Los Angeles: Rams, Chargers, and USC

/dev/null

And how many cities have three 75,000 seat stadiums?

Very few if any. The response was to a question about whether there aren't any other stadiums to choose from in LA. I remember when the Bears lost Soldier Field for its renovations, they had to play down at the University of Illinois in Champaign-Urbana, over 100 miles away.

One thing that is unique about LA is that even with it's size there really aren't any mid-sized College Stadiums to choose from. After USC and UCLA, there isn't much else to speak of.

Very few if any. The response was to a question about whether there aren't any other stadiums to choose from in LA. I remember when the Bears lost Soldier Field for its renovations, they had to play down at the University of Illinois in Champaign-Urbana, over 100 miles away.

One thing that is unique about LA is that even with it's size there really aren't any mid-sized College Stadiums to choose from. After USC and UCLA, there isn't much else to speak of.

Yeah, I wasn't criticizing you... I was surprised people thought there should be a bunch of them. The Rams or the Chargers spoke with the Dodgers about making Dodger Stadium viable for football games. The Rams of course used to play in the same stadium the Angels played in. So there are two other area stadiums that could be a lot bigger than the 27,000 seat Stub Hub but wouldn't be ideal.

The NFL is declining, not only in LA but places like Jacksonville. Time to get rid of some teams. If they move to London, you will see this same effect. In fact, the Raiders are about to be in for wake up call when they move to Las Vegas and the crowds aren't there.

Declining? Bills value has doubled in 5 years. NFL revenue has doubled. Fans just have more ways to watch and follow their teams.

Different area, different market. $20 parking in say, Toronto is generally quite a distance from wherever you are going if you find it at all.

people have a conniption fit when they have to pay $20 for the whole day visiting Toronto

I'm in the minority that actually thinks the Raiders will do well in LV. Tons of visitors every day to that town. I don't think they will be thought of as a Pro Sports team rather than an attraction to see like Blue Man Group or 2 Moes 1 Tiger.

I agree but how many Raiders fans will be there?

Declining? Bills value has doubled in 5 years. NFL revenue has doubled. Fans just have more ways to watch and follow their teams.

I think the leagues best days are behind them, despite the glowing value reports. When you get down to it, all that is is an opinion by some writer. We'll see what the next franchise actually sells for.

One of my ex-bosses had a saying that stuck with me. "Pigs get fat. Hogs get slaughtered."

Edited by PromoTheRobot

There really aren't any other stadiums in the LA Basin. The only other stadiums are the Coliseum, where the Rams already play, and the Rose Bowl, which is very particular about who they allow due to its location on a golf course in a residential area. (presently only UCLA calls the Rose Bowl home).

Believe it or not, there are no other options.

Didnt the Rams play in the LA Angel's stadium.. whatever it is called, before they left?

I agree but how many Raiders fans will be there?

I think the leagues best days are behind them, despite the glowing value reports. When you get down to it, all that is is an opinion by some writer. We'll see what the next franchise actually sells for.

One of my ex-bosses had a saying that stuck with me. "Pigs get fat. Hogs get slaughtered."

No, it's not an opinion. The NFL had $13 billion in revenues last year and on track for $14 billion this year.

We will have to wait and see if TV deals decline in the future. If that happens then alarms will go off. I doubt it happens. NFL is still king of ratings. TV ratings in general are down for many TV programs.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

I'm in the minority that actually thinks the Raiders will do well in LV. Tons of visitors every day to that town. I don't think they will be thought of as a Pro Sports team rather than an attraction to see like Blue Man Group or 2 Moes 1 Tiger.

You are right. I think the stadium will be sold out for every game for years. But not with Raiders fans. And possibly without people. This means that all the season tickets will always sell out. But whether people sit in the seats is another question. My family will put in for the lottery for season tickets and if they get them, they wil sell the tickets or give them to out of town friends most of the time. That's how Vegas is. Conventions, tourist parties, etc.

The worst part about the Chargers game is that of the people who did go, they were half Miami fans. The players seemed embarrassed. There was a huge cheer when they missed the FG.

The stadium set off the fireworks, too.

The crazy thing is people actually agreed to pay it.

Carpool...

The NFL is declining, not only in LA but places like Jacksonville. Time to get rid of some teams. If they move to London, you will see this same effect. In fact, the Raiders are about to be in for wake up call when they move to Las Vegas and the crowds aren't there.

An 8 game schedule in London would be interesting. I believe that in 2018 the NFL is contractually obliged to play 5 games here..... 2 at Wembley, 2 at the new Tottenham stadium and 1 at Twickenham.

The move to Tottenham is interesting because it is 60,000 capacity unlike Wembley and Twickers which are 80,000 plus. I don't think the NFL could sell Wembley 8 times a year.... Tottenham? I absolutely believe they could based on the continued strong sales for 4 games 10 years plus into the experiement and with novelty value worn off.

The issue in London will less be about selling the games and more I think about building a partisan fan base. I know a lot of folks who go to the games.... I only know 2 Jags fans and one of those long pre-dates the London games. People go to see live NFL football but they still support the Patriots, the 49ers, the Giants, the Dolphins etc...