Jerry Jones Impeding Contract Extension for Roger Goodell - Extension Officially Signed

26CornerBlitz

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 11:29 PM, billsfan89 said:

Goodell directly handled the Ray Rice and Anthem situations poorly to say the least. And both of those mistakes have cost the league dearly in recent years and is resulting in a ratings dip. Decades of ratings growth and now the ratings slow down after two very bad PR disasters? Also the general overexposure of the product can be attributed to the recent ratings dip. Revenue is coming from newly inked TV deals that were made when the product was more popular. The NFL's product might not attract an insane price for its TV deals that expire over the next decade if ratings continue to disappoint.

They need to turn around the recent ratings slump quickly and the person to do that isn't the guy that made all the mistakes that got you into this mess.

I think an article in the WSJ last week did a good job debunking the anthem stuff as the cause for ratings drops.  it's overexposure, as you also stated.  Ray Rice was a news cycle that is long dead with little lasting effect.

Was Goodell the one who said what a great guy Rice was after that first video came out?  Was Goodell the one who said players "WILL STAND" for the anthem?  DId he also say that the inmates shouldn't be running the prison?  Nope--these were the comments of the men who employ him to take the fall for their decisions.

Jones is taking a huge risk---he has no more voting power than the other rich men in the room and he will likely alienate all of them with this legal maneuvering in public.  There are other strong personalities in that group that will not take well to public announcements of Jerry possibly suing them personally.

As for MLB,  the recent WS average ratings were lower than last season and the game 7 numbers were way down. from last year.  The rating for Game 7 of this year's WS (which was, by far, the most watched game) equaled the average of all televised NFL games through 6 weeks.  So, even with a 7.5% drop from last year, the average NFL game drew as many viewers as the pinnacle game of the entire MLB season in a much hyped "classic" World Series.

The MLB is dead.  NHL is dead. NFL is the money bet for broadcasters still, by far.

• Jerrah is located in a part of the country where the anthem protests probably do impact his attendance, and he has a LOT of seats to fill.
  • Roger is giving Jerrah's star RB a hard time when the charges have already been dropped.
  • Jerrah and Trump are [butt] buddies.

The math on this one is simple.

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I think an article in the WSJ last week did a good job debunking the anthem stuff as the cause for ratings drops.  it's overexposure, as you also stated.  Ray Rice was a news cycle that is long dead with little lasting effect.

Was Goodell the one who said what a great guy Rice was after that first video came out?  Was Goodell the one who said players "WILL STAND" for the anthem?  DId he also say that the inmates shouldn't be running the prison?  Nope--these were the comments of the men who employ him to take the fall for their decisions.

Jones is taking a huge risk---he has no more voting power than the other rich men in the room and he will likely alienate all of them with this legal maneuvering in public.  There are other strong personalities in that group that will not take well to public announcements of Jerry possibly suing them personally.

As for MLB,  the recent WS average ratings were lower than last season and the game 7 numbers were way down. from last year.  The rating for Game 7 of this year's WS (which was, by far, the most watched game) equaled the average of all televised NFL games through 6 weeks.  So, even with a 7.5% drop from last year, the average NFL game drew as many viewers as the pinnacle game of the entire MLB season in a much hyped "classic" World Series.

The MLB is dead.  NHL is dead. NFL is the money bet for broadcasters still, by far.

Good to see you back homie!

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Someone said that you were banned.   I guess they were wrong.  

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Nice to see you back Weo !

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Someone said that you were banned.   I guess they were wrong.  

They are partially correct.  My TBD addiction was getting the better of me.  It was good to have to step away, but better to be back.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 3rdand12 said:

Nice to see you back Weo !

Thanks!  Good to see you and the group as well.  Lot's of great stuff happened/happening in Bills country this year!

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Self regulation is a good thing 

Not entirely "self", but the mods were very generous in my reinstatement.  This place can be addicting--and we all get into it with the team and sometimes eachother and that's part of such a fan board....but was good to clear my head a bit!

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

This is a bigger deal than it may seem.  What Jerry is doing could threaten the entire system - parity, the salary cap, etc.  I wonder if this is just his first salvo with an eye toward all of that.  He probably resents that he just gets one vote despite a larger market share.  I’m very curious to see how this plays out, especially with the collective bargaining agreement coming up for renegotiation.  And I can’t help but keep thinking about Mark Cuban’s “pigs get slaughtered” comment.  The NFL as we know it may be coming to an end soon...

.......very interesting assessment......there has to be a PERSONAL benefit first and foremost.....he's always hated the parity and revenue sharing ideas......and if he causes the big tent to collapse, I'd love watching Cowgirls market value go from $4.2 BIL to zero in a nanosecond.............

Jerry Jones - Roger Goodell is a great guy and we need to band together to sign him to a long extension, he is great to all you owners and the league

Jerry is then informed of Elliots possible suspension

Jerry Jones - Roger Goodell is evil and ruining football, we need him removed immediately and everyone is being lied to!

Jerrah's got a beef with Goodell. To the post I've read saying things like Ralph would set him straight, Goodell is doing great etc I think you're misguided. Ralph would not and Goodell certainly is not.

Ratings are starting to tank and more and more teams may see less and less people in the stands, parents are stopping their kids from playing the game, Bob Costas saying the end is near for the game of football, (he's a little douche by the way) so many mishandled events by Goodell and this is starting to impact the bottom line.

Tim and Kerry are next up to build a new playpen with all this going on. Great time to be an owner of an NFL team I guess right? The devil you know in this case represent both sides of owners vs Goodell. Get him out. So I see this as a pick em lol.

13 minutes ago, beerme1 said:

Jerrah's got a beef with Goodell. To the post I've read saying things like Ralph would set him straight, Goodell is doing great etc I think you're misguided. Ralph would not and Goodell certainly is not.

Ratings are starting to tank and more and more teams may see less and less people in the stands, parents are stopping their kids from playing the game, Bob Costas saying the end is near for the game of football, (he's a little douche by the way) so many mishandled events by Goodell and this is starting to impact the bottom line.

Tim and Kerry are next up to build a new playpen with all this going on. Great time to be an owner of an NFL team I guess right? The devil you know in this case represent both sides of owners vs Goodell. Get him out. So I see this as a pick em lol.

You mean Kim and Terry, as in the Pegulas?  I wouldn't be in a hurry to build a new stadium if I was in their position.  If I were an owner, I would not support renewing Goodell's contract.  He's just about killed the goose that laid the golden egg.  Time for a new Commissioner.

6 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

You mean Kim and Terry, as in the Pegulas?  I wouldn't be in a hurry to build a new stadium if I was in their position.  If I were an owner, I would not support renewing Goodell's contract.  He's just about killed the goose that laid the golden egg.  Time for a new Commissioner.

Ha ha ha yes them too lol But I agree with you about needing to replace Goodell. He's affecting the game now and the owners will wake up to it at some point. Will it be too late?

28 minutes ago, beerme1 said:

Ha ha ha yes them too lol But I agree with you about needing to replace Goodell. He's affecting the game now and the owners will wake up to it at some point. Will it be too late?

31 of the owners are waking up to the fact that Goodell isn't their main problem.

Jones has overplayed his hand.  We will now see the real power of the owners exercised.

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

31 of the owners are waking up to the fact that Goodell isn't their main problem.

Jones has overplayed his hand.  We will now see the real power of the owners exercised.

I can't disagree with you that JJ has overplayed his hand but at the same time maybe some owners are waking up to the fact that Goodell while not their main problem is a large contributing factor and they need a change now.

all the owners, including jerrah,  unanimously granted the Compensation Committee the authority in May to negotiate and finalize a five-year extension. that ship has sailed. he had his vote

the ranking senior owner got put in his place by Arthur blank.

I'm in the camp of.. if jerrry wants him gone then I want Goodell to stay.

I don't trust Jerry's vision for the future of this sport, and i agree with coach tuesday's comment above....

Whatever Jerry wants won't bode well for smaller markets or the NFL as a whole IMO

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

I don't trust Jerry's vision for the future of this sport, and i agree with coach tuesday's comment above....

Whatever Jerry wants won't bode well for smaller markets or the NFL as a whole IMO

Agree. I think Goodell sucks but Jones is a money grubbing scumbag.  He wants total power. He never complained about Roger until Elliott.  

Stick to signing women beaters Jerry.  It’s what you are good at.  

29 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Isn't the ideas that each owner gets 1 vote?

So if you vote and don't like it you sue to force everyone else to accept your will?

That is how big of an ego Jerry has.  He probably also believes women find his plastic face attractive. Total delusion. 

54 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Well said. Jones is a reprehensible person.