I'm Surprised by Zay Jones' Slow Start

26CornerBlitz

The TD pass that he tipped in the air and Holmes grabbed it is also a drop.

Yep. That one probably not as blatant a drop as the other three I mentioned (I'd have to look at it again) but definitely in the realm of a dropped catch. It was definitely a pass that you would expect and NFL receiver to hang on to more often than not is one way you could put it.

Zay Jones needs an attitude change. The guy is too timid and not hungry enough. He gets everything handed to him because he was a McDermott pick. If this same production happened with someone from the old regime, he would have been traded for a late round pick already.

There is some truth to this sadly.

Yep. That one probably not as blatant a drop as the other three I mentioned (I'd have to look at it again) but definitely in the realm of a dropped catch. It was definitely a pass that you would expect and NFL receiver to hang on to more often than not is one way you could put it.

There is some truth to this sadly.

post-26967-0-63163700-1509288646_thumb.jpg

Edited by Scott7975

What point are you trying to make with this statement? We already know what the coaches opinion is. They are going to let him play through it. I expect him to get 5-6+ targets easily. Let's hope for the best.

If the coaches share the same opinion as some here they would not let him have any targets. Unless wining is not important to them.

If the coaches share the same opinion as some here they would not let him have any targets. Unless wining is not important to them.

If that were the case he wouldn't be on the field at all.

I'm for that, but know the coaches are not. It is what it is. Let's hope Zay can pull though. An argument can definitely be made that fielding a player with a 21% completion rate is not helping the Bills win now. The idea is that letting Zay work through his struggles will help the Bills win later either late in the year or next season.

If that were the case he wouldn't be on the field at all.

I'm for that, but know the coaches are not. It is what it is. Let's hope Zay can pull though. An argument can definitely be made that fielding a player with a 21% completion rate is not helping the Bills win now. The idea is that letting Zay work through his struggles will help the Bills win later either late in the year or next season.

I will call BS on the idea that the coaches will compromise their chances to win today for a better future. Coaches made it clear its open competition for playing time, I believe them.

I will call BS on the idea that the coaches will compromise their chances to win today for a better future. Coaches made it clear its open competition for playing time, I believe them.

Why do you believe that? Sometimes players only get better by playing on the field. Zay's likely not struggling in practice.

I guess we will see if Zay's snap count goes down. Possible with the emergence of Thompson and Matthews in his second game back from injury.

I guess we will see if Zay's snap count goes down. Possible with the emergence of Thompson and Matthews in his second game back from injury.

With the weather today I would expect a ground and pound game plan with limited 3 WR sets. Mathews is the clear #1 and with Thompsons big game last week I dont see the coaches letting Jones get targets if they thought he could not catch. Unless the tanking theory surfaces again.

The FO should cut their losses and put this guy on the PS already..........they won't get anything if they shop him around and he's is doing nothing for this team.

Yet another solid draft choice....................................................................................................................................rolls eyes.

The Zay haters will say he only caught 3 of 5 targets, and the one he should have been able to stay in with. The other throw away he could have jumped to catch.

I know the stats are wrong and inaccurate.

My only complaint is once Zay got it going yesterday we actually stopped throwing to him.

I would have kept targeting him until the Raiders stopped it

My only complaint is once Zay got it going yesterday we actually stopped throwing to him.

Yeah, it's like we made a point of going to him....then forgot.

Hopefully it was enough that he can build on it.

I'm with you on that John. They needed to keep feeding the beast so to speak but it was encouraging that Zay took baby steps yesterday and hope he continues to develop this season.

Yeah, it's like we made a point of going to him....then forgot.

Hopefully it was enough that he can build on it.

With a final score of 34-14, there's nothing to complain about in this regard. He'll have chances to make plays on TNF with a sense of confidence based on the game against OAK.

...agree....going to have to build his confidence....2 catches ;last week and 3 yesterday........BTW, how many yipsters had left Homes for dead anyway?....or expected TT to spread the wealth to nine guys?..........

Wide Receiver Zay Jones addressed the media inside the locker room topics include; playing in his first prime time game, run blocking, and the excitement building around this team.
@WGR550

Beane - Zay Jones is a good, young WR. He cares so much, no player wants to work as hard as he does. He will be fine #Bills

Zay Jones playing down first primetime game

For Zay Jones, tonight will be the first primetime game of his NFL career. But the rookie receiver, who makes it a point to stay grounded in the way he approaches his job, is trying to downplay the bright lights and exposure to a national audience tonight against the Jets.

“I won’t try to make it a bigger deal than what it is,” Jones said. “There will be more eyes, but I have the same job, just another game of football. It’ll be a fun time, but I’m not going to make more of it than it is.”
Coming off his most productive game on offense last week, Jones is just keeping an even keel with his emotions.
“I’m always building confidence each and every day,” Jones said. “I’ve got great timing with my quarterback and feel that groove in play, so my confidence is building and I’m working on that each and every day.
Let's go kid!