What's going on with ESPN and the NFL?

What bothers me most about ESPN is the same complaint I have about CNN and FOX: 24/7 sports (news) coverage is not practical so they almost have to go out of their way to dramatize everything in order to justify their existence. Instead of just showing me unadulterated sports or news, they need to tell me and show me how i should feel about sports or news. Its blipping nauseating.

^ this and this

Coverage/highlights are all about ESPN's agreements with the different leagues.

• They have a decent agreement with the NBA, so it doesnt cost them an arm and a leg to get highlight clips, and we get a lot of NBA coverage.
  • They obviously have a great deal with College Football, broadcast most of the games, so we get a ton of College Football coverage.
  • The NFL jacked up their costs a few years back, to give the advantage to their own station, the NFL Network. ESPN gets less highlight clips, so therefore can't play as many on air. Remember on Sunday nights how Berman and Tommy would go through a good 10-15 plays each game? No way they can afford all that coverage now, so they don't do it.
  • They have little to no agreement with the NHL, who made their deal with NBC/NBCSports, so we see almost zero hockey coverage.

Each league/sport has a different deal in place, and they dictate the amount of coverage each league gets. NFL priced themselves out a while back for NFLN, that's the main reason we've seen such a drop in quality NFL coverage on the channel.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's operating under the assumption that ESPN is proactive instead of reactive. They aren't. Ratings were declining when they were still in the "good old days" people are yearning for here. Bottom line, the internet and social media has changed everything, if something spectacular happens, twitter or an other form of media let you know and watch it immediately after it happened. The days of people in New York not seeing what happened in Miami until the 11 o'clock SportsCenter are long gone and not coming back.

This is the most accurate reason imo. I remember the only way to see if the Yankees won in the summer if I missed the game in the mid 90's was to watch the bottom ticker on ESPN. I didn't feel like buying a 6 hour VHS tape and recording it. Now you just DVR it. The only way to see highlights was to wait until Sportscenter aired. Now I go on facebook and NFL Network posts all of Deshaun Watson's plays on Thursday Night on my timeline. Besides the actual games they air, ESPN will eventually become the Blockbuster video company of sports.

What bothers me most about ESPN is the same complaint I have about CNN and FOX: 24/7 sports (news) coverage is not practical so they almost have to go out of their way to dramatize everything in order to justify their existence. Instead of just showing me unadulterated sports or news, they need to tell me and show me how i should feel about sports or news. Its blipping nauseating.

Agree

Coverage/highlights are all about ESPN's agreements with the different leagues.

• They have a decent agreement with the NBA, so it doesnt cost them an arm and a leg to get highlight clips, and we get a lot of NBA coverage.
  • They obviously have a great deal with College Football, broadcast most of the games, so we get a ton of College Football coverage.
  • The NFL jacked up their costs a few years back, to give the advantage to their own station, the NFL Network. ESPN gets less highlight clips, so therefore can't play as many on air. Remember on Sunday nights how Berman and Tommy would go through a good 10-15 plays each game? No way they can afford all that coverage now, so they don't do it.
  • They have little to no agreement with the NHL, who made their deal with NBC/NBCSports, so we see almost zero hockey coverage.

Each league/sport has a different deal in place, and they dictate the amount of coverage each league gets. NFL priced themselves out a while back for NFLN, that's the main reason we've seen such a drop in quality NFL coverage on the channel.

Don't explain how business works in this country! How dare you with your PC crap!!!

Edited by Elite Poster

Really, if "sports news" is what one is looking for - and ONLY what one wants - then I think following the right people on Twitter would fit the bill.

Even Bills news. I "like/follow" their FB page (like I'm sure most of us do) and I get those little pop up alerts when anything happens or is announced.

Following Schefter for football or Olney for MLB will get you the latest news as it happens.

It used to be that we would watch Sportscenter for the same reason we would watch the 6pm news. That's where we found **** out for the first time.

It's simply not necessary anymore and, in this world of instant gratification, finding something out hours after it happens is no longer considered "news."

When you are at top forever, where is is there to go? And who is really coming close to challenging ESPN? Garbage FS1 & their band of idiots & ESPN rejects?

College Gameday is great. So is PTI. So is 30 for 30. And yup, they have so bad programming. So guess what? Don't watch it. Our country has become the country of whiners.

You people and your ESPN. Back in my younger days, we didn't have cable, lived too far out in the country, and there's no way my Dad would have a BUD (big ugly dish) in his yard. We had The George Michael Sports Machine, once a week, at 11:30pm on Sundays! And we like it!

When you are at top forever, where is is there to go? And who is really coming close to challenging ESPN? Garbage FS1 & their band of idiots & ESPN rejects?

College Gameday is great. So is PTI. So is 30 for 30. And yup, they have so bad programming. So guess what? Don't watch it. Our country has become the country of whiners.

The 30 for 30s are the best thing they have going now IMO. Back the day they had some great anchors that were a breath of fresh air compared to everyone else out there. Now it seems like everyone goes out of their way to be witty and over the top and end up falling flat....im even getting sick of the Lebotard show. Stugotz is a poor man's bababooey. Edited by RaoulDuke79

You people and your ESPN. Back in my younger days, we didn't have cable, lived too far out in the country, and there's no way my Dad would have a BUD (big ugly dish) in his yard. We had The George Michael Sports Machine, once a week, at 11:30pm on Sundays! And we like it!

Wow! That takes me back!

ESPN is a shell of what it once was. complete mismanagement by disney who also owns ABC. we want to watch sports so we don't have to think about life issues and politics and it seems like that's all they want to cover these days

This^^^ I get too much of that crap outside of sports. The last damn place I want to see it is during my sports news. Amen, brother.

You people and your ESPN. Back in my younger days, we didn't have cable, lived too far out in the country, and there's no way my Dad would have a BUD (big ugly dish) in his yard. We had The George Michael Sports Machine, once a week, at 11:30pm on Sundays! And we like it!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCC3RQsGitg

i remember black and white tv. Is it ok to even say black and white?

Seems to me they're trying to be more of the E (entertainment) than the S (sports) in their name. They're forgetting what made them so successful

THIS. They are really going to have to pare back their budget. The declining viewership is a reflection of their poor leadership- letting their best talent go, adding in poor choices in Dan LeBatard and Jemele Hill, treating their most successful host Colin Cowherd poorly, adding in more entertainment fluff than sports meat, an inability to replace aging sports icons and most of all their political nonsense. It is safe to say that Jemele Hill was thought of as mediocre at BEST long before her comment about the President, and it's an avalanche right now.

I gave up ESPN years ago. Such a shame- it used to be great! First they fired Schwaby after 28 years- http://www.businessinsider.com/schwab-slams-espn-letter-firing-2013-6

Then they try and kill hockey- burying highlights to 3 second clips following WNBA hghlights.

Then since disney bought it-it is PC, into drama, over produced, disloyal, greedy, watered down, unwatchable.......

I now go to MLB.com, NFL.com, and NHL.com. !@#$ espn!

Their baseball coverage and broadcasts are absolutely brutal too.