Whoa: A. Hernandez most severe case of CTE ever

Alphadawg7

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder how many times he got his head beat during street fights? Also, what's with the definitive link of CTE to murderous behavior? Why aren't people with other brain disorders such as Alzheimer's/Dementia going around committing mass crime? This doesn't add up. Every time a criminal NFL player commits a crime, it's now CTE.

CTE exacerbates things.

When a good guy gets CTE, he starts to get angry, depressed, forgetful, etc.

When someone like Hernandez gets CTE, he becomes murderous.

Edited by hondo in seattle

CTE exacerbates things.

Or he was a murderer to begin with?

It was my understanding that the symptoms associated with CTE don't appear until later in life.

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable

This will be the new Bills fan excuse when a Bill gets in trouble.

"It's not Marcell's fault he has CTE."

you got it that bad, huh.

there will be another one lined up at the whipping post soon enough. meanwhile, he's here for the remainder of the season no matter how hard it may be to stomach for you.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

CTE exacerbates things.

This is ridiculous. Its like saying if someone like Hernandez drinks alcohol he gets murderous. So lets sue Budweiser.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/21/health/aaron-hernandez-cte/index.html

http://www.tmz.com/2017/09/21/aaron-hernandezs-fiancee-sues-patriots-nfl-cte/

Wow, this is going to be interesting how things evolve from here. Aaron Hernandez found to have most severe case of CTE in a 27 year old ever found. Fiancé is suing the Patriots over this as well.

I have a feeling this is going to be a significant case moving forward and its going to be interesting to see how this plays out from both a liability stance regarding the team as well as how A. Hernandez the man is viewed. CTE has been shown to create violent and uncharacteristic behavior already, so going to be interesting to watch how this affects the view of Hernandez as well.

I'd imagine they have only examined so many 27 year old brains for CTE

CTE exacerbates things.

Where's the science on that?

Unless the NFL does something drastic, football will be dead in 30 years.

I agree. It only takes a single case where a school system or university is held liable, to kill the NFL. The league wouldn't have any players because schools won't dare risk being liabile.

The other route is if CTE can be detected in a living body and NFL owners are sued for knowingly employing brain damaged men in a sport where you take hits to the head.

I am a transplant living in CT and a friend here grew up in the same town (Bristol, CT) as A. Hernandez and his father knows/knew the Hernandez family. He (father) said that Hernandez was a good kid until his father, who was a strong influence and role model, passed away. He got in with the wrong crowd after that and it went downhill from there.

Many documentaries/news stories confirming that it seemed he fell in with gangs after losing dad

Wonder how many times he got his head beat during street fights? Also, what's with the definitive link of CTE to murderous behavior? Why aren't people with other brain disorders such as Alzheimer's/Dementia going around committing mass crime? This doesn't add up. Every time a criminal NFL player commits a crime, it's now CTE.

Give a bunch of steroid-addled 27 year olds Alzheimer's and there would absolutely be violent crimes committed.

Also, after asking my wife, who is a health care provider, elderly Alz patients do commit violent acts on a frequent basis. It's just that they're old, and less likely to do as much damage.

Edited by jimmy10

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/21/health/aaron-hernandez-cte/index.html

http://www.tmz.com/2017/09/21/aaron-hernandezs-fiancee-sues-patriots-nfl-cte/

Wow, this is going to be interesting how things evolve from here. Aaron Hernandez found to have most severe case of CTE in a 27 year old ever found. Fiancé is suing the Patriots over this as well.

I have a feeling this is going to be a significant case moving forward and its going to be interesting to see how this plays out from both a liability stance regarding the team as well as how A. Hernandez the man is viewed. CTE has been shown to create violent and uncharacteristic behavior already, so going to be interesting to watch how this affects the view of Hernandez as well.

Does it also cause running with Gangs since well before college?

I think CTE is real. The issue is all of the things that we blame it for.

I totally agree. CTE might have very well been a contributing factor in Hernandez's suicide, but the link between his playing in the NFL and CTE is limited I think. He only played in 38 games in three seasons, 2010-2012. He was allegedly involved in gang activity before he became an NFL player, and he was involved in gang activity while an NFL player. He also played HS and collegiate football. Finally, he may have also been in fights while in prison. He could have suffered concussions during any or all of those activities. There's no way to tell when CTE began to affect him -- or if it had, Maybe his suicide was linked to CTE but it might just have easily have been simply his inability to face life in prison. At least suicide is a recognized danger for individuals who suffer from CTE. Premediated murder involving the drug trade isn't.

CTE exacerbates things.

I don't think there's evidence to support your last statement. Everything that I've heard/read about CTE (I have a brother who suffers from it because of a car wreck) is that it's much more likely to impair a person's judgement than to make him a murderer, which is what Hernandez was convicted of IIRC. A person suffering from CTE might very well be dangerous, but it's because he/she might fly into a rage or maybe become paranoid but he/she is unlikely to be moved to murder a couple people in order to further his/her drug business by CTE.

Maybe you could say that CTE might have lessened whatever inhibitions Hernandez had about murdering someone but I don't see how anybody could prove that. Hernandez wasn't a choir boy, although he originally had that image.

I totally agree. CTE might have very well been a contributing factor in Hernandez's suicide, but the link between his playing in the NFL and CTE is limited I think. He only played in 38 games in three seasons, 2010-2012. He was allegedly involved in gang activity before he became an NFL player, and he was involved in gang activity while an NFL player. He also played HS and collegiate football. Finally, he may have also been in fights while in prison. He could have suffered concussions during any or all of those activities. There's no way to tell when CTE began to affect him -- or if it had, Maybe his suicide was linked to CTE but it might just have easily have been simply his inability to face life in prison. At least suicide is a recognized danger for individuals who suffer from CTE. Premediated murder involving the drug trade isn't.

I don't think there's evidence to support your last statement. Everything that I've heard/read about CTE (I have a brother who suffers from it because of a car wreck) is that it's much more likely to impair a person's judgement than to make him a murderer, which is what Hernandez was convicted of IIRC. A person suffering from CTE might very well be dangerous, but it's because he/she might fly into a rage or maybe become paranoid but he/she is unlikely to be moved to murder a couple people in order to further his/her drug business by CTE.

Maybe you could say that CTE might have lessened whatever inhibitions Hernandez had about murdering someone but I don't see how anybody could prove that. Hernandez wasn't a choir boy, although he originally had that image.

I agree. I suffered over 10 concussions playing football and I would say I suffer from momentary lapses of concentration and judgement.

I have a tendency to say anything that pops in my head whether I should say it or not

Wasn't he into gangs before he ever entered the NFL? CTE isn't an excuse for him being a murdering scumbag.

Exactly. Some people need to look for any reason to justify the behavior of sub-humans.

This is officially the first time ever I'm rooting for Kraft.