What's going on with ESPN and the NFL?

Everything evolves. When I was growing up there wasn't an ESPN or an MTV. One of them is already irrelevant and ESPN is in a race to become the next to fall. The people running the network have lost sight of their mission statement...and it shows in the product.

McDonalds shouldn't try to sell salads, MTV should have stuck to music, and ESPN shoutgo back to covering sports!

This. I live in Newfoundland and we don't get ESPN. At first I missed it, but now when TSN links to ESPN shows, I rarely watch because they generally suck. I get my sports news and entertainment online and my live sports through Sunday ticket, MLB at bat and there's enough college football on the networks so I get plenty of that. And hockey? Faggedaboudit, it's everywhere.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything evolves. When I was growing up there wasn't an ESPN or an MTV. One of them is already irrelevant and ESPN is in a race to become the next to fall. The people running the network have lost sight of their mission statement...and it shows in the product.

McDonalds shouldn't try to sell salads, MTV should have stuck to music, and ESPN shoutgo back to covering sports!

I wish there was an MTV 'throwback' station, just play archived broadcasts from the 80's and 90's.

I want my MTV....

Exactly! Don't try to be something you're not!

I hate this term honestly. People act like they're not paying the cable company, when most people get their high-speed internet from...the cable company.

Just a pet peeve. Carry on with the thread.

each week someone self-righteously crows they don't watch TV anymore, yeah you watch through "computer" access now.

I hate this term honestly. People act like they're not paying the cable company, when most people get their high-speed internet from...the cable company.

Although, sign of the times. We have always just had HS internet, not cable or phone. We don't watch enough TV to justify it. So the cable company has had a filter on our line that scrambles the cable signal because, you know, possible to buy a box and pull out the cable signal if the line is running into the house.

Last time we had trouble with internet, they took the filter off. No longer enough people trying to steal cable signal to justify the cost of the replacement, the repairman said.

A lot of old men yelling at clouds here, as it always is when ESPN comes up.

Things change. They can't just run highlights for 10 hours a day anymore, you can get all the highlights you care about on demand in less than 10 minutes. There's a segment of the audience that loves the Stephen A. hot takery, I've never gotten it but it does well. If you want your old school bland sports talk show, Mike & Mike still crank it out daily.

Maybe ESPN is tired of giving the NFL hours of advertising and millions (billions) of dollars for garbage Monday night football games. Maybe interest in the NFL is declining precipitously and ESPN is trying to appeal to a broader audience. Want NFL coverage? Watch NFL net, they've been doing a better job than ESPN for almost a decade at this point. It's an on demand society, there's a podcast out there for any in-depth individual topic one may want able to be downloaded and listened to whenever your time allows. The belief that Espn should air non-stop highlights while two guys crack bad jokes is incredibly out of touch.

My district closed down about a dozen schools because they speak 30 different languages, and need 30 different interpreters.

All the houses around the schools dropped it property value, and people moved out. Now they are condemned and I fight off mice in my house. I saw one of them burn down.

Not exactly a cloud.

I cut the cord in January. I had Directv/ATT.

Cutting the cord is a legit term because even though I still have the internet through them, they lost $80.00 a month from me because I no longer have their cable.

I wish there was an MTV 'throwback' station, just play archived broadcasts from the 80's and 90's.

I want my MTV....

There "kind of" is one, MTV Music took over Palladia.

But yes, to go back to Remote Control, the original Real World's, "World Premiers" of videos, etc.

each week someone self-righteously crows they don't watch TV anymore, yeah you watch through "computer" access now.

Watching one of the national morning shows this morning, they were talking about a new television show coming out this fall.

It is going to be on Netflix.

Imo its become more about drama. They have gone almost full 24/7 news bantor and opinion. They had some success with afternoon shows but have used that model for everything. Imo double down on sports coverage. More actually injury reporting than spectualtion. Football is most popular sport. Why? Its the easist and least complicated sport to bet on. So that should be there contend. ESPN is slipping because they are the last to get information and are becoming less and less accurate. More individual player matchups in team and weekly game predictions. Overal their coverage has slipped and the highlights are easjer to get for your individual teams. So many sources flr information and easier ways to stream contend they want to watch. 24/7 talk tv is dying.

Disney has alot of content. Alway a user to sign up for espn directly. Pull regional coverage into their streaming umbrella and let people watch the games theh want. Put more money into sports commentators and less into o air personalities.

ESPN is a shell of what it once was. complete mismanagement by disney who also owns ABC. we want to watch sports so we don't have to think about life issues and politics and it seems like that's all they want to cover these days

Good point. They want to be Taken Seriously, as Journalists. But come on, man. I just want to zone out and watch highlights.

There "kind of" is one, MTV Music took over Palladia.

But yes, to go back to Remote Control, the original Real World's, "World Premiers" of videos, etc.

Interesting on the Palladia point.

But yes, I'm taking throw in an archived tape and press 'play'. I want "YO! MTV Raps", "Headbangers Ball", "120 Minutes" and all the "Buzz Clips" they can find.

Kurt Loder and MTV News inspired me to take media studies/documentary minors when I was at UB in the early 90's.

And 'The Real World' was a lot of fun to dissect in documentary class, how they played with cuts and mashed scenes together to create storylines.

Seems to me they're trying to be more of the E (entertainment) than the S (sports) in their name. They're forgetting what made them so successful

Well they're not the Disney channel, and the NFL is drifting. Since they (NFL) chose not to stand up to the on field "protesters" we are missing both the Sports and the Entertainment!

So they both will continue to lose viewers, revenue and ratings.

Right but it's a monopoly and people have no choice. Just like you only get your water from a single source.

The layoffs are part of it. And they're shifting their focus to putting more content on their digital platforms as more and more Americans cut the cord.

I think that you are right here Gug. In general to the interest in the NFL has started to decline while the NBA and college football are on the rise. They've spread their coverage (even incorporating a bunch more boxing). It feels like they want to spread their coverage a little more than in the past.