work to do to just get to "adequate".

Seems like you're a big fan of Anthony Lynn and believe that if we kept him our offense would be excellent.

The chargers are currently 23rd in the NFL in scoring and they have significant weapons at QB, RB, WR, TE, and a strong offensive line.

...and I bet you we wouldn't have a top 5 defense if your boy Lynn was still around.

So, either you haven't been paying attention to San Diego's performance... or you think we should have hired Greg Roman to be head coach to keep our offense "in tact."

Edited by Rigotz