Mcdermott did the same thing to our offense as Rex did

Yeezus

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was no way to keep our old offense.

This is what we said about the defense when we hired Rex.

Didnt we fire Roman during the season and the offense got better?

If you compare the full season with him vs without, we got slightly worse.

Edited by Elite Poster

If you compare the full season with him vs without, we got slightly worse.

That's not what I said.

We fired the OC responsible for the 2015 and 2016 offense in September. Because of the owners. I don't think he was going to accept a job back with us.

except that rex truly was a stupid decision and a mistake. This should have been known to the front office after watching him flame out with the Jets. But he was the 'big Name' flashy move that would get people talking about the team.

They actually seem like they found someone now who know what they are doing, or at least habe a real plan they are going to stick to with a goal of building a team, instead of just trying to find a place for his brother to work....

That's not what I said.

We fired the OC responsible for the 2015 and 2016 offense in September. Because of the owners. I don't think he was going to accept a job back with us.

i remember a lot of people complaining about Roman and his offence last year and couldn't wait for the bills to get rid of him. Now he should be brought back as a saviour for this offence? I don't remember his offence being much better then they are right now with him running it....

Year after year, and new coach after new coach, it's the same thing: They implement their own schemes, make one unit much better, and the other, worse.

Seems we always have either a D or O that performs at a playoff caliber and the other that doesn't.

Bottom line, we had an offense in the top 12 last year that moved the chains. It worked, and was fun to watch to boot. I don't know if it's arrogance or just lack of knowledge, but we need to hire coordinators that can -- and will -- adapt to meet players' skillsets.

It's difficult to envision this offense becoming playoff caliber this year. To make matters worse, we dismantled our wide receiver core and jettisoned a great backup RB, and never addressed the hemorrhage adequately. Our D is lights out. By the time our O catches up, I fear, it'll be time to dismantle the D again. Hopefully, with this new crew, our endless rinse and repeat cycle ends. In the meantime, I fail to see how this O can be anything but putrid.

Edited by Just in Atlanta

Year after year, and new coach after new coach, it's the same thing: They implement their own schemes, make one unit much better, and the other, worse.

Seems we always have either a D or O that performs at a playoff caliber and the other that doesn't.

Bottom line, we had an offense in the top 12 last year that moved the chains. It worked, and was fun to watch to boot. I don't know if it's arrogance or just lack of knowledge, but we need to hire coordinators that can -- and will -- adapt to meet players' skillsets.

It's difficult to envision this offense becoming playoff caliber this year. To make matters worse, we dismantled our wide receiver core and jettisoned a great backup RB, and never addressed the hemorrhage adequately. Our D is lights out. By the time our O catches up, I fear, it'll be time to dismantle the D again. Hopefully, with this new crew, our endless rinse and repeat cycle ends. In the meantime, I fail to see how this O can be anything but putrid.

Tough to blame McDermott for this. It was Roman's system, yet Roman was already fired. You really think Roman was coming back here to be the OC again after getting fired four months prior?

Anthony Lynn landed a HC job with the Chargers. So obviously he was off the table.

I guess they could have promoted Kromer to OC but maybe McDermott didn't feel comfortable giving a grown man who throws lawn chairs at kids a big role on his coaching staff.

Edited by Wayne Arnold

Rex took a talented defensive roster and ruined it by force-feeding his scheme down their throats.

McDermott had significant talent removed from the offense prior to the season, leaving him with a crap QB and no one for him even to pretend to throw the ball to.

Completely different.

except that rex truly was a stupid decision and a mistake. This should have been known to the front office after watching him flame out with the Jets. But he was the 'big Name' flashy move that would get people talking about the team.

They actually seem like they found someone now who know what they are doing, or at least habe a real plan they are going to stick to with a goal of building a team, instead of just trying to find a place for his brother to work....

i remember a lot of people complaining about Roman and his offence last year and couldn't wait for the bills to get rid of him. Now he should be brought back as a saviour for this offence? I don't remember his offence being much better then they are right now with him running it....

Weren't we top 12 in points with the number 1 run game with Roman?

You don't remember that being better than the abortion we're trotting out there now?

Edited by jmc12290

How on earth did this front office think it was a good idea to switch to a zone blocking scheme with the oline we have. None of those players are fit to play in this offense. Tyrod isn't a west coast offense QB, McCoy feeds off stretch runs not right up the middle.

You do realize stretch is a zone blocking run concept, correct?

McD coaches defense and he improved that unit, unlike Rex. As for offense, Lynn left to become HC of the Chargers. If you want to blame anyone, blame Dennison.

McD coached defense and not very well might I add . He should count his lucky stars that he hired that he hired a real Defensive Coordinator with a long track record of success in Leslie Frasier sorry McD don't get credit for what Leslie Frasier has done

Garbage time.

It has nothing to do with garbage time. 5 of the 7 games of 28 or more points were wins. No garbage time. 1 of the 2 losses was the Miami game which had no garbage time. The sole remaining loss of those 7 games was the Jets game in which it was 27-24 at the end of the third quarter. The Jets went on a roll after that scoring twice more. We had two opportunities in the 4th. Scored on one bringing it back to within one score. Maybe at best you can count 1 TD as garbage time. I wouldn't.

We're in that honeymoon period where having one the worst offenses in the league, mind you, after scoring 24+ a game two years straight, is totally normal and acceptable.

Second worst scoring offense in the league. Trust that process.

Edited by Elite Poster

We're in that honeymoon period where having one the worst offenses in the league, mind you, after scoring 24+ a game two years straight, is totally normal and acceptable.

Second worst scoring offense in the league. Trust that process.

3-2.